Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 AM

58 posts, read 451,938 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me an idea what these costs are - we'd be considering a 3 bedroom, 1700- 2000 sq. feet, newer home. Am I nuts to think we could afford it? Where's it cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2006, 01:38 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Parschauer
Can someone give me an idea what these costs are - we'd be considering a 3 bedroom, 1700- 2000 sq. feet, newer home. Am I nuts to think we could afford it? Where's it cheaper?
Charlotte county is definitely cheaper than Sarasota by about 100K for anything you look at. But....Charlotte county is the dead zone. Nothing to do there. They are still rebuilding/repairing from hurricane. Sarasota is much, much livilier. More costly, tho. What you're looking for in Sarasota will run from 250K to whatever you're willing to pay. But I'm biased here, I live in Sarasota and love it!!! Unemployment low, jobs available. Florida pay, but jobs. Living in Charlotte you have to drive everywhere, to work (meaning at least a 30-45 minute commute), to shop, you get the idea. Schools are better in Sarasota too. Well, good luck. Sarasota doesn't get as much press as Orlando or Tampa, but is prettier and more laid back. Hope this helped.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:57 AM

58 posts, read 451,938 times
Default Thanks sunshine girl

Hmm, good to know. We were considering the North Port area also (price issue), but according to greatschools.net, Port Charlotte looked better than North Port. We have a home office, so no worries about work or a commute, and my parents are in Naples, so I guess it's a toss up with driving to shop etc. Any info. about homeowner's insurance - what am I looking at outside of a flood zone??

thanks!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,160 times
My current bill for homeowners is $1300 for the year. Can't tell you about anyplace but sarasota. flood insurance is separate and required if you live in a flood zone, which isn't necessarily just along the coast itself. Don't know what your school web site compares, but north port schools are overcrowded. Nothing for kids to do after school. No room at parks for ball teams, etc. Port Charlotte is old people and even less for kids.

Another thought, try Venice. Less costly, more for kids, schools ok. that would be my second choice after Sarasota. Have you considered Ft. Myers since your folks are in Naples? But the beaches and water access is definitely better north of Port Charlotte than ft. myers.

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2006 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 AM

13 posts, read 29,473 times
My wife and I are also considering moving to FL in the near future as well. We are considering at the southern west coast but not sure of where yet. We are looking to be near a Jewish community since we have kids and we feel that it would be good if they were not the only ones in the area we choose. Not that we are very religous but we still want to keep the faith going and also be able to move to FL. We so far have found North Port to have a decent Jewish population, but now I am hearng that is is crowded. I am not looking to move from NJ to FL to be crowded although I am pretty sure that crowded is not the same as here in NJ. Sorry for being so long winded but my question here is: What areas have a Jewsih population and also what is the average homeowners insurance rate for area like North Port/Ft Myers/Cape Coral?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 57,552 times
If you're looking at homes via the internet from sites like homes.com you can get the address and the go on the county tax websites. They may give you an idea on the taxes and if the house is in a flood zone or not.

Don't know if links are allowed here or not but...

Lee County http://www.leepa.org/Queries/SearchCriteria.htm
Charlotte County http://www.ccappraiser.com/rp_real_search.asp?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
Northport isn't the deal it seems. I noticed most places have "well" water.

Well water in S Fla? Yeeech. Even blowing 7 or 8 grand on a filtration system that water is pretty bad. Also look at the swales in front of the houses these last couple of days. See all that water sitting there for the mosquitos to breed? Tells you a lot about the drainage and the quality of that well water.

Someone told me they had 3 inch long catfish in their swale.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:24 AM

80 posts, read 340,764 times
Both real estate taxes and insurance rates along have increased significantly throughout the entire region.

The North Port water situation is a non-event. Adequate filtration systems are included in most new home packages.

Drainage and street condition in North Port has been an issue however in 2007you will see significant improvements in both.

The area is growing for a reason.......great new Sarasota County schools, close to Gulf Beaches, close to several Golf Courses, new Shopping Centers and land that is now priced right not over valued as in many areas of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area