Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:52 PM

287 posts, read 589,663 times

Advertisements

Lets face it. We have to give credit where it is actually due.

Walking a tightrope at a height of 1 ft or 10,000 ft is the
same physical effort. (Wallenda has the fear of heights
under control).

What is more impressive is something that takes a lot more
physical effort while at the same time has a chance for major
injury as walking a tightrope.

The High School teen in these videos we think is more of
hero than Nic Wallenda.

Nic Wallenda should really start walking up buildings in 5 steps
(over 10 feet high) to stop the loss of interest in his high height
tightrope walks.

Here's to you ... all the forgotten teens out there that are
the true heros of courageousness without all the hype...

GIANT Wallflips In Slow Motion - Parkour/Freerunning - YouTube

4 Step Wallflip! FOR NATHAN - YouTube

Giant 2 Step (Same Foot) Wallflip! - Parkour/Freerunning - YouTube

2 Step (1 Footed) Wallflip! FOR BRIAN - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 AM

130 posts, read 234,190 times
Are you kidding ???

Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerluli View Post
Are you kidding ???
Exactly ~ I'm all about kids doing great things but please ~ Nik Wallenda is a SRQ institution ~ don't down him ~ c'mon now: He's done Niagra Falls, the Ritz walk downtown SRQ, The Grand (HELLO) Canyon & now Chicago blindfolded....

Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 AM

547 posts, read 926,238 times
I take issue with "The Grand Canyon" He was not allowed to use Park Service (our) property. He did cross "Little Colorado Gorge".
Look, I think he's a good guy, but there are plenty of those around this and every town who don't ask for or get hero status. Like a Paramedic at an accident scene,Firefighters, an officer walking into the unknown responding to shots fired, the nurses and MD's saving lives.
Sorry for ranting. I was probably in the great minority who didn't waste a second watching.
Good guy? for sure. Role model or hero? I say no. Thankfully we are all entitled to our opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Exactly ~ I'm all about kids doing great things but please ~ Nik Wallenda is a SRQ institution ~ don't down him ~ c'mon now: He's done Niagra Falls, the Ritz walk downtown SRQ, The Grand (HELLO) Canyon & now Chicago blindfolded....

Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
We will have to agree to disagree on this subject. I would not put the stunts of this teenager in the same category of Nik Wallenda, who holds at least 8 Guinness world records for his tightrope walks. I've seen videos of others that have done the walk up the tree or wall stunt, but I do not know of anyone else in the world that has attempted the wire-walks of Nik Wallenda.

On Sunday night Nik took 2 high-wire walks 500-600 feet above Chicago on 3/4 inch thick wire, one part of the walk blindfolded. Blindfolded. Neither walk was a simple task, although Nik made it seem simple. If you had watched the live camera from Nik's vantage point you would have seen what Nik saw as he looked down towards the ground.

In 2012 Nik Wallenda became the first person to walk over Niagra Falls. In 2013 he became the first person to walk over the "Grand Canyon" on a high-wire. When he was just 19 years of age Nik participated in the recreation of the Wallenda Seven Person Pyramid on the high-wire.

My path has crossed Nik Wallenda Troffer's several times over the past 10 years. He is what I would call a humble man, you would never know just meeting him what he has accomplished. He is also a man who puts family and faith as priorities in his life. Sarasota is fortunate to be able to claim Nik Wallenda as one of their own, along with the rich heritage of the Wallenda family, the circus and John Ringling.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I take issue with "The Grand Canyon" He was not allowed to use Park Service (our) property. He did cross "Little Colorado Gorge".
Look, I think he's a good guy, but there are plenty of those around this and every town who don't ask for or get hero status. Like a Paramedic at an accident scene,Firefighters, an officer walking into the unknown responding to shots fired, the nurses and MD's saving lives.
Sorry for ranting. I was probably in the great minority who didn't waste a second watching.
Good guy? for sure. Role model or hero? I say no. Thankfully we are all entitled to our opinion
Agreed ~ Funny but I've never heard him ask for hero or role model status ~

Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantPalmerRanch View Post
Lets face it. We have to give credit where it is actually due.

Walking a tightrope at a height of 1 ft or 10,000 ft is the
same physical effort. (Wallenda has the fear of heights
under control).

What is more impressive is something that takes a lot more
physical effort while at the same time has a chance for major
injury as walking a tightrope.

The High School teen in these videos we think is more of
hero than Nic Wallenda.

Nic Wallenda should really start walking up buildings in 5 steps
(over 10 feet high) to stop the loss of interest in his high height
tightrope walks.

Here's to you ... all the forgotten teens out there that are
the true heros of courageousness without all the hype...
Not even close. He's just freerunning, and really, not even that. Just wallflipping.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:28 PM

547 posts, read 926,238 times
Agreed. Role model was a bad choice of words on my part. Never heard him ask either. The little TV I watch WWSB refers to him as our hometown hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Agreed ~ Funny but I've never heard him ask for hero or role model status ~

Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
Hey, what this kid is doing is pretty cool, but I can't put it in the same category as someone walking a tightrope across a canyon or between two skyscrapers. When I was a kid we used to set up obstacle courses which included running and jumping over standing lawn chairs. Now I can't imagine how I ever did it.

I have a recommendation for this young man....don't gain any weight or you will lose the ability to do this. Right now you're thin, lean and lightweight compared to your strength. For every pound you gain, you will need a corresponding increase in leg strength.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 PM

287 posts, read 589,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Hey, what this kid is doing is pretty cool, but I can't put it in the same category as someone walking a tightrope across a canyon or between two skyscrapers. When I was a kid we used to set up obstacle courses which included running and jumping over standing lawn chairs. Now I can't imagine how I ever did it.

I have a recommendation for this young man....don't gain any weight or you will lose the ability to do this. Right now you're thin, lean and lightweight compared to your strength. For every pound you gain, you will need a corresponding increase in leg strength.

What I'm saying is the concentration factor and physic dexterity is far more
involved in tree and wall climbing.

I'm willing to bet $1.5 million that this kid can learn to walk across a rope
between two skyscrapers sooner than Wallenda can learn to walkup tree
trunks to 9-10 ft tall and flip backwards and land standing?

Wallenda should just go without his balance
beam at least. (problem is he is too large
and not quickly agile as needed for that)

This link is of a better highliner than Wallenda.

Man performs a high wire act with out using a net - YouTube

Don't you agree? Isn't this more impressive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: