Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what realtors in the Bradenton fl area help with finding section 8 voucher rental homes???? Having such a hard time... They have a site called gosection8 but you have to pay a 40 dollar fee and im not sure if this is a scam.. my family and I are already out of my home in the Ocala area staying with family till I find a place...Already ported to Bradenton fl they gave me 160 days to find a home and have been looking for 3 weeks now....Finding one on my own is almost impossible...Please Help if you can Thank you for any advice leading me to the right direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
Realtors don't usually deal with rentals. Not enough money in it to justify their time. Also the rental market here is insanely tight. There are not rentals for anyone, so landlords who have never done section 8 don't have a lot of incentive to try something new.

Based on our experience in CA accepting section 8, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. The section 8 office usually has a notebook in the office where landlords with current vacancies fill out a sheet for section 8 clients to fill out.

2. Search craigslist and put "section 8" in the search box. Most that come up will say section 8 not accepted, but 1 or 2 might come up that will.

3. Sell a potential landlord on virtues of section 8. Our first section 8 tenant was someone who talked us into it. Here are the advantages.

a. Section 8 typically pays above market rents. The premium is less in Sarasota than it was in CA because rents have escalated in Sarasota recently. But lets say Section 8 will pay $1289 for a two bedroom that the landlord is only asking $1200 for, that extra $89 is compelling.

b. Section 8 direct deposits the government funded portion directly into the landlords bank account so there is zero collection risk. If the government funded portion is high, that guaranteed payment is reassuring.

c. The local housing office will be all over you like white on rice if you cause any problems. No one wants to lose their eligibility, so people either don't cause problems in the first place or cease immediately when told to.

d. Section 8 inspects the property annually so the tenant has to maintain it well.

The major disadvantage to section 8 is the requirement to give tenants 90 days notice if the landlord terminates the lease--even it if is just a non-renewal at the end of the lease term. If that feature scares the landlord, you could offer to sign a off books agreement that you would leave with a 30 day notice bypassing your right to a 90 day notice.

The other disadvantage is the time section 8 takes to transfer locations. Your changes of getting someone to wait are slim to none. You need to be Manatee country approved before you start to look. Landlords will have their choice of tenants who can move in "today" so if they have to wait for you to get your act together, it is not happening.

Go look at potential rentals, and be your most spiffed up and polished self. You want to look very middle class and don't feed into potential landlords fears that section 8 only serves trailer trash. Try to build a rapport with the landlord and then explain section 8 and the advantages above. Don't call or email and ask if they will accept section 8. The answer will be no. Most likely you will have to convert someone to a section 8 landlord because they want to rent to you.

Remember that every section 8 landlords was not a section 8 landlord before they were. Someone had to convince them to try the program.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM

7,979 posts, read 4,627,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelled810 View Post
Does anyone know what realtors in the Bradenton fl area help with finding section 8 voucher rental homes???? Having such a hard time... They have a site called gosection8 but you have to pay a 40 dollar fee and im not sure if this is a scam.. my family and I are already out of my home in the Ocala area staying with family till I find a place...Already ported to Bradenton fl they gave me 160 days to find a home and have been looking for 3 weeks now....Finding one on my own is almost impossible...Please Help if you can Thank you for any advice leading me to the right direction
The GoSection8 web site is free. If someone is trying to charge you $40 to use the site then they are trying to scam you. Just use the following link to go to the GoSection8 web site from your computer:

GoSection8.com - Section 8 Rental Housing & Apartments Listing Service for Landlords & Tenants

By the way I noticed that quite a few of the listings say that they don't require a Section 8 voucher. In other words anybody looking for a "low-cost" rental can use the GoSection8 web site. Without a Section 8 voucher though renters have to pay the full asking price. It seems a lot of the 'lower-cost' rentals might not be in the greatest neighborhoods and generally speaking they aren't "upscale". Still IMO it could be worth a look for anybody trying to find a bargain.

For Section 8 renters it's easiest to just use the GoSection8 web site to find a unit that's already accepting Section 8 tenants. However if the renter is willing to put in some time and do more leg work - they could probably find a nicer rental unit by contacting private landlords on Craigslist (and convincing them to enter the Section 8 program). Some landlords won't be interested in joining Section 8 so that route definitely takes more work.

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-01-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area