Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times

Advertisements

Time to retire our 10+ year old TV and buy a new one. We were thinking about doing this a year or two ago but decided to wait until after we moved. It was a time of rapidly improving technology and rapidly falling prices, so it made sense to wait. When we last looked, I liked Vizio edge lit models. But technology moves on and I feel like I have to start the evaluation process all over from scratch. Ugh.

There are a lot of bright people here and I hope to get some good advice on what to consider and where to go. As far as I am concerned, the major determinant will be the set that the picture pleases me the most. Want a clear bright picture with realistic color, probably internet connectivity. I think I would like to stream movies to catch up on everything I missed while working my behind off.

It is hard to beat Costco prices, but some times having more choice makes it worth it to pay more. So since the decision will be on how the picture looks to me, it would be good to go someplace that has a bunch of TVs on display.

I did read an article last month about 4k ultra high def and thought it was not for me, but I don't remember why I thought that. Probably I don't care about seeing the pores in actors skin that much. And I am guessing I don't want to pay the cost of bleeding edge technology to be able to watch limited content. Also not interested in 3d.

Advice? Any brands, features, or stores you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
3d is greatly over rated, at least at this point. Much like buying/renting real estate though more information is required.

Room Size? Room lighting conditions during normal viewing hours. Generally though I'd say get the biggest screen that your room can comfortably accommodate. It may look big initially but that will change rapidly. We have a 62" in our living room and we sit about 13 feet from it. It's ok but I should have gotten the 70"

Ours is a Sharp Aquos Edge Lit LED and we like it alot. But realistically, you need to go to the stores and see the pictures side by side.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more knowledgeable folks replying but that's my initial two cents anyhow.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
3d is greatly over rated, at least at this point. Much like buying/renting real estate though more information is required.

Room Size? Room lighting conditions during normal viewing hours. Generally though I'd say get the biggest screen that your room can comfortably accommodate. It may look big initially but that will change rapidly. We have a 62" in our living room and we sit about 13 feet from it. It's ok but I should have gotten the 70"

Ours is a Sharp Aquos Edge Lit LED and we like it alot. But realistically, you need to go to the stores and see the pictures side by side.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more knowledgeable folks replying but that's my initial two cents anyhow.
I am aware of the size/viewing distance charts. Wikipedia has many of them from different manufacturers. But it is good to be reminded. The house is under construction so I guess I need to figure out where the furniture will be and the distance to the tube. Our super wants to know how big the TV will be what bracket we will use so he can determine how to frame out the niche.

So you picked edge lit. Was that because you liked the picture or some other reason?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
my son just got the 4k I think it is...ultra HD...he says its awesome

Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
At current, there are no TV providers sending a 4k signal programming and many tv makers have already dropped 3D. Netflix has plans for 4k but it but it will be sent thru internet connection. 4K over internet will consume huge amounts of gigs for 1 movie.
When my 32" crt died a few months ago, I replaced it with a 48" vizio. It had limited functions and features and developed many problems in the first 3 weeks. On screen clock didn't work, 'arc' connection to a/v receiver didn't work, HDMI from DVD to TV didn't work, had to use composite, last straw, already had a dead blue pixel. After mail and calls to Vizio, returned it to Walmart for a refund.
Decided to upgrade to a Samsung, but Walmart sells only basic model Samsungs [5300 series]. Went to HH Greg, spent an additional $250 and bought a Samsung UN48H6350 The picture quality is stunning and runs circles around the Vizio. TV is connected to DISH and an antenna. Even SD looks like HD. If it's in your budget, look at series 6000, 7000, 8000 Samsung. Don't believe all the hype about 'size'. If your view is 12 to 16 feet, 50" is big enough. Anything bigger and you'll feel like you are sitting in the first row at the movie theater and will actually see the pixels moving on the screen.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
Skip 4K. Nobody is showing any useful 4K content yet. Cable companies wont do it because they have to upgrade your boxes and it's 4x the bandwidth for them to send 4K video. Internet better be fast to stream 4K because it's a huge data stream, expect buffering a lot. YouTube has 4K streamable videos highly compressed and optimized, which isnt really 4K quality, so no reason to bother there.

Skip 3D unless you have a dark room and plan to purchase or download 3D movies specifically for it I use a 1080p projector (with 3D) on a 18 foot diagonal movie room built in the house. The 3D is fun, but limited titles to watch.

Pick a TV that is 1080p, that fits the room, and has a picture you like. Costco/Sams/Wal-Mart best prices, online TV shopping is not recommended, prices are usually the same if not higher and cant see the TV before you buy.

Beyond that, post up a pic of where you want the TV to go and that's a lot easier to recommend things for!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 PM

140 posts, read 188,137 times
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with any 4k naysayers. I just spent the last two weeks looking at televisions at Costco and Best Buy. What I have deduced is that 4k televisions are at somewhat of a sweet spot right now. Samsung has a flagship 65 inch 4k tv for $2100. It looks amazing. If you ever find yourself closer than 8 feet from your television, this higher resolution will pay large dividends. Add to that, 4k televisions have the ability to upscale 1080p content.

However, if you are firmly in the 1080p can and do not want to dive into 4k, Cosco has a 75 inch 1080p Samsung for $2000 that would be my first choice.

I am a person that tends to keep my electronics for 5-7 years. Knowing that 4k is just around the corner, buying a 1080p set now is kind of like buying a car in the last year of its design phase before they completely redesign it. You will get the most mature version of that car with all the kinks worked out. It will operate flawlessly. However, you may be missing out on the cool features that the new generation has.

My parents are both over 70 years old and were looking at my TV today like it was a miracle. I would personally recommend going with 4k because when all the networks start cranking out 4k and all the news channels and prime time channels are there, you'll be happy!

By the way, Costco has both these models. I ultimately went with this set and I'm happy so far: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65HU8550FXZA

Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
Michael almost made me vomit. When he said news channel in 4K I immediately pictured Nancy Grace. Yuck!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:02 PM

Just got back from Best Buy. Found about 5 tvs I liked. We will be buying multiple TVs for the new house, and need to evaluate viewing distance and typical use (home theatre, watching re-runs while on the exercise equipment, daily news watching.) Right now my decision has to be the one for over the fireplace. Seeing walls of TVs gives me a headache as I am very prone to motion sickness and there is too much motion going on. That said:

The 4K tvs are AMAZING! And Samsung's curved 4K is almost better than sex! But the price tag on the big one is obscene. I hate getting hooked on bleeding edge technology. I feel like such a snook. Will definitely have to evaluate the availability of 4K content.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
As someone earlier said - most (if not all) 4K's will up-convert 1080P which should make it all the better. I haven't seen it first hand but in theory it should be very noticeable. I'll just repeat, I'd get the largest that will comfortably work for your room. All of the "guides" will say that our 62" is too big for our room and we wish we would have gotten the 70".

You asked about backlit vs edgelit; that question has started wars. Again, the theory is the backlit provides much better image but sacrifices that in depth of the unit. In theory, the edge lit doesn't have as good of a picture but is thinner/lighter which is nicer for wall hanging. I still say - look at them and get what you like. The other option of course is projection.

I'd say go with the biggest one that looks good to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: