Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 PM

37 posts, read 98,407 times

Advertisements

Staying in Nokomis in a house with my parents and 2 kids and wife this coming February for a vacation. Will not have a car so will rely on either public transportation or my dads car to get around (which may not always be available). Was wondering a few things:

1. Dining... Is there a lot of restaurants/fast food in Nokomis?
2. Is there Public Transportation?
3. Best things to do in Nokomis?
4. Are there public basketball hoops in the area?
5. Is the area safe?

My sixth question is an important one: I am from the Greater Boston area and traffic is always a big deal to me, I HATE IT!! I fly back in the really early morning and I chose to fly via Tampa (cheaper than Sarasota). My flight leaves at 6:05 am so I'm wondering what the best time to leave the house that morning to go to the airport. (guessing there won't be too much traffic if any). If you have any suggestions for me, feel free to fire away. I have a very open mind !!

James Gale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I love, love love Café Evergreen in Nokomis. You might also like Curry Creek Café.

Yes, we have the SCAT bus: https://www.scgov.net/scat/Pages/default.aspx

Nokomis Drum Circle is always fun, maybe kayaking--if you want to go to Sarasota then Sarasota Jungle Gardens or Mote Marine.

There are basketball courts and a water park at this YMCA in southern Sarasota: Evalyn Sadlier Jones Branch

I guess safe is a relative term. You can check crime stats here: https://www.crimereports.com/

It's roughly an hour from Nokomis to Tampa. You will be here in high season but the time you're leaving is pretty early. You'd be best going up I75. Last I heard they say you need to be there two hours early for check in. Then you have to err on the side of caution due to accidents or whatever. I'd probably leave by at 3AM if it were me, I'd rather be early than late.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:22 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
It's only an hour to Tampa? The airport? Takes me 55 minutes from Manatee County......

Old 01-18-2015, 09:56 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
I would say that it is more like 90 minutes from Nokomis to the Tampa airport and having made the trip multiple times, traffic on I4 going west to the airport may not be an issue that early in the morning, but anyone flying later in the day would probably find it faster to take I275 from I75 and go up the Pinellas side and cross back over to the airport.

There are things to do in Nokomis, but most will require transportation, so you will probably need to plan to use dad's car for a majority of your travels.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I'd just google map your start location and TPA and go by the amount of time it gives you. I find it is pretty accurate anyway and, at that hour, it should be fine. It is up to you but I doubt you will need the 2 hours they suggest so I probably wouldn't worry about extra time for unexpected problems. My wife, OTOH, would want to allow an extra hour!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'd just google map your start location and TPA and go by the amount of time it gives you. I find it is pretty accurate anyway and, at that hour, it should be fine. It is up to you but I doubt you will need the 2 hours they suggest so I probably wouldn't worry about extra time for unexpected problems. My wife, OTOH, would want to allow an extra hour!
Spoken with the sweet innocence of a person who has never missed a plane.

Edit: You are probably right 999 out of 1,000. The one in a thousand I missed a plane was horrible because I had to make it to my destination ASAP. I went stand by to x number of airports that I was not booked on a through flight for the next segment. Each stop I had to pray there would be a seat on the next segment for me. It turned a 5 hour flight into a 23 hour flight that was nerve wracking the entire way. I will never cut it close again after that experience.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
^^^chicken

Old 01-19-2015, 02:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
It's only an hour to Tampa? The airport? Takes me 55 minutes from Manatee County......

I thought maybe I had a lead foot, which is quite possible, but I just Googled it from Nokomis to Tampa and it said 1 hour and 5 minutes. I've found Google times to be pretty accurate I figure at that time in the morning there is going to minimal traffic.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Unless you are flying from Sarasota to Tampa, you won't ever in this century reach Tampa airport within an hours time. I guarantee you that. You might reach what is considered the Tampa Bay area within an hour, but you certainly won't reach the Tampa airport in an hour from Nokomis. I live not far from Nokomis and have been driven to the area many times and by various drivers with different degrees of lead foot and never once have we reached Tampa in under and 1 hour 20 minutes if that. Not once and we've taken more that one route.

What's so bad, I googled the for the directions, from my address and it too gave me 1-hour 5 min to 1.9 minutes without traffic. which I know for a fact isn't accurate and take in account that Nokomis is another 10 or so minutes south of me. you know they are pulling these numbers out uranus.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-21-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM

37 posts, read 98,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Unless you are flying from Sarasota to Tampa, you won't ever in this century reach Tampa airport within an hours time. I guarantee you that. You might reach what is considered the Tampa Bay area within an hour, but you certainly won't reach the Tampa airport in an hour from Nokomis. I live not far from Nokomis and have been driven to the area many times and by various drivers with different degrees of lead foot and never once have we reached Tampa in under and 1 hour 20 minutes if that. Not once and we've taken more that one route.

What's so bad, I googled the for the directions, from my address and it too gave me 1-hour 5 min to 1.9 minutes without traffic. which I know for a fact isn't accurate and take in account that Nokomis is another 10 or so minutes south of me. you know they are pulling these numbers out uranus.
Thanks both for the comedy and for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area