Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times

Advertisements

There was an interesting story on the front cover of this past week's Observer, a small local newspaper. According to the article, 74 of the 78 lots in Panther Ridge now have a view of a 200 foot tall cell tower. A cell tower that they had no clue was being built before work started in August. That right, no one notified the neighbors who's homes back up to the new tower or even the homeowners association of what was going up next door.

Apparently the county did not have to notify the homeowners about the tower because, although it is very close to residential properties, the cell tower was installed on agriculturally zoned land of 40 or more acres in size. And since it met that criteria, notification was not required.

This might be a heads up to other neighborhoods east of I-75 that back up to agriculturally zoned land as it was stated in the article that the area has a need for more such cell towers to provide service to the growing area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
It's very hard to stop a cell tower from going up. I'm on our local Board of Adjustment in NJ and we've heard an application for a cell tower. There have been several cases in the federal courts and the courts ruled in favor of the cell tower owners. Since the precedent has been set on a federal level (they are considered a benefit to the public), about the only thing local towns can do is try to influence height, placement, and camouflage (they use fake pine trees up north, or stick them in church steeples).

It would have been nice however if the prospective homeowners had been warned before they purchased their houses. I'm a little surprised the builder didn't have to disclose it. Maybe you don't have to notify adjacent property owners in Fl, but in NJ any property within 200 ft of the property where the tower is going to be located must be notified. So I wonder if the builder knew it was going up if the property was adjacent. If so, I would have thought it would have to have been disclosed- unless only individual property owners need to provide a sellers disclosure. Unless it wasn't close enough for notification.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
Everyone wants service, nobody wants the towers. Sigh. Humanity.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 19,455 times
If that notified the owners of the property adjacent to Panther Ridge, they couldn't do anything about it anyway ! it's not like the tower builder was sneaking around, and the HOA couldn't do crap. There are worse things to be erected that a cell tower, such as a row of regional high voltage transmission lines, or an unsightly water tower like Big Blue on 75, or a Sheriff's Department Heli Pad ( and listen to take-offs and landings all night). Panther Ridge is sort of "out there" anyway. Who cares?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I think everyone would care if it was in their backyard and they are really being honest about it. The people in River Club and Summerfield in LWR were successful in blocking the construction of towers in their communities.

Last edited by bbronston; 09-30-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM

12 posts, read 19,455 times
So ? LWR isn't Panther Ridge, not the same zoning/density, etc

Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBondTraders View Post
So ? LWR isn't Panther Ridge, not the same zoning/density, etc
I'm just saying that the people who grant the permits for these things need to balance the need for their construction with the proximity to existing homes. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's one thing to build a tower and to then develop a community right next to it. It is another to plop one down next to an existing community, particularly when there are other locations available. These towers are business enterprises and the purpose of zoning is to help everyone coexist in a sensible way. I don't know the details but, with all the land out there, I have a hard time not believing that the location of this tower was more about profit than it was about having concern for the existing homeowners and that, IMHO, was wrong.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I think everyone would care if it was in their backyard and they are really being honest about it. The people in River Club and Summerfield in LWR were successful in blocking the construction of towers in their communities.
Interesting. Do you know how they did that? Just curious.

I should have added that the cell tower company has to prove a gap in coverage and a need for the tower. Perhaps they couldn't prove that in LWR. There probably was a gap if Panther Ridge is out in the boonies.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 AM

At the time, the coverage in LWR was a bit spotty but there. I don't recall the details but IIRC the hearings that usually precede the permit were stacked by upset and concerned homeowners. I'm sure you'll find it if you Google River Club and cell tower.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
At the time, the coverage in LWR was a bit spotty but there. I don't recall the details but IIRC the hearings that usually precede the permit were stacked by upset and concerned homeowners. I'm sure you'll find it if you Google River Club and cell tower.
I took your suggestion and Googled it. The crux of the reason, “As previously cited, the Eleventh Circuit has held that aesthetic objections coupled with evidence of an adverse impact on property values or safety concerns can constitute substantial evidence,” Kovachevich wrote. “The court finds that the aesthetic objections to the cell tower, coupled with evidence of the negative impact of the proposed cell tower on property values, constitute a substantial evidence within the written record to support the (board of county commissioners’) denial of Plaintiff’s application.” I applaud the judge. We have not been as successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: