Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
The 6% you mention is a sales taxes. There is no sales tax on food.

The tax withheld from your paycheck is an income tax. At a federal level, the rates will be the same in any state. There is no income tax at a state level in Florida.

The state makes up for not having an income tax by having higher property taxes than many other (but not all) states. Whether the property taxes here seem high to you depends on how high they are where you live. Of course, you would only be paying property taxes if you purchase property. You could see what the prior years tax is on any property you would be considering. The tax will be based on the appraised value of the property. In periods in which real estate values are increasing, you could expect an increase in property tax, but the increase would be limited to 3% if it is your home.

I think the landlords of rental property pay a lodging tax on leases of less than 6 months. If you are in that situation of a very short term lease, the landlord will just make the rent higher so that you are indirectly paying the tax instead of the landlord. But that is not a tax you will know you are paying.

Florida tries to pass the tax burden to tourists by having high taxes on rental cars.
I realize that real estate taxes in other parts of the can be higher than in Sarasota area, but I still look fondly on my old homes in Long Island, NY. Our current house here would go for double there, and the taxes are 12,000 per year as opposed to 2,500 here. So I'm still thrilled about paying 2,500 per.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM

244 posts, read 372,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
I realize that real estate taxes in other parts of the can be higher than in Sarasota area, but I still look fondly on my old homes in Long Island, NY. Our current house here would go for double there, and the taxes are 12,000 per year as opposed to 2,500 here. So I'm still thrilled about paying 2,500 per.
EXACTLY what i was thinking.... just moved here in august and received my tax bill and laughed !!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Sarasota County has a considerably higher millage rate(s) than Collier County, fwiw...
All things aren't equal, but the total millage is 'considerable' in "Venice S C", imo.
Obviously not NY, (we lived there for 3 decades), but considerable, esp on new house construction.
GL, mD

Old 10-11-2014, 07:19 AM

707 posts, read 1,052,159 times
Part of that mill went to new schools in Sarasota, which ranks consistently in the top 5 in the state.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
This is why I like Sarasota County Florida - schools are good - main reason we chose it - better schools = higher property values also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area