Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 6,973 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here built a home (or represented someone building a home) with John Cannon Homes? If so, I would love to hear opinions on the quality of construction and the honesty of initial contract specs.

Also, anyone familiar with the Country Club East section of Lakewood Ranch? Are there young families there (mid 30s)? Or, is it dominated by empty-nesters? Is it overly pretentious? I recall hearing a few years back that Country Club East was supposed to be younger and more casual compared to the old LWR Country Club neighborhood.

Any feedback on JC Homes or the CCE neighborhood is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 AM

707 posts, read 1,047,437 times
Young families not so much. Empty nesters yes. Pretentious probably. Small lots, not much room to play for the kiddies plus they probably restrict you being able to put in play structures and or fencing....

Why pay all that money in CDD fees and HOA fees in Lakewood Ranch, when that kind of money would allow a family with children to buy more house for the same total outlay?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback dpbarr2000...I definitely am not a fan of the high LWR fees, but the location is great for my work and the schools are great for the kids. Plus, we have family and friends in the area. The lots we looked at in CCE are ~.5 acres. So, they would provide some space to run and play. Not being able to put up a basic swingset/play area might be a dealbreaker though. As I drove through, I did see a decent amount of basketball hoops, which I considered a good sign.

Any thoughts on JCH?

Old 12-20-2014, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,986 times
Cannon is very difficult to work for and with. Has experienced recent high turnover (two designers and one Job super). We are currently building with Cannon because we believed him to be of high quality and a builder truly focussed on meeting the needs and desires of the homeowners. I would NOT do it again nor would I recommend JCH to anyone.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,094,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToFla View Post
Cannon is very difficult to work for and with. Has experienced recent high turnover (two designers and one Job super). We are currently building with Cannon because we believed him to be of high quality and a builder truly focussed on meeting the needs and desires of the homeowners. I would NOT do it again nor would I recommend JCH to anyone.

I do not mean this post to disagree with your opinion. But I would not hold the turn over against any builder. They all laid off a ton of people in the downturn and were afraid to ramp back up staff when the market began to turn. Now they are all short staffed and are poaching each others employees. And because the builders are short staffed, the staff they have are overworked.

I read in an article on employment trends that job super is the position in the highest demand in Florida. If Cannon only lost one, they are doing well.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,340,181 times
Quote:
Great first post!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM

NewToFla,

Has your bad experience with JCH been more about high turnover/poor responsiveness or are there other issues? Also, if you don't mind sharing, where are you building. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 PM

As for the turnover, our second Super worked for Cannon for less than 180 days...When I asked why he was leaving he told me directly that JCH is a very difficult place to work and that he got a better offer.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,094,133 times
Quote:
As for the turnover, our second Super worked for Cannon for less than 180 days...When I asked why he was leaving he told me directly that JCH is a very difficult place to work and that he got a better offer.
I don't think the original poster is asking about the employees experience. What is relevant to this thread is the client experience. What specifically did Cannon do or not do in dealing with you that made you dissatisfied with them? Are you mainly unhappy because of having to deal with multiple supers?

Did you ever consider that if the super was there less than 180 days that maybe he didn't make it out of the probationary period. People who are forced to leave usually badmouth the employer. It is never their fault. It is always someone else's.

I have a friend who has worked for Cannon for about 5 years and thinks the company is terrific. Great benefits. He told me that they lost two supers because they thought it was too much trouble to comply with the quality control checklists. Cannon is more demanding and that is a good thing.

There is an Emerald Home under construction next door to us. They have gone through two supers since June. When I was talking to the inspector, he said Emerald Homes supers quit cause they don't like driving around to all the spec homes. Supers want to manage projects that are in one subdivision. There is always something that is not the perfect working conditions.

Back to the question. What did Cannon do to you that makes you dissatisfied? How far along is your house?

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 12-20-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Recognizing that WPIES is in the process of making a decision on a builder and also recognizing that Cannon is currently building our home, I have shared details of our experience directly with WPIES.

I agree that turnover can be an issue for any builder and that high quality people are always in demand. The super that left during the 180 day period was exceptional, had many years of experience building high end homes and his boss at Cannon confirmed to me that he was exceptional but found a job he preferred over JCH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area