Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times

Advertisements

North Port elementary school named one of the best in the state - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 AM

35 posts, read 55,130 times
GreatSchools.org only lists this school as a 7. Interesting! I am starting to wonder if "great schools" really is a good indicator of school systems.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
There are at least 5 better known sites that rate schools, none seem to be in agreement in rankings/ratings. The site mentioned in the article rated Toledo Blade Elementary #3 in the state, yet the FL Department of Education's site gives the school a B rating (it was also rated a B for 2013) and it is not ranked anywhere near the top in the DOE rankings. By the way, the #1 rated FL school for 2014 is Pine View in Sarasota.

The FL DOE site breaks the ratings down by a number of academic categories that include reading, math, writing, science (both satisfactory percentages and gains). It does not, however, contain comments by parents or ratings of things such as cafeteria food by students (yes, one of those school ratings sites does factor in things like that).

So it seems to me that parents should look at the state rankings/ratings for the academic strengths of the various schools, but also spend some time researching other aspects of the schools on those other sites for additional information.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
If I may, school ratings like the one in this survey, are almost useless. In fact, they should be completely useless. The only valid school-related measure of elementary school performance is how well the kids were prepared for middle-school, and certainly not how well the kids liked the food or other absurd criteria like those mentioned above. Since one can't know how well the kids were prepared for middle school until they have finished middle school, looking at test grades, attendance, and other factors while they are still in elementary school is pretty much just data without value. It's not that I am against standardized testing or reporting but I think people make way too much of it all. Far more important is the child's parents' willingness and effort to take an active role in their child's education. Asking about their day, asking them to explain what they've learned, discussing the subject matter, showing you the math, helping them with homework, etc. will do far more to assure their individual educational success than selecting a school that showed up with pretty good data the previous year.

Ask any teacher and they will tell you that there are a relative few kids that are almost destined to absorb everything they put out there, and there are a relative few that just can't keep up, but in the middle there are many who could and would do far better if they were motivated at home, and the best motivation is when a child sees that his/her parent cares.

I like being able to tell people that LWR has 'A' schools but I know that is only a state-defined subset of data points. It is no guarantee of anything.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:25 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Default Soapbox Style!

So, I just re-read my post and realized how preachy and sanctimonious it sounds. I figured I'd save the next person the trouble and just flat-out admit to it. Sorry...but you get the gist of it, I'm sure.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:14 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
So, I just re-read my post and realized how preachy and sanctimonious it sounds. I figured I'd save the next person the trouble and just flat-out admit to it. Sorry...but you get the gist of it, I'm sure.
So from hence forth, you shall be known as "sanctimonious Bob." It has a nice ring to it.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I wanted to see what people thought before posting my own opinion. Personally, I think all the lists, including the state list are pretty much a roll of the dice. It really depends on the teachers in a given year and how hard they push their students. How much the students grasp from what they're taught, etc. Of course, Pine View is always going to rank at the top due to the criteria for enterance.

I rely on personal experience, having either attended the school, my children having attended or close friends children attending. I know many of the principals of the various schools and see how they interact with their teaching staff. I think it all boils down to each teacher and how they mesh with your child. There are some really fantastic ones and some awful ones.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM

35 posts, read 36,673 times
So, they are the best in a state with a poor education system. Delaware is notoriously bad.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM

244 posts, read 372,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
If I may, school ratings like the one in this survey, are almost useless. In fact, they should be completely useless. The only valid school-related measure of elementary school performance is how well the kids were prepared for middle-school, and certainly not how well the kids liked the food or other absurd criteria like those mentioned above. Since one can't know how well the kids were prepared for middle school until they have finished middle school, looking at test grades, attendance, and other factors while they are still in elementary school is pretty much just data without value. It's not that I am against standardized testing or reporting but I think people make way too much of it all. Far more important is the child's parents' willingness and effort to take an active role in their child's education. Asking about their day, asking them to explain what they've learned, discussing the subject matter, showing you the math, helping them with homework, etc. will do far more to assure their individual educational success than selecting a school that showed up with pretty good data the previous year.

Ask any teacher and they will tell you that there are a relative few kids that are almost destined to absorb everything they put out there, and there are a relative few that just can't keep up, but in the middle there are many who could and would do far better if they were motivated at home, and the best motivation is when a child sees that his/her parent cares.

I like being able to tell people that LWR has 'A' schools but I know that is only a state-defined subset of data points. It is no guarantee of anything.
would LOVE to help my daughter with her math HW but i don't have a CLUE how to do common core math !!!!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
would LOVE to help my daughter with her math HW but i don't have a CLUE how to do common core math !!!!
Nobody does. It's one of the biggest pulls towards private schools I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area