Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 PM

42 posts, read 83,847 times

Advertisements

I have searched and searched this forum and the internet. I have not been able to find anything about the new maps that are supposed to take effect in the Summer of 2015.

How are prospective home buyers supposed to know where to look or what to rule out if the preliminary maps aren't available?

If anyone knows where the new maps and BFE information can be found, please share the information.

In another post, this was provided as having new maps, Florida DEM Disaster Preparedness Maps. But this shows hurricane evacuation zones, not flood zones.

I really don't want to have to wait until next year after the maps come out before buying, but if that's what I have to do, then I will. I can't imagine anything worse than to buy now thinking the property is good, only to have the new maps show it in a flood zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 36,479 times
Take a look at this site.

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga_Bob View Post
Take a look at this site.

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/
Thanks Tartuga_Bob. If I'm ready the information correctly, it looks like the project status for Sarasota County is on hold and it has a projected effective date of 04/19/2016.

If this is correct, looks like I will just have to rely on current maps and keep my fingers crossed that the zone doesn't change.

How often do flood maps usually change? When changes have been made, is it unusual for a property to go from not in a flood zone to in a flood zone?

Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Here is a link to the current Sarasota County Flood Map information - https://www.scgov.net/FloodMaps/Docu...te%20Flyer.pdf

Here is a link to the FEMA Flood Map Service - https://msc.fema.gov/portal

Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkx2 View Post
If this is correct, looks like I will just have to rely on current maps and keep my fingers crossed that the zone doesn't change.
I am in the same situation as you. At this point it seems all you can do is check the specific property for the most up to date info. Also, you can view elevations using Google Earth and make a judgement as to whether or not you think this is high enough. I doubt that a home in Zone X (unshaded) will suddenly become high risk. I guess it really comes down to a personal comfort level. Some people don't mind being in a flood zone but I would prefer not to have the insurance premiums to pay as they will only go up in the future. Right now I live at 400+ elevation at the top of a ridge, so this flood stuff is rather new to me.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
TamRE: Thanks for this link. The maps are helpful, if rather old.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Here is a link to the current Sarasota County Flood Map information - https://www.scgov.net/FloodMaps/Docu...te%20Flyer.pdf

Thanks for the links. I have used both. Good to know that I have been successful at finding the right areas. I have trouble with the maps since the detail, such as streets, either aren't on the maps or aren't labeled. The newer communities aren't even shown. Guess I'll have to rely on my realtor and hopefully the insurance company can help me with the details.

I have found one property that is a new construction. The listing says the flood zone is X but the maps say the area is zone AE. Can new construction be done in a way to change the flood zone designation? I find it hard to believe that it's allowed to provide misleading and incorrect information of this nature in a real estate listing.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkx2 View Post
Thanks for the links. I have used both. Good to know that I have been successful at finding the right areas. I have trouble with the maps since the detail, such as streets, either aren't on the maps or aren't labeled. The newer communities aren't even shown. Guess I'll have to rely on my realtor and hopefully the insurance company can help me with the details.

I have found one property that is a new construction. The listing says the flood zone is X but the maps say the area is zone AE. Can new construction be done in a way to change the flood zone designation? I find it hard to believe that it's allowed to provide misleading and incorrect information of this nature in a real estate listing.
Someone else posted a similar story on c-d recently. New construction, told flood zone was X but showed on maps as AE. If I remember correctly, when they went to get insurance for closing they found out the property was in flood zone AE, not X as they were originally told. I wonder if that other poster was dealing with the same builder?

Manatee county already has the new, preliminary flood maps available, have had them available for some time. What I'd like to know if why Sarasota county has not only fallen behind their original date deadlines, the status of the project is listed as "on hold." I did note they have now moved the effective date for final maps out another year, to April of 2016.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,836 times
For those who find the online flood maps difficult to read (I am one) because they have no street names on any maps you can also call the county with a property address and they will tell you what the current flood zone is.

I know you are asking about what future flood zones are but many people want to know what the current flood zone is if they are ready to buy.

Of course this will not tell you what elevation a home is built to if it is in a flood zone and that would have to come from the current owner (maybe their flood policy) or pay to have it done.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Sunshine, it might have been at Esplanade in LWR. I think we came across a map that showed the unimproved rating to be AE but the lots were then X once the development was graded and re-contoured, so to speak. I have been told that many of the lakes in LWR are inter-connected with a network of underground pipes so excess rain can be distributed among many lakes should any one get high enough. I've also seen many maps where the area immediately around a lake or pond might be in an A-something zone but the lots, themselves are X. A lender told me recently that a lot that is partially in an A-something zone does not require flood insurance as long as the house, itself, is not situated on that portion of the lot, assuming the remainder of the lot is in the X zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area