Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I don't think travelassie was referring to your post with the "tongue in check" comment. I think she was referring to the link I posted.

03bluecoupe--This is misperception is clearly a sign of "I am the center of the universe and everything is about me" syndrome. People in escrow are especially vulnerable to this syndrome. But the good thing is escrow does not last forever and perspective will return.
Silly me... I was just going on the fact that she quoted my post when replying... oh wha ta jer kiam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:34 PM

95 posts, read 119,093 times
"Oldgal" - You probably already know this but ... when visiting the areas you are interested in, talk to the locals as much as possible. I did this a couple of weeks ago. I visited Delray Beach, West Palm, and Sarasota and talked with as many folks as possible saying basically the following:

"Hi, I'm visiting the area and thinking of moving here. Would you mind if I asked you a question?"

100% of the time when I said this, the person would engage with me and say ya, no problem. I would then ask them if they lived here in this town (wherever it was) or in this condo complex (if that's where we were), for how long, and ask them what they think of the town/complex/city, etc. I would ask about safety and how safe they feel here, crime and has it impacted them or anyone they know, and generally what they felt were the negatives and positives, big and small.

I talked to cashiers and shopkeepers in the stores, waiters, business or retiree looking people hanging out in the park during their lunch breaks or when walking their dogs, certainly people walking around in the neighborhoods/complexes I was checking out. A woman in Sarasota's beautiful Bayfront park chatted with me for a good 15 straight minutes about her love for the city (she was originally from Ohio and here 15 years). I stayed at a hotel in Delray (the wonderful old Colony), and two of the men who worked there were originally from up north, one having grown up in the next town over from where I grew up, in Boston. Both were extremely forthcoming with all sorts of info about moving to and living in Fla.

Even in places that you hear very negative things about like West Palm Beach, the shopkeepers and especially the theater manager and staff of a theater on Clematis Street were unbelievably friendly and helpful. Everywhere I went this was the norm. It totally blew my mind.

I would estimate that I spoke with approximately 3 to 5 people a day for a 7 day period, including I think 4 or 5 people in Sarasota alone, all ages, occupations and genders, and I was happy to hear very, very positive reports almost uniformly - I would say 90% positive stuff from about 90 or 95% of the people I spoke with all week. That more than anything, more than the posts on these boards, helped me to decide that I do in fact want to give this a shot, ie moving to Florida. I am shooting for early next year.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite2015 View Post
"Oldgal" - You probably already know this but ... when visiting the areas you are interested in, talk to the locals as much as possible. I did this a couple of weeks ago. I visited Delray Beach, West Palm, and Sarasota and talked with as many folks as possible saying basically the following:

"Hi, I'm visiting the area and thinking of moving here. Would you mind if I asked you a question?"
<snipperoo>
Absolutely agree! Talk to folks. But it's like anywhere else; some people love it, some people hate it. As far as "how hot does it get" question, that's subjective and only able to be judged by you. Everyone has their own view of if it's acceptable or not.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) there's no "one size fits all" solution. Ya kinda have to really see for yourself. People can tell you what they think but you won't know until you spend time here.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Totally bogus numbers generated by the administration, as most things are.

Anyone who believes the country is in better shape is drinking some serious Kool-aid.
Great that you are moving to FL because now you can petition Gov. Scott to stop his lying about job growth and low unemployment!

Scott announces Florida job growth; Unemployment rate drops | www.wftv.com

Hopefully you can vote him out and also expose those news outlets as "lamestream" and point us to the proper sites to get the correct news!

I've been digging all over the interweb - must be a lot of liars out there!
"For new college grads, job market is best in a decade"
"the April unemployment rate for Massachusetts was 4.7 percent"
"Eight states posted unemployment rates between 3% and 4%: North Dakota (3.1%), Utah (3.4%), South Dakota and Vermont (3.6%), Minnesota (3.7%), and Idaho, Iowa and New Hampshire (3.8%)"

So even these nice states like New Hampshire and Utah and Vermont are being dishonest with us?

Sounds like a conspiracy.......fill us in!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
Thank you. This is the most informative write up on the set backs to paradise I have ever read. I am also a native returning home. You did forget to mention the no-see-ems. ...don't stand by a bush at feeding time. Smiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area