Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM

287 posts, read 299,965 times

Advertisements

Forget insurance the second the company finds out the home is unoccupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
^^^ We have never had a problem with the usual homeowner's insurance, on our SFH in Naples for 9 seasons,
and this new SFH in Venice area, for the past year. Nor do we have any problem with our domiciled home back in the mtns of far western NC...

In both cases, the agent and the company doing the underwriting were told up front that we were seasonal/non-rez.

Reasonable costs, good coverage, (we were able to pick and choose from options and delete stuff we didn't want),
all without a raised eyebrow or threat, or having to make up a story.

All these scary insurance concerns must come from some weird agents/underwriters, or urban myth, imo.
GL, mD

Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 AM

287 posts, read 299,965 times
The elderly lady down the street from me had her house listed and had moved out. Her insurance was cancelled. Fortunately, it just sold. No myth.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ill-insurance/

Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
^ No arm wrestle, but that anecdote is not analogous to one having a seasonal home.
My anecdote was simply that I have never had a problem or an inflated HI ins cost for a seasonal home, in 10+ seasons here in SW FL.

And I have had a few different agents/underwriters over those 10 'seasons'. I was simply responding to the comment implying that an unoccupied house other than seasonal, would have its HI cancelled, arbitrarily...

Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,561 times
I'd highly suggest getting someone to look in on the property periodically. My friend got to know his neighbor fairly well and gives him a healthy gift card as appreciation for him looking in on his property. The neighbor spotted water running down the drive way and was able to stop the leak from the garage before any major damage. Also tipped off the homeowner his lawn care company wasn't cutting weekly while he was being charged for it.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 AM

251 posts, read 409,271 times
I second having a neighbor check in on the home regularly. Many in our neighborhood do that. Others use a homewatch service.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:08 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,856 times
If you are buying a home, your neighbors will be your best resource at keeping an eye on your property. Same with a condo. Make sure the main water is shut off. Cable and phone have plans for snowbirds who will only be using their services for short periods during the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area