Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 AM

398 posts, read 822,109 times

Advertisements

We want to have pavers installed & have a screened cage built . Someone told us to try Absolute Aluminum or P.K.& Mack. They said to use super screen.

Has anyone used either of these companies? If so how were they? Does anyone have another company they'd recommend?

Thanks for your thoughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Many of my customers have used Absolute Aluminum. Also quite a few have used Benchmark Aluminum - Benchmark - Aluminum Construction | Port Charlotte, FL. I have not heard any complaints. I have not personally used them because we do our own. Get a quote and references from a few different companies and go with the one you feel most comfortable with after speaking with them.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:40 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Absolute did ours and we had no complaints.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:19 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
I use Benchmark on my homes, cages, gutters,fascia etc...very good...Ask for Chris

Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I used Trademark Aluminum, which was a sub of a contractor, and they were excellent. I had to ask a contractor for help because I had been getting quotes that were all over the map and I was very confused.

I have "super-screen" on the bottom half of the cage because I have little dogs. It is stronger than the regular screen but not as heavy and dark as the "pet screen". I didn't want it on the upper part because it is somewhat darker than the regular screen.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We bought house w/existing pool cage and wanted to lay pavers on patio surface...required some work on the screen cage because we wanted our bottom rail to be on top of the pavers vs having pavers butt into the bottom rail...
We used Gulf Coast Aluminum--would NOT recommend them at all--
I called probably 5-6 people they had done work for and most of those people were very happy--so we chose them over Absolute since their price was less--but the quality of the work, the oversight the company provides sucks...

The first 3 man crew they sent out (without confirming the date/time before hand--they just showed up at house and we were not in state--) did horrible job changing out the screws for upgraded ones--dropping over 100 screws into our pool when the pump/cleaner was working is just one example of lazy/poor quality control--
they talk a good game and were less $ than Absolute but just a terrible hassle to work with/supervise--
almost anything they did had to be corrected in one way or another...
would never recommend them to anyone...

and don't use WEBBER PAVERS if that is company you are considering since you are in Venice/Nokomis area
they did our driveway and front walk w/pavers and laid pavers on our lanai and put new coping around our pool--
the driveway LOOKS better but they didn't lay any gravel after removing the original driveway--one reason it was in bad shape was lack of drainage/support...now the pavers show depression in certain area from parking our car on driveway (although not overnight) and having settling of the ground...
On the lanai--they made poor cuts for the design/pavers and left gaps larger than good practice/installation allows--they did a crummy job with the sanding and left gaps between pavers that allows water to collect and encourages mold and trash to collect---and they did just as bad a job when they came out (w/o our knowing about it) to resand them...

We chose them because they use a brand of pavers I really wanted to use but we would have been better served to use a different paving company and get a different but top rated paver installed...
Jim Ascuye (I think that is spelling) is guy we should have used--does lot of work for home builders in area--our realtor recommended him--but he didn't want to use the pavers I wanted which come out of Ft Myers...

Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Wow, yes, that is the reason I used a contractor who lives in our community. I was having the existing pavers removed, a concrete foundation poured, cage installed, and then porcelain tiles laid (plus recessed lighting, painting, etc.). I did not want to arrange all this stuff by myself, and then have the tile guy blame the concrete guy for not having a level surface, or whatever. It was so worth the extra money. (But even so, the concrete guys did show up with no advance notice....guess it's a FL thing....)

Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 PM

98 posts, read 291,199 times
Do not use PK Mack. They took my money and ran. I have called the owner countless times and have had others call him also. He won't answer and won't return calls. Stay away from PK Mack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area