Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM

23 posts, read 38,570 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I plan to move to Bradenton to rent an apartment while searching for and waiting for a new construction. Since I'm selling my home in MD, I can only guesstimate my move at this time, but it should be in the May/June, 2015, timeframe. I would like a furnished one bedroom, but will take two bedrooms for reasonable price (under $1,200, furnished). This would be for my wife, her cat, and myself. I already have an idea of where I would like to purchase, which gives me access to the Manatee River.

Also does anyone know, or know where I can find out the approximate price difference (percentage addition or dollar addition to cost), of unfurnished vs. furnished for apartments in the Bradenton area?

Any ideas on where to find an apartment for my purpose, in Bradenton, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:48 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
If you want furnished, your best bet would be to go to one of the vacation rental places like VRBO or Homeaway. Since you're planning to come down after the season and you want to stay all summer, you'll probably be able to find something in your price range.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
It is going to be difficult finding a furnished condo rental that will allow a cat. I know this because some friends with a lovely cat tried finding one in the not too distant past and there were less than a handful in the area that were even a possibility. Plus, most short term rentals are going to be condos, not apartments, and the condo associations typically do not allow tenants to have pets at all.

You might have better luck finding a furnished home, the landlords have more flexibility on pet policies. There are also some apartment complexes that allow small pets, but those will not be furnished.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Vacation Rental by Owner has a filters page. You can select the box for pets allowed.

Not trying to be discouraging, but the market for any type of rental is very tight. Landlords can afford to be picky and can charge rents that may seem high. That is the state of the current rental market. It is especially difficult for pet owners.

Several decades ago when I moved from Ohio to California, I adopted my 2 cats out to loving new owners before leaving Ohio. I just couldn't take the risk of showing up in a new state with a UHaul full of furniture and being unable to find anyone who would rent to me. You might want to think about having a relative keep your cat for you until you are in your own home.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks all, for your replies, albeit quite disturbing. We really don't have relatives who can keep Nauticat for us. We have to administer medicines to him, and wouldn't wish to put that burden on anyone.

Condo or home rentals may be quite steep, especially vacation homes. Looks like most of them go for about $1K/week.

We'll just keep looking, and hope for the best, and perhaps someone else will chime in with more encouraging information for me.

Again, thanks to each of you.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Your best bet is a 12 month lease on an unfurnished place. I would suggest your bring your kitchen stuff and head to Costco or Goodwill or Craigslist for furniture.

It is the combination of your three wishes that makes it tough: furnished, less than 12 months, and cat. If you could cut it down to accept pet, you would have a much better chance. The good news is May-June is the time of year with the most openings.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks Cardiff. I'll have to ponder this a bit. I'm such a positive thinker, I still feel I'll find SOMETHING to me our needs, including Nauticat's. He's our "soldier," and we would never leave that dude behind, if you get my drift. And, he knows it, lol. !

Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM

74 posts, read 142,680 times
When I moved to Bradenton I was able to get 2 out of the 3: 1/1 apartment, short term lease with cat, UNfurnished.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Problem is that "accept pet" often does not include a cat--just dogs
Good luck

Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Problem is that "accept pet" often does not include a cat--just dogs
Good luck
@lovestoread - How can you intelligently make a statement like that? What data is your statement based on? Where have you seen such a statement from apartment rental communities, collectively? Moreover, you say "accept pet OFTEN does not include a cat." Does that mean over one-half of apartment renters diss cats over dogs? I suppose I really should just take that statement with a half-grain of salt, if that much.

From all that I've heard and read in my research, cats would be "accepted" marginally more before dogs. In fact, I have found qualifications such as, "only cats and 'small' dogs accepted," or, "we have restrictions on the 'size' of the dog, please inquire." I personally have never seen it where dogs are accepted but cats are not. Perhaps, more often than not, you personally have encountered just the opposite, and that, I suppose, is the reason for your statement. C'mon, please do your external research before you make statement to the public like that.

I've owned both cats and dogs, occasionally at the same time. My cat, as he/she quietly perch on a 'cat' tree grooming itself, would at times look at the dog(s), and perhaps wonder, "what the heck is up with that annoying behavior." Here's an excerpt from the Petfinders website:

"Availability of Pet-friendly Housing

According to the information reported in the landlords’ surveys, approximately one half of the housing is pet-friendly. However, only 9% of housing allowed companion animals without any significant limitations on size or type. Approximately one half of rental housing allowed cats, the easiest type of animal to get housing for. Large dogs were the most difficult, with only 11% of housing allowing these animals. Most tenants (82%) with animals reported having trouble finding a rental unit that would take their pet(s)."

For your edification, here's the Petfinder website, where you'll see more counter arguments to your statement:

http://tinyurl.com/pp26xsx

Perhaps I should thank you for your comment, and just respectfully disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area