Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,957 times

Advertisements

Sarasota Blues, I hear you, and perhaps the generalizations could be relaxed a bit. I by no means am trying to say that everyone is overweight, or everyone is this or that. And I do agree that perhaps there are far better places in Florida, compared to North Port. I'm sure so many people out there will assume I am a snob because of the comparison to San Diego or because of references to people with tatoos or being overweight. However, I really am a pretty normal guy and having lived in Colorado and California for many years and having those experiences to compare to, I know what I know and I know what I've seen and I can tell you that Florida does have some serious problems and my life has never been such a daily struggle until coming to Florida. And I don't think it's just a string of bad luck. I don't mean to offend everyone who has a totoo or people who are overweight or smoke. Some people with tatoos are actually pretty cool. But it could also be said there is a statistical connection between educated people with good jobs not being covered from head to toe with tatoos and a lesser-educated crowd that gets drunk, parties, can't hold down a good job, etc.

Some people may say I am shallow because I made a reference to people who are overweight. Or they might say a person's personality is more important than their physical appearance. And I would agree. But I also believe that a good personality is also connected with good self esteem and people with good esteem tend to take better care of themselves and therefore might try to exorcise, eat right, groom, and avoid limiting their career choices by covering themselves with tatoos. Therefore, one's outter appearance is connected to what's on the inside. Some might say it's bad to judge people, but in this day and age, it is necessary for survival.

At any rate, I have met some terrific people in Florida, so I will attest to that and you seem pretty cool yourself. I guess I'm just frustrated with what I've seen of Florida. I can't stand the heat, the squadrons of mosquitoes, my pets suffering year-round from fleas, and I honestly do believe the population of Florida harbors a lesser desirable crowd by and large.

My dad retired, left San Diego and talked me into moving here. He has since become frustrated with Florida and went back to California. Now I wish I had stayed there.

When I drove across the country, I had no problems on the road, until I came to Interstate 75 South. Nothing but rude tailgaters and crazies all over the place. My girl and I recently took a trip to North Carolina. Cary ranks very highly as one of the safest places in America. I had been in Raleigh-Durham about 10 years ago and really liked it - reminded me of the best of Colorado and California put together. Anyways, while we were there, we were not stared at, did not experience punks blasting their stereos at every stop light, were not tailgated or flipped off, there were plenty of movie theaters, malls, parks, hiking trails, and places to go and things to do. We checked into the jobs and found that North Carolina offers all sorts of jobs and the pay is better. But as soon as we crossed the border from Georgia back into Florida, we were almost immediately assaulted by a steady stream of tailgaters, rude drivers, and punks with stereos blasting. So I have to say, the impression I've had of Florida is not good at all. We've seen Fort Meyers and were not at all impressed. Orlando is one scary place. Jacksonville is a hell hole. The I75 is full of the most rude drivers I've ever seen. Makes Californians look like angels.

By choice, I retired from a career in Information Technology (I was in it for 25 years) and now I paint houses. It's blue-colar, but I love it. I'm no longer attached to a pager 24-7 with a bunch of screaming corporate crybabies. What I do now requires physical endurance, patience, and is a lot harder than most people realize. But the pay down here for painters SUCKS! When I worked for other painters (before starting my own business) I encountered many painters that moved here from up North or out West. Over and over again and again, I kept hearing the same thing - that the pay here in Florida was pathetic, that the employers were crooks, and that the workmanship of contractors here in Florida is deplorable. And I have to mostly agree. Just by moving to North Carolina, I could earn a far better wage doing what I do. My girlfriend is licensed in securities trading and she has experience as a legal assistant. But jobs for security trading around here are practically non-existent and jobs for legal assistants around here pay at the poverty level. So, while we would like to be able to buy a nice house in a safe place in Florida, Florida does not make that very possible for us. Therefore, California or places like North Carolina make a lot more sense for us - and that's why we plan to go soon. The problem is, the real estate market is a big dog doodoo right now, so we're stuck here until our houses sell.

