Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,856 times

Advertisements

It would add value if your home was a two story home. Otherwise, why go to the expense of adding a loo if you have another on the same level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 9,168 times
Hm, that's a good point... I think it's more about having a powder room easily accessible for guests instead of going back to the bedrooms at the other end of the house. My main question is, in the housing market for a typical house of this size is it more appealing to have a 1/2 bath if we were ever to decide to sell?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
May I quote the esteemed BBronston: One person's "perfect" is another person's "no way."

After living 17 years in a one bathroom house, hell would freeze over before I would buy a house that did not have a a dedicated guest bathroom. I don't have any opinion about whether it would add $ value to your house, but it would make a wider variety of people willing to consider your house. I can also imagine the person who would say "no way" to having one more toilet to clean.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 PM

lol - SOLD! Yes, a powder room we will have. Thank you guys for all of your advice and thoughts, I'm new to the board and I look forward to learning more about you all and our lovely town Sarasota.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Here is another way to think about justifying the cost. How long to you expect to live in the house? Hubby and I come from long lived stock. My grandmother lived to 96, hubby's uncle lived to 98. I am hoping we are in our house for 30 years. We may have to have an attendant, but as far as I am concerned--this is it.

I would be looking at it from the perspective of what is it worth to me, not to someone else. So the cost/reward analysis I would be doing would go something like this. I would expect to be able to do the powder room for 10k. Divide $10,000 by 30 years and you get $333 a year or roughly $30 a month or roughly a dollar a day. Is it worth it? #$@* yes.

Of course not everyone expects to live 30 years in their house. Lets say you are only going to be there 10 years. Would you get $3 a day's worth of enjoyment from it? A big latte at Starbucks is $4. Just sayin.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Very, very good point. We will be there for probably 10 years, at least. Perhaps forever if we don't have an opportunity to build a custom home. Finding a decent lot in this town is a WHOLE different ball game. Not even going to go there! That's a great perspective and yes, now I see it will definitely be worth spending.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM

287 posts, read 299,965 times
nggs:

Let a reputable licensed contractor know you've got a realistic budget for this job. Have him come out, look around, and make suggestions. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Is that an insult Cardiff? My house is pristine and clean - we have a master bath and one in the hallway my kids use and guests can use - all of my guests are close friends who are very clean and they would not be in my home if I did not trust them in my bathroom.

I don't let people I don't know well in my home

We are all so spoiled these days - I grew up in a one bathroom home - as did most of my peers - and everything was just fine

Old 03-14-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Is that an insult Cardiff? My house is pristine and clean - we have a master bath and one in the hallway my kids use and guests can use - all of my guests are close friends who are very clean and they would not be in my home if I did not trust them in my bathroom.

I don't let people I don't know well in my home

We are all so spoiled these days - I grew up in a one bathroom home - as did most of my peers - and everything was just fine

I think you miss my point. I don't trust Hubby and I to keep the bathrooms clean enough and our stuff put away enough that we would not be embarrassed by having people in our private spaces. You may not be able to relate to this if your husband is younger and better trained than mine. The only time my house is ever pristine and clean is the first hour after the cleaning lady leaves. And yes we are spoiled.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I think you miss my point. I don't trust Hubby and I to keep the bathrooms clean enough and our stuff put away enough that we would not be embarrassed by having people in our private spaces. You may not be able to relate to this if your husband is younger and better trained than mine. The only time my house is ever pristine and clean is the first hour after the cleaning lady leaves. And yes we are spoiled.
I have the same problem. After my husband shaves each morning it looks more like he tried to take a bath in the sink. He uses shaving cream and razor- not electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: