Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 85,650 times

Advertisements

What is most popular in the area? Is it the Herald-Tribune or something out of Tampa bay or maybe Miami? We couldn't get a newspaper where we lived for the last four years, and it's time to start up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,338,698 times
Herald Tribune is probably the most popular outdated delivery in Sarasota. Personally, Google News is great.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,091,623 times
The Observer is kind of cool and it is free (weekly). Local news is fun in a new location.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:41 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,681,892 times
herald tribune delivered seven days a week is about $65/quarter

Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM

597 posts, read 1,437,839 times
FYI I ended up canceling the Herald Tribune because they are soooo liberal that anything that negatively effects their agenda, they just don't write about it. There would be major stories/facts that just went unreported due to their politics. Even the editorals were intentionally selected to follow their agenda. Crime stories would intentionally leave out race, etc. How am I supposed to be on the look out for a male, approx. 24 yrs old who is on the run? If the criminal is white, they state it. Anything else, it is left up to the imagination. Way too PC.

I am an Independent voter but my God,at least report the facts honestly and let US form our own opinion.

Locally I would go with the Observer which is free and world news, etc., I would go with WSJ.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,668,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
FYI I ended up canceling the Herald Tribune because they are soooo liberal that anything that negatively effects their agenda, they just don't write about it. There would be major stories/facts that just went unreported due to their politics. Even the editorals were intentionally selected to follow their agenda. Crime stories would intentionally leave out race, etc. How am I supposed to be on the look out for a male, approx. 24 yrs old who is on the run? If the criminal is white, they state it. Anything else, it is left up to the imagination. Way too PC.

I am an Independent voter but my God,at least report the facts honestly and let US form our own opinion.

Locally I would go with the Observer which is free and world news, etc., I would go with WSJ.
Agree with all of this- spot on.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,025,995 times
One claim you will never read on the front or editorial page of the Herald-Tribune - 'We are fair and balanced'. But if you want to read Democrat propaganda, the Herald Tribune is for you.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM

20 posts, read 30,070 times
I take only one periodical the WSJ..

Every paper has a political bent whether it's the WSJ, The Washington Times, the NY Times, St Louis Post Dispatch, The Atlanta Constitution.....liberal, conservative etc...

News is not news anymore...just look at the garbage of MSNBC, the total muck of FOX News, CNN lost its way.

I just read the AP news wire for straight facts....or maybe the Bloomberg. We used to get straight news even from the BBC, not so much anymore. The Australian Press is fairly good on worldwide issue, so was the Jerusalem Post until it got to be a Zionist rag.

Locally, the only paper I care to read for content is the St Petersburg/TAMPA BAY Times.

The local herald tribune is good sometimes, and fish-wrap sometimes.

Everything seems biased in 2014. The days of Chet Huntley and David Brinkley are gone...now you have idiots like Sean Hannity, and Rachel Maddow.....enough to make you simply get physically ill.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM

20 posts, read 30,070 times
The days of good to great newspapers seem gone as well. In the south/Midwest there still are fairly good well-written for content papers that I have found good - some, however quite bad over the years :

The Atlanta Constitution - Decent to Good
The Arkansas Gazette - Good (yes I said good)
The Miami Herald - Fair
The Tampa Tribune - Fair
The Orlando Sentinel - Bad to Fair
The Huntsville Times (north AL) - Decent
The Birmingham News - Bad to Fair
The Jackson Sun (midsouth and MS) - Bad
The Commercial Appeal (midsouth and Memphis) - Bad
The Jacksonville Time-Union - Bad to Fair
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Decent to Good

I used to have a minimum of three papers delivered, plus the Sunday New York Times, but I can get most regional content/local stories online in those respective cities.

By far, many papers have turned into fish-wrap filled with aggravating advertising circulars that fall out of the paper - very annoying.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,192,889 times
The Herald if you want local news. I never found it to be any different than any other newspaper. I think it is a decent paper and most of the world news has been taken from other newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area