Anyways, thanks for your insight and good luck to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Sarasota Blues, I hear you, and perhaps the generalizations could be relaxed a bit. I by no means am trying to say that everyone is overweight, or everyone is this or that. And I do agree that perhaps there are far better places in Florida, compared to North Port. I'm sure so many people out there will assume I am a snob because of the comparison to San Diego or because of references to people with tatoos or being overweight. However, I really am a pretty normal guy and having lived in Colorado and California for many years and having those experiences to compare to, I know what I know and I know what I've seen and I can tell you that Florida does have some serious problems and my life has never been such a daily struggle until coming to Florida. And I don't think it's just a string of bad luck. I don't mean to offend everyone who has a totoo or people who are overweight or smoke. Some people with tatoos are actually pretty cool. But it could also be said there is a statistical connection between educated people with good jobs not being covered from head to toe with tatoos and a lesser-educated crowd that gets drunk, parties, can't hold down a good job, etc.

Some people may say I am shallow because I made a reference to people who are overweight. Or they might say a person's personality is more important than their physical appearance. And I would agree. But I also believe that a good personality is also connected with good self esteem and people with good esteem tend to take better care of themselves and therefore might try to exorcise, eat right, groom, and avoid limiting their career choices by covering themselves with tatoos. Therefore, one's outter appearance is connected to what's on the inside. Some might say it's bad to judge people, but in this day and age, it is necessary for survival.

At any rate, I have met some terrific people in Florida, so I will attest to that and you seem pretty cool yourself. I guess I'm just frustrated with what I've seen of Florida. I can't stand the heat, the squadrons of mosquitoes, my pets suffering year-round from fleas, and I honestly do believe the population of Florida harbors a lesser desirable crowd by and large.

My dad retired, left San Diego and talked me into moving here. He has since become frustrated with Florida and went back to California. Now I wish I had stayed there.

When I drove across the country, I had no problems on the road, until I came to Interstate 75 South. Nothing but rude tailgaters and crazies all over the place. My girl and I recently took a trip to North Carolina. Cary ranks very highly as one of the safest places in America. I had been in Raleigh-Durham about 10 years ago and really liked it - reminded me of the best of Colorado and California put together. Anyways, while we were there, we were not stared at, did not experience punks blasting their stereos at every stop light, were not tailgated or flipped off, there were plenty of movie theaters, malls, parks, hiking trails, and places to go and things to do. We checked into the jobs and found that North Carolina offers all sorts of jobs and the pay is better. But as soon as we crossed the border from Georgia back into Florida, we were almost immediately assaulted by a steady stream of tailgaters, rude drivers, and punks with stereos blasting. So I have to say, the impression I've had of Florida is not good at all. We've seen Fort Meyers and were not at all impressed. Orlando is one scary place. Jacksonville is a hell hole. The I75 is full of the most rude drivers I've ever seen. Makes Californians look like angels.

By choice, I retired from a career in Information Technology (I was in it for 25 years) and now I paint houses. It's blue-colar, but I love it. I'm no longer attached to a pager 24-7 with a bunch of screaming corporate crybabies. What I do now requires physical endurance, patience, and is a lot harder than most people realize. But the pay down here for painters SUCKS! When I worked for other painters (before starting my own business) I encountered many painters that moved here from up North or out West. Over and over again and again, I kept hearing the same thing - that the pay here in Florida was pathetic, that the employers were crooks, and that the workmanship of contractors here in Florida is deplorable. And I have to mostly agree. Just by moving to North Carolina, I could earn a far better wage doing what I do. My girlfriend is licensed in securities trading and she has experience as a legal assistant. But jobs for security trading around here are practically non-existent and jobs for legal assistants around here pay at the poverty level. So, while we would like to be able to buy a nice house in a safe place in Florida, Florida does not make that very possible for us. Therefore, California or places like North Carolina make a lot more sense for us - and that's why we plan to go soon. The problem is, the real estate market is a big dog doodoo right now, so we're stuck here until our houses sell.

Anyways, thanks for your insight and good luck to you as well.
Have you ever looked into SE. Fl, specifically west Broward and south Palm Beach County? I found myself getting away from that kind of crap down here, while still having some world class amenities. I used to live in Orlando, and it went from being alright (albeit boring) to just plain crappy. Coral Springs is the 10th safest city in the U.S (Cary is safer though), but my city was not listed, and if CD stats mean anything, my city is safer than both, meaning it would probably, more likely than not, be number 2 from what I gathered from CD stats. Check out Weston, Fl. Nice place, and the wages tend to be a lot better on this coast. Freaking expensive though, so they better be! It does sound like NC is a better for you. I would look into moving there.

I would be a miserable fool if I moved to North Port though from California...the only metros areas I could really live in this state are the Broward/Palm Beach County areas really, between the better business climate, lower (IN GENERAL) crime, more sophisticated amenities, good highway and roadway systems (for all who say otherwise, you need to spend some time in any other city, including even Orlando and Jacksonville), diversity in its social/political structure as well as cultures, and generally more well educated people than most of the state.

There are a couple sections of NE FL I would love to live in, but for an urban area, this is it. I found my fit.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-27-2007 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM

134 posts, read 438,520 times
MarkV is a tad harsh, but he's in one part of Florida. I admit that I am not that impressed with Sarasota/SW Florida, but there are parts of California and North Carolina that are just as bad or worse. But one thing I do agree with is that Florida does seem to attract many unsavory types. Ever watch Judge Judy or the People's Court? Where does the low life usually go when they are trying to run away from responsiblity? Florida! But the vast majority of people I knew down there were not like MarkV desribed. I met some great people when I lived there and some are still very good friends.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
I find the Sarasota comments quite amazing. To me it is just about the nicest area in the whole state if you want to be in FL and has so much to offer. There are lots of negatives down here compared to being out west and I do agree in general with most of what Mark says about our state.. Mark you really need to check out I-95 in South Florida if you think drivers in Sarasota County are nuts.

Just my opinion but I'd pick Sarasota and Cary,NC as the two top places in the entire SE part of the US that I'd like to live in..

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM

84 posts, read 354,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
To me it is just about the nicest area in the whole state if you want to be in FL and has so much to offer.
JohnVosilla,...Thank you very much!!! I was beginning to think I was the only person who still appreciates Sarasota. In the 26 years that I've been here, I have seen many changes, mostly for the better. It's still a tremendous place to live. It reminds me of growing up in Ft. lauderdale in the 60's and 70's. Ft. Lauderdale was still a smaller bustling city that was growing.

On the other hand, I am somewhat fortunate, in that I have a decent paying job (by Sarasota standards), and I purchased my home in 1988. Thus, I have a huge amount of equity in my home, that I am considering taking somewhere else and downsizing. When I say "downsizing", that means that I could move to cities such as Raleigh/Cary, N.C, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, and buy a house TWICE the size of my current home in Sarasota, pay cash for it, and STILL be able to bank $100,000+.

I am just an average working shlub, who has been able to save some money over the years, while watching the appreciation in my home and neighborhood skyrocket. I recently discovered this website when it became apparent that I could downsize outside of Florida, which would be a huge upgrade from what I already have. Despite the fact that I would probably be leaving Sarasota and Florida altogether, there are other places where I could be equally as happy, and be that much better off financially. Just so everyone knows, I'm 47, and have had a few decades of financial responsibility to get my life in order. That is why I consider myself somewhat fortunate today. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm far better off than almost anybody I know and associate with. (sorry, I hope I'm not bragging).

Last year I checked out North Carolina, and was quite impressed with many areas. Cary, just outside Raleigh was a very quaint, sleepy little town, but so close to Raleigh, it was very convenient. Charlotte was a seemingly larger city than Raleigh, and the real estate there was even more reasonable than Raleigh. I just love Atlanta too, but the traffic is horrendous, and I would choose to be in the 'burbs if I decided to relocate there.

So, even though I talk up Sarasota quite a bit, the thought of "downsizing/upgrading" to another state weighs heavily on my mind, and is something I will probably consider within the next year or so. I'm traveling to Texas next week to get a better feel for the Houston and Dallas areas. If I ever leave Sarasota, sure, I will miss it,...but the chance to improve financially and professionally are too much to pass up right now.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
JohnVosilla,...Thank you very much!!! I was beginning to think I was the only person who still appreciates Sarasota. In the 26 years that I've been here, I have seen many changes, mostly for the better. It's still a tremendous place to live. It reminds me of growing up in Ft. lauderdale in the 60's and 70's. Ft. Lauderdale was still a smaller bustling city that was growing.

On the other hand, I am somewhat fortunate, in that I have a decent paying job (by Sarasota standards), and I purchased my home in 1988. Thus, I have a huge amount of equity in my home, that I am considering taking somewhere else and downsizing. When I say "downsizing", that means that I could move to cities such as Raleigh/Cary, N.C, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, and buy a house TWICE the size of my current home in Sarasota, pay cash for it, and STILL be able to bank $100,000+.

I am just an average working shlub, who has been able to save some money over the years, while watching the appreciation in my home and neighborhood skyrocket. I recently discovered this website when it became apparent that I could downsize outside of Florida, which would be a huge upgrade from what I already have. Despite the fact that I would probably be leaving Sarasota and Florida altogether, there are other places where I could be equally as happy, and be that much better off financially. Just so everyone knows, I'm 47, and have had a few decades of financial responsibility to get my life in order. That is why I consider myself somewhat fortunate today. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm far better off than almost anybody I know and associate with. (sorry, I hope I'm not bragging).

Last year I checked out North Carolina, and was quite impressed with many areas. Cary, just outside Raleigh was a very quaint, sleepy little town, but so close to Raleigh, it was very convenient. Charlotte was a seemingly larger city than Raleigh, and the real estate there was even more reasonable than Raleigh. I just love Atlanta too, but the traffic is horrendous, and I would choose to be in the 'burbs if I decided to relocate there.

So, even though I talk up Sarasota quite a bit, the thought of "downsizing/upgrading" to another state weighs heavily on my mind, and is something I will probably consider within the next year or so. I'm traveling to Texas next week to get a better feel for the Houston and Dallas areas. If I ever leave Sarasota, sure, I will miss it,...but the chance to improve financially and professionally are too much to pass up right now.
See, this makes a big difference in how happy someone is in a place, no matter how "desirable" it may appear to outsiders. My husband and I lived in Sarasota for 17 years (left 10 years ago) and the whole time we were there we struggled terribly, almost losing our home several times. This in addition to several crimes in our neighborhood of Laurel Park. Despite his degree and experience, my husband could never find a decent job here, and ended up commuting to Tampa. We sold our home right before prices really exploded there, but were at least able to do OK up here in Pasco County.

I realize that our bad experiences do not make Sarasota a bad place - it was just a bad place for US. Obviously, Sarasota-blues, you have done quite well, kudos to you. This gives you the power to explore other areas and live even better. Since leaving Sarasota, we have done quite well, and in fact, purchased a second home in the mountain city of Asheville, NC, one of the best places to be in the US, IMO. Prices are exploding there as well, our house has gone up nicely in value in the last couple years. And now, we have just purchased our Florida home in beautiful Lakeland, where we are getting a tremendous bang for our buck.

Bottom line, Sarasota (or any other nice area) can be a GREAT PLACE to live, IF you have an income/good job and can afford a place to live. I think the town is definitely geared for the mature-to-senior set, but if one loves beaches, this is the place to be.

For us, it's all about bang-for-the-buck, and also, being a Florida native, I was ready for a change which is why we purchased a home in the mountains. I've had beaches all my life, and I don't participate in water sports, nor do I "hang out and get a tan." I have always wanted hills and woods, and Asheville has that in spades, not to mention the most INCREDIBLE "foodie" scene. So, different strokes for different folks, and everyone should do their best to find a place where they can get the most out of life.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM

gypsychic, I have read many of your posts and understand why you left Sarasota. You are correct in that "different strokes for different folks". For the most part, I don't go to the beach anymore either, and like you, give me the woods and hills anyday. (I was born in Tennessee, so you can't take the country outta the boy).

Look at whats happeniing though, over the last couple of decades. So many places are becoming so unaffordable, that many people are forced to relocate because of economics. My mother was divorced with us 2 kids when she moved us to Ft. Lauderdale in 1964. She was still able to purchase a house, and pay all the bills on her 1 income. Dad didn't contribute very often, so we can't say his contributions were making much difference. These days, most families are just getting by on 2 incomes! The price of real estate has appreciated in almost all desirable parts of the United States, beyond the average families' ability to afford it. In 1974, mom moved us to San Francisco, where we were able to purchase a house right in one of the most expensive areas of the city (Russian Hill and Marina District). These days,...FORGET IT! This is a very disturbing trend, because in just 1 generation, most people have been priced out the more desirable locations. Almost all of California is now priced beyond the average families ability to afford it.

Sarasota has just recently gotten so unaffordable that most people are forced to consider North Port as lesser expensive alternatives. I'll give you an example:

In 1988, you could buy a GOOD 3/2 in Sarasota for $59,900. There were TONS of homes at that price,...not just an occasional handyman,...these were good homes. I was working in foodservice making $8.00/hour.

