U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

I'm extremely phobic about crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa! It's beautiful for sure but I just cannot drive over it! I have to go to TPA to pick up some friends & I need an alternate route to get me to the airport! I'm coming from the Venice area....does anyone have an alternate way to get there without going over that bridge please???? Thanks so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,029,814 times
Take Interstate 75 North to Interstate 4. Travel west on Interstate 4, toward Tampa, to Interstate 275. Go south to exit 39 and follow the signs to the airport entrance.

But if you can get over your issues with the Skyway Bridge, that route is definitely faster.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,159,524 times
It only broke and fell into the bay once. Nothing to worry about! They rebuilt it of course, and said it "should be safer this time, sry bout before".

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,739,403 times
Well, it did break and fall into the bay but it didn't just happen...I mean, a ship ran into it. That can't happen now with the fenders they built. Of course, that doesn't prevent someone from causing an accident and sending your car over the barrier but that's another story.

I used to drive over that bridge twice daily for years and years and I still have to fight to keep control of myself so I don't get too tense. And, I love the view!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,029,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
It only broke and fell into the bay once. Nothing to worry about! They rebuilt it of course, and said it "should be safer this time, sry bout before".
You think the current bridge is a nail biter, I actually went across the old metal bridge a number of times after the accident you refer to, the east bridge that is, as the west bridge had a big gap at the top where pieces had fallen into the bay. The bridge was narrow and the traffic was 2 ways, the bridge floor was metal and your car tires made a horrible sound. Now that is adventuresome bridge crossing.

For those that don't know what we are referring to, there was a horrible accident to the old Skyway Bridge
back in 1980, here's a link to the story:
Tampabay: Horrific accident created an unforgettable scene

The new bridge was engineered to prevent a ship hitting it, but there was one very large accident on the northbound lanes of the bridge due to fog back in December of 1996:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...59,32767&hl=en

We make a point not to cross the bridge if fog is predicted, but other than that we've taken the trip multiple times to St. Pete without any issues.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 PM

33,524 posts, read 53,359,303 times
Try the suspension bridge that serves New Orleans...
I agree...I don't enjoy that sensation/feeling...but I get it when I do very tall overpasses on the freeway--not just bridges...

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 7,410,126 times
I don't like the fact the sides are so low. It seems very possible that a car rear-ending you could push you over the edge. I guess if it hasn't happened in all these years, maybe it's not very likely, but I wouldn't like to be the test case of the theory. So when I'm crossing it, I try to stay in the left lane and hope there is no traffic around me. The view at the apex of the bridge is just spectacular....unfortunately, I'm too scared to take my eyes off the road for one second.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,159,524 times
btw, to actually answer the OP's question, yes, just take I-75 north to Tampa and then shoot across downtown till you get to the airport.

http://maps.google.com

Old 04-10-2015, 05:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,525,034 times
I remember when the skyway Bridge accident happened. I went up in a helicopter with my father, who owned a local newspaper, to get aerial pics of the accident. I was about eight years old.

It's kind of creepy because for several years, close to the anniversary of the bridge accident, someone got killed working on building the new bridge. The Skyway actually has its own website: http://www.skywaybridge.com/accident.htm. Then I remember my friends high school teacher jumped off the bridge when we were kids. They actually keep tabs of all the bridge jumpers and what happened to them. There was a guy who jumped with his Rottweiler a few years back and the guy died but the pup lived. Then there was the guy who jumped and lived and came up with some kind of anti bridge jumping invention. bridge jumper prevention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: