Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,854 times

Advertisements

Hi my wife and I are in our 20's and we are thinking of moving to Sarasota because of all the great reviews here at this amazing website. Sarasota sounds like the greatest place on Earth for people in their 20's! We are moving from the city of New Orleans so we like us a good rowdy party every once and a while. My wife and I have no plans to attend college so we will not be attending schools, but a recent post just said all the college kids are very outgoing and friendly so we will be friends with them. Also we are definately not involved with any churches and we dislike that entire scene. We hate judgmental and small town minds but Sarasota sounds great because its an art town filled with tons of young artists and wild times. We will be friends with all of the artists. We both work at sex shops here, so Sarasota better be very open to this. Also we do not have children and we dont want any either because we dont like kids and that whole family oriented theme. We heard it here that Sarasota is an amazing place for bars! Well here in New Orleans we have tons to amazing bars. We stay out very late here partying so Sarasota better live up to its reputation for raging nightlife. It does not need to be as wild as New Orleans but we want to make connections with lots of really cool people. We are a very young and progressive couple. We cant stand being bored but Sarasota has it all for us. The beaches are amazing too I heard and we have an act where we juggle fireballs and have fake blood that we want to perform at beaches. Its seriously scary but thats part of our act and everyone thinks its awesome. Oh and what area do the old people live at and which ones have all the young people? I personally can tolerate some old people but my wife says its creepy, so we need to live in the side of town with tons of young and open minded people. Maybe some really talented musicians too because I play guitar and want to jam out. Were not rich either but I read at this forum how many amazing opportunities there are for young people in Sarasota and I believe it. People must be so relaxed in Sarasota. Its like a picture perfect place. Also we are big marijuana activists and we spend every weekend walking around handing out information to legalize. We are pot educators! We smoke tons of weed and we are openly proud of it and Im sure most people in Sarasota feel the same way about smoking weed. We need a 420 friendly apartment with 2 bedrooms 1 bath for about $500 per month, maybe more once we get jobs. We want cool neighbors. We want to live in downtown where all the action and night life and wild bars are at. We have tons of cool things to share with people and for making new friends. Any other advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 04:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Wow Ok! So, my daughter is 22 attends, New College in Sarasota and is an art major. Sounds like the scene, for the most part, over there. She doesn't shave, is artsy and into a lot of the alternative stuff. I know several kids in the area who you'd fit in great with. New College got rated the largest clove smoking, hippie, liberal college in the US by US News. You'd also probably get along with the Ringling School of Art Kids--Very edgy and alternative.

Most of the housing in your price range and in an area you'd like would probably be around the college. My daughter currently lives on 46th St with a few roommates.

I have a few questions for you. Have you ever visited Sarasota before or is all what you've researched online? It is edgy, to an extent. Just don't want to disappoint you. For instance, I visited Ashville and thought it would be a really edgy/alternative town and wasn't too excited about it. You really need to visit the area and see if it's all what you are thinking before packing up and moving everything.

My daughter finds Sarasota a bit boring and says she wants to move to Chicago and check things out there. My middle daughters girlfriend lives in Chicago and she travels back and forth frequently and tells Coral (my 22 year old) about her travels. Coral said many of her friends moved to NYC after graduation and have since moved to the Chicago area.

Certainly not trying to discourage you from moving here and could probably get you hooked up with potential friends if you do decide on this area. Just trying to keep it real.

You might want to look into Ybor City as well if you're considering the area. Here's an example of Ybor: http://castleybor.com/

Oh and I'm guessing some people might be afraid to answer your post. LOL

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-19-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetree View Post
Hi my wife and I are in our 20's and we are thinking of moving to Sarasota because of all the great reviews here at this amazing website. Sarasota sounds like the greatest place on Earth for people in their 20's! We are moving from the city of New Orleans so we like us a good rowdy party every once and a while. My wife and I have no plans to attend college so we will not be attending schools, but a recent post just said all the college kids are very outgoing and friendly so we will be friends with them. Also we are definately not involved with any churches and we dislike that entire scene. We hate judgmental and small town minds but Sarasota sounds great because its an art town filled with tons of young artists and wild times. We will be friends with all of the artists. We both work at sex shops here, so Sarasota better be very open to this. Also we do not have children and we dont want any either because we dont like kids and that whole family oriented theme. We heard it here that Sarasota is an amazing place for bars! Well here in New Orleans we have tons to amazing bars. We stay out very late here partying so Sarasota better live up to its reputation for raging nightlife. It does not need to be as wild as New Orleans but we want to make connections with lots of really cool people. We are a very young and progressive couple. We cant stand being bored but Sarasota has it all for us. The beaches are amazing too I heard and we have an act where we juggle fireballs and have fake blood that we want to perform at beaches. Its seriously scary but thats part of our act and everyone thinks its awesome. Oh and what area do the old people live at and which ones have all the young people? I personally can tolerate some old people but my wife says its creepy, so we need to live in the side of town with tons of young and open minded people. Maybe some really talented musicians too because I play guitar and want to jam out. Were not rich either but I read at this forum how many amazing opportunities there are for young people in Sarasota and I believe it. People must be so relaxed in Sarasota. Its like a picture perfect place. Also we are big marijuana activists and we spend every weekend walking around handing out information to legalize. We are pot educators! We smoke tons of weed and we are openly proud of it and Im sure most people in Sarasota feel the same way about smoking weed. We need a 420 friendly apartment with 2 bedrooms 1 bath for about $500 per month, maybe more once we get jobs. We want cool neighbors. We want to live in downtown where all the action and night life and wild bars are at. We have tons of cool things to share with people and for making new friends. Any other advice is welcome.
Thanks for the laffs........

Old 01-19-2015, 05:13 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
There's no way this can be a serious post. It's comical as all hell.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Have you ever been to New Orleans? Sounds like many people in the Orleans area to me. lol

Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
No RE expert, but the $500 a month 2 bedroom apt sounds like a unicorn...
The 420 sites didn't list much for the entire state, and none in 'Sarasota'.

Maybe the OP can learn paragraphs at the next magic show.

Old people? Lol!

I smoke an occasional joint, but not worth trying it 'on the street', until FL gets more reasonable MJ laws.
GL, mD

Old 01-19-2015, 06:17 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for the laffs........
I second that!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM

288 posts, read 452,763 times
@Soflgal,
After I wiped my merlot from the screen, which looked like creepy real blood I saw your response, you are toooo sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Wow Ok! So, my daughter is 22 attends, New College in Sarasota and is an art major. Sounds like the scene, for the most part, over there. She doesn't shave, is artsy and into a lot of the alternative stuff. I know several kids in the area who you'd fit in great with. New College got rated the largest clove smoking, hippie, liberal college in the US by US News. You'd also probably get along with the Ringling School of Art Kids--Very edgy and alternative.

Most of the housing in your price range and in an area you'd like would probably be around the college. My daughter currently lives on 46th St with a few roommates.

I have a few questions for you. Have you ever visited Sarasota before or is all what you've researched online? It is edgy, to an extent. Just don't want to disappoint you. For instance, I visited Ashville and thought it would be a really edgy/alternative town and wasn't too excited about it. You really need to visit the area and see if it's all what you are thinking before packing up and moving everything.

My daughter finds Sarasota a bit boring and says she wants to move to Chicago and check things out there. My middle daughters girlfriend lives in Chicago and she travels back and forth frequently and tells Coral (my 22 year old) about her travels. Coral said many of her friends moved to NYC after graduation and have since moved to the Chicago area.

Certainly not trying to discourage you from moving here and could probably get you hooked up with potential friends if you do decide on this area. Just trying to keep it real.

You might want to look into Ybor City as well if you're considering the area. Here's an example of Ybor: Castle Ybor | Ybor City's BEST Dance Club!

Oh and I'm guessing some people might be afraid to answer your post. LOL

@Ben, my thoughts exactly, my apologies to OP if I'm mistaken
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Old people are everywhere, especially at the beach

Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 17,088 times
I smell a forum troll!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
You might like Newtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area