Today, those same homes are $300,000 to $350,000 more or less. Now I'm working in technology, making close to $20/hour and I count my blessings each and every day that my door badge works when I get to work.

So, home prices have escalated 500-600% and UP!, while my wages have only doubled + in that amount of time. If I was still working foodservice, I might be making $12-$15 bucks an hour due to my experience by now,...UNLESS I had become Head Chef at someplace fancy.

I live not far from where you lived,...in Gillespie Park, and consider myself fortunate as I've never had a break-in, and only read about the crime that occasionally does happen in that area. (I went off in the "Bradenton's Gang Issue's" thread because several Booker High kids were robbing people at gunpoint 1 block from my house). Other than that, my neighborhood seems to be quickly gentrifying and improving every year.

Morale to this story is,...it's such a shame that people have to struggle so much these days, just to provide one of life's most basic and essential needs, housing! I wouldn't want to be 20 again just starting life these days!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I find the Sarasota comments quite amazing. To me it is just about the nicest area in the whole state if you want to be in FL and has so much to offer.
I would agree with this comment. There is so much variety offered in Sarasota, I find it hard to beat. Sarasota was top of our list of places to relocate to but it's dropped slightly down the list because of the terrible schools and number of sex offenders registered there. (Although these are general FL issues, not isolated to Sarasota.)

Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Sarasota was top of our list of places to relocate to but it's dropped slightly down the list because of the ...number of sex offenders registered there.
Geez, is Sarasota really that bad in terms of the number of sex offenders? I really don't know, but I have no idea if Sarasota, or the Florida lifestyle in general contributes to the number of offenses committed.

I know "gypsychic" ran into more than her fair share of "weenies" here, but hopefully thats just an unfortunate circumstance for her. (no offense intended towards "gypsychic")

I can understand if these were mostly offenses commited by college kids on Spring Break, but last time I perused the list of offenders, it didn't appear to be that type of individual on the offender roles.

Also, keep in mind that the City of Sarasota has a listed population of 53,259 (2003), and Sarasota County has a population listed at 369,535 (2006). This can make a huge difference, as the city population makes Sarasota look like some podunk hick town, but the population of Sarasota County actually indicates that there is actually quite a large number of people who reside here. Combine that with all the seasonal and tourists that visit, that makes Sarasota quite a populous place.

Don't forget Florida'a unofficial state motto: "Arrive on vacation; leave on probation"

Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
Geez, is Sarasota really that bad in terms of the number of sex offenders? I really don't know, but I have no idea if Sarasota, or the Florida lifestyle in general contributes to the number of offenses committed.

I know "gypsychic" ran into more than her fair share of "weenies" here, but hopefully thats just an unfortunate circumstance for her. (no offense intended towards "gypsychic")

I can understand if these were mostly offenses commited by college kids on Spring Break, but last time I perused the list of offenders, it didn't appear to be that type of individual on the offender roles.

Also, keep in mind that the City of Sarasota has a listed population of 53,259 (2003), and Sarasota County has a population listed at 369,535 (2006). This can make a huge difference, as the city population makes Sarasota look like some podunk hick town, but the population of Sarasota County actually indicates that there is actually quite a large number of people who reside here. Combine that with all the seasonal and tourists that visit, that makes Sarasota quite a populous place.

Don't forget Florida'a unofficial state motto: "Arrive on vacation; leave on probation"
Pop. is 52,942
According to our research there were 259 registered sex offenders living in Sarasota, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Sarasota to the number of sex offenders is 206 to 1.

to compare it to North Port, Pop is 50,523
According to our research there were 80 registered sex offenders living in North Port, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in North Port to the number of sex offenders is 527 to 1.

To Compare it to where I live (Weston) pop is 65,720
According to our research there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Weston, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Weston to the number of sex offenders is 13159 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.

Most of Peninsular Fl has a seriously high ratio of sex offenders, except for parts of Seminole, Broward, Palm Beach,Flagler and St. Johns county, and there are very few exceptions to that rule. You don't even typically have to worry about the offenders (with some exceptions). Its the predators that you have to worry about. Check your Sarasota County predator list! Most states have about, oh say, an average of 1000 offenders to 1. Florida has something like 600 to 1 on average.

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area