Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,162,677 times

Advertisements

Could not believe the number of expensive cars that tried to plow through all that water. The guy in the Honda was too much- takes out the front of his car and just keeps going.

Years ago when I lived on Long Island, we had a railroad trestle where the road dipped down to go under it. I used to travel that road all the time, thought nothing of it. During a particularly hard storm that produced flash flooding, someone actually died when their car got stuck and submerged under the trestle. You never know how deep that water can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 PM

707 posts, read 1,044,427 times
North Port is what you are going to afford on a $100K budget, but North Port is lower priced due to higher supply and lower demand than neighboring Venice or Sarasota. Plan on no public water or sewer or sidewalks, not to mention the total lack of anything resembling a downtown.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,670,700 times
Thanks again for all the info and that is crazy people driving through the flooded roads! I'm nervous here in ohio with tornados, we have a basement which is a big plus for me. Iv never experienced extreme flooding or winds. I love thunderstorms though.

I wish we could do more then 100k but I really don't want to have a mortgage. I have seen some nicer looking average houses in and around Venice and up to sarasota around 100k and under, not many. Would these most likely be in rougher neighborhoods?

Also, we are very open to forclosures/short sales. Most of our rentals were forclosures and needed work. We are willing to buy a property in a nicer area that needs work(not structure problems or major work but cosmetic.. New kitchen, bath, painting, flooring, ect) to maybe get more house/nicer area for the money. Are there many foreclosures in nice neighborhoods around 100k out there? We are still open to sarasota county, maybe even charlotte county. I might post in that forum later as well.

I'm so excited to come down and visit! We are set to visit this coming July/august! Will spend as much time as possible checking out areas.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,366,899 times
A strong enough tropical storm would keep you inside unless you HAD to go out.. because the winds can blow down branches and sometimes trees and power lines and signs/garbage cans/debris can blow all around - into the street. Not just rain like Cardiff experienced for several days - but strong winds up to 74MPH sustained wind speeds with stronger gusts. Stronger than that and it becomes a hurricane. Some tropical storms pass through nearby but maybe you only get 30 MPH winds and lots of rain. The center of the storm is where the stronger winds are.

Hurricanes the wind is stronger and stronger and stronger. I evacuated for Charley but it wasn't mandated.

My work was shut down for one or two bad tropical storms and maybe 1 hurricane. They told several hundred workers to stay home and the work building was closed.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 AM

707 posts, read 1,044,427 times
A tropical storm is basically an extended thunderstorm. Heavy rain and gusty winds, that's about it. Usually over-hyped, like much of the weather headlines. You will want a good roof over your head and if you are concerned about flooding, especially in North Port, make sure the lot has enough obvious drainage without any low spots in the yard.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:12 PM

296 posts, read 316,843 times
Somebody mentioned a lack of a downtown in NP, does that matter really? Just wondering the good or the bad of not having an official downtown?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,355,809 times
We have been in NP over 4 years and no real "downtown" hasn't bothered us a bit, we don't even notice. Oh in regards to flooding, our lots are built up and the water drains quickly Away from the house. It gathers in the drainage ditches and our home is high and dry.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
Somebody mentioned a lack of a downtown in NP, does that matter really? Just wondering the good or the bad of not having an official downtown?
To me it doesn't really matter too much as Venice and Punta Gorda are close by with great downtown areas. I think I might have mentioned it because I've heard that as a complaint or drawback. I own a home in North Port and lived there for over ten years and I think it's a nice little community with a lot to offer.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:43 PM

296 posts, read 316,843 times
SFG, I know you live in NP, what could possibly be a drawback to not having a downtown? I know there is shopping all over NP. I mean where I live I don't even think there is a downtown....there is shopping, but there is shopping all over. Just trying to figure out this downtown thing, haha

Old 09-25-2015, 02:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
SFG, I know you live in NP, what could possibly be a drawback to not having a downtown? I know there is shopping all over NP. I mean where I live I don't even think there is a downtown....there is shopping, but there is shopping all over. Just trying to figure out this downtown thing, haha
What people like about the downtown area of Venice and PG is the fact that it's quaint, pretty, historical and very walkable. It's a nice area to walk around and the shops and restaurants are more boutique style and not commercial. Basically the area in NP is more of a strip mall. Benderson built nice areas but it would be a place where you would go to TJ Maxx, Ross, Hobby Lobby, Chicos Outlet, Panera, etc. not really a place where you would browse around all day. Hopefully I've explained it so you can visualize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area