Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM

23 posts, read 35,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Make sure you get a boat inspected by a non-interested inspector, figure out in advance where you want it to be docket at, whether or not it will be a dry or a wet dock, or determine if you want to haul it in the water every time with a truck and a trailer. There's a lot of options here, all cost money. Marinas will charge you $9-$12/ft/month for your boat.

Check on how much gas your boat costs per hour to run. Mine gets 0.8 miles per gallon. Yes, zero point eight. I can burn through 40 gallons of fuel in an hour. Bigger boats == more gas.
That sounds like it's awfully costly to store and fuel a boat of that size!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I hate to the bearer of bad news but I believe that was Cardiff's suggestion.

My personal fave for you was "Wave Theory" even if it was uninspired.
Quote:
Oh, that's good then. I dont mind stealing from Cardiff at all.
While I am honored to be credited with a good idea, I cannot tell a lie. It was not me. My suggestion was "Smart Ass."

Ben--hate to tell you this, but here we have anecdotal evidence that senility is contagious. The person who came up with the name "Entangled" was none other than you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...inspector.html

And I appreciated your name. It gave me a passing acquaintance with a theory I had never heard of. Thank you. But I am sorry you didn't go with your wife's preferred name.

Quote:
I'd just hate to call the Cortez bridge. "Attention Cortez Bridge, this is the Now I'm Broke requesting the bridge be raised, confirm on channel six-teen, Over!"

Old 09-28-2014, 05:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
OMG, that's hilarious! Well, no wonder you liked that name.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:48 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Wow! Go figure. I better enjoy life before dementia hits any further.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post
Thanks guys for all this great info. We are a family of 5 and are interested in light fishing, sunning, swimming, snorkeling. That type of thing.

I'll check out those local courses.
You are on the right path. The courses will give you confidence and make you safe and other boaters safe. Be prepared to see many, many, unsafe boat operators but you don't have to be one of them. You might also visit boat shows and read some magazines for ideas of what will work for you, then see if you can rent the same type somewhere. With five, I imagine you will need at least 21 feet to be comfortable but there are many configurations out there. The smaller boats need smaller engines (choices there, too) but they get tight fast, if you know what I mean. Do you think you'd trailer it?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 18,286 times
Maybe this:

Freedom Boat Club | Private Membership Boating Club

Maybe a little pricey, but there are a variety of membership options. Also meet ups where you can talk to other boaters.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
There's been a few threads about Freedom Boat Club. The majority of members were upset at the poor quality of the boats, the expensive membership fees, and lack of being able to get a boat in season when they want to use it, as well as the early returning times.

I cant say I dont recommend them, though, but for sure, do your homework if a membership club is for you.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
We became boat owners of a 20' Key West (with cuddy) after moving here, and learned what a cuddy was at that time :-)

The best info can be gained from other boat owners, in our case our neighbors. Look and see what they are driving. The biggest decision we had to make was pontoon/deck boat vs. traditional hull. We did not get a pontoon but there are advantages because of how shallow the water is here. Pontoons are also good for older/young people getting on and off.

Fisherpeople also like a walk-around style boat with center console (which we don't have). We tried fishing, aren't good at it so we just cruise, photograph or visit Pedro Island and Stump Pass. Some people like to cruise out to lunch, maybe to Palm Island then home.

Sarasota, Venice and Englewood are beautiful by boat, a whole nother world but there are a LOT of bad boat drivers especially on weekends, probably fueled by alcohol. We don't go out much on weekends or holidays so if those are your available days take that into account. Sunset cruises with your family are priceless but as a captain you don't get to relax, you are responsible for their safety at all times.

Maybe you have a family member who could go shares on the boat to save money. It will be expensive to rent dock space or storage unless you put yours on a trailer and learn how to launch at public boat launches. Lots of people do that. Go any Saturday morning and sit and watch. A learning experience and maybe you'll get to talk to people.

We took the safe boating class and passed the written test but about 70% of the boaters out there didn't.
Would we buy the boat again? Yes, absolutely. Will we sell it in a few more years? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe get a pontoon haha.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,529 times
Once you get some basic knowledge about boating, spend a half a year reading the posts on the website "The Hull Truth". Entertaining and very informative once you learn who knows what they are talking about. That site was the most important reading for me before I bought my first saltwater boat.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 35,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Fisherpeople also like a walk-around style boat with center console (which we don't have). We tried fishing, aren't good at it so we just cruise, photograph or visit Pedro Island and Stump Pass. Some people like to cruise out to lunch, maybe to Palm Island then home.
Sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area