U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 AM

45 posts, read 45,037 times

Advertisements

Why are there so few homes with Solar Panels down here? I see more in PA & the Midwest than I see down here and wonder why? Do the hurricanes have something to do with this?

Thanks,
Calvin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM

20,961 posts, read 7,469,781 times
Probably lack of state tax credits and state policy.....also, lots of seasonal houses (snowbirds), so that it doesn't pay off as well since many are not here in the summer (for DHW, etc.).

Since the state has no income tax there cannot be credits against it. I do notice quite a few "corporate" tax credits for renewables in Florida.

There is a different mindset in Florida as evidenced by Rick Scott "outlawing" discussions about climate change. The government is controlled by the far right (in a general sense, inland and northern Florida), while the populace is more liberal (than the gubment).

Again, lots of that is due to seasonal residents. They often don't vote or have Florida as their state of residence.

PA, NJ, MA and many many other states have comprehensive energy policy and credits.
Florida Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a general sense, "red" states are not strongly environmental, progressive (on energy, etc.) and favor fossil fuels and the old status quo. I'm not putting a value judgement on that - just answering the question!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM

45 posts, read 45,037 times
Well I understand that there is a "homestead" tax break for homeowners of FL who's primary residence is FL. Couldn't the Solar tax credit be applied similarly? Since I'm planning to live there 20 plus years yet I wonder what the payoff for investing in solar would be?

Thanks,
Calvin

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 AM

4,080 posts, read 6,241,941 times
Many new roof warranties are automatically voided if you put solar panels on the roof. There was a program way back in FL to encourage homeowners to install the panels, but a lot of people had various issues with the panels and the number of homes with solar panels dropped. I still come across homes with solar for heating pools now and then but home inspectors have told me that it is very difficult to fully heat a pool in the winter with just solar panels.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z8002a View Post
Well I understand that there is a "homestead" tax break for homeowners of FL who's primary residence is FL. Couldn't the Solar tax credit be applied similarly? Since I'm planning to live there 20 plus years yet I wonder what the payoff for investing in solar would be?

Thanks,
Calvin
Check into Federal credits for PV - which could be mounted on the ground on most properties...to avoid the problems with roof warranties, etc.

Also, PV pays back whether you are in residence or not since it feeds into the electric.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,102,115 times
FPL electric is about 10 cents per Kwh. Even if we had 'credits', you would not see pay back for DECADES.
Easy to calculate. Cost of system divided by cost of savings of heating water per year equals years to break even.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
FPL electric is about 10 cents per Kwh. Even if we had 'credits', you would not see pay back for DECADES.
Easy to calculate. Cost of system divided by cost of savings of heating water per year equals years to break even.
You are correct - that is cheap electric! I was paying 10 cents back in 1990 in NJ. At this point inflation itself should have made that double or triple.

I worked in the energy sector for many years and my current outlook is that renewables ARE taking over, but in general doing so on a larger scale. It's more likely that we'll see the roofs of Wal-Mart with PV panels than individual houses. Example:

"IKEA has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 1,189 kW of solar capacity at their location in Tampa"

I think this is actually a good trend because large scale systems are easier to maintain per KWH than smaller ones. I would not be surprised if Florida ended up getting a large % of it's electric from Solar within the next 20-30 years.

However, more enlightened state policy would help:
"Florida, “the sunshine state,” ranks third in the nation for solar potential, but all the way down at 13th for cumulative solar capacity installed. Florida’s solar policies lag behind many other states in the nation: it has no renewable portfolio standard and does not allow power purchase agreements, two policies that have driven investments in solar in other states."

Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,187,204 times
Electric cheap, panels expensive. Easy math. I can spend $60,000 and outfit my house, or just pay my electric bill for 17 years instead and keep the interest I lost on the $60k and double that money in 7 years in the investment market.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,102,115 times
$60,000 divided by 17 is $294 a month WOW that's a lot of electric use for a residence. Got a pot farm in the garage? If you are using $294 worth of electricity a month, your whole lot, not only the roof would need to be covered with panels to generate that kind of power.
If you have panels just for hot water, your pay back is about 125 years.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:51 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,187,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
$60,000 divided by 17 is $294 a month WOW that's a lot of electric use for a residence. Got a pot farm in the garage? If you are using $294 worth of electricity a month, your whole lot, not only the roof would need to be covered with panels to generate that kind of power.
If you have panels just for hot water, your pay back is about 125 years.
LOL. My electric bill is generally $250 to $350 a month. That's the power of 5 TV's, a movie room, and 6 computers always on always running. Plus, I like my central air at 70(F) which is lower than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>