Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times

Advertisements

i did a lot of research when i was replacing my dear old 40 inch. One thing I learned is that most of the big box stores sell the previous year's models or older. Do your research and get model numbers and compare with current models at Best Buy, etc. Sometimes there are significant features that change, such as better universal remotes, or different settings. Most times it's worth spending the extra couple of hundred bucks for these newer features. If they dont tickle your fancy, then save the money.

The darker you can make the room the better. The bigger you can afford the better. when viewing the models, try to stand at the distance you would normally watch and when satisfied, go one size bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:32 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
As far as a remote - I've yet to find any that I like better than Harmony's. You program them (VERY easily online) to control all of your devices. Set up functions like: watch tv, watch DVD, or whatever you want and then one button turns on all required equipment for that function, sets the device inputs to the correct settings, etc.... I won't be without one.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
^^^
Thanks.

Now if I could just get FIOS, life would be really good.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:14 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
If you're not buying till the end of the year, save yourself the headache. Research models of TV's later. WAY later

Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 PM

^^^
You are the deliverer of one joyful observation after another.

We had planned to buy now until we fell in love with the ridiculously expensive tv.

The thought of going through this process again, brings me back to my original attitude. Ugh.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:10 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
...Now if I could just get FIOS, life would be really good.
Or Comcrap internet...it will work fine for what we all watch TV for, regardless of screen size, HD level, etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 PM

490 posts, read 624,215 times
I advise you to buy the really expensive one and invite us all over to watch the Super bowl next year.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 AM

Chester Consider yourself invited.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
This is a helpful review site for flatscreens--organized in various ways--found it useful shopping at Christmas and has info about settings for best viewing displays

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h5203

Will you be watching more streaming apps--like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu+--than broadcast shows on cable?
will you watch lot of DVD movies vs streaming?
Some flatscreens classified as "smart" meaning they have apps bundled into their system for Amazon/Netflix/et al streaming sources are not the best way to actually gain that access...
some of the interfaces are remarkable clumsy and slow...and it is very easy to use a blu-ray player w/smart apps or a Roku or Apple tv is that is your flavor to add streaming capabilities and great visual context...
If it were possible I would look for great flatscreen w/no smart technology which becomes outdated quickly and add a decent blu-ray player or Roku

We bought a 48" Vizio E series--rated very well for quality--for Christmas present for our daughter and SIL and grandson to use in their 2nd living area--got it at Costco Sarasota Mall--waited too late to get the M series which is a little more $ for just slight improvement on picture quality...it is smart tv so apps for streaming are in tv's design...the 48" was the largest before some quality control issues start to become more pronounced...
they don't watch lot of DVDs -- just On Demand/movies and they are happy with it--not their "best" tv which is in the other LA...
Personally I prefer plasmas but that is going out like the dodo bird...

I think your contractor is kind of rushing the game -- as long as you know what size television you want to have and where you want them mounted he should be good to go --

where are you going to store all those flatscreens?
and the warranty starts from date of purchase--so you will be 2-3-4 months into the warranty before they are installed...

Old 03-13-2015, 11:28 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Someone left me a Rep comment about Harmony's not being available but I can't tell who so I figured I'd post here.

Harmony remotes are definitely available. I just recently had to replace an OLD one that died and bought a 650, which suits my needs just fine. I initially didn't care for the ergonomics of the design but I've grown to like it a lot.

Harmony Remotes on Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: