Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to the area in a month, and I just had a fairly successful interview that looks promising with Florida Hospital Tampa. I'm going to be staying in Bradenton for about a year while exploring the area and figuring out exactly where I want to settle. This would roughly be my commute:

Map

Per google maps it would be 50 minutes without traffic. How realistic is this estimate? Is this a commute that would be terrible traffic-wise? I'll be on nights to start, so my commute to work (driving north) would be around 6:00pm, and my commute home (commuting south) would be around 7:00am. Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I'm going to be moving to the area in a month, and I just had a fairly successful interview that looks promising with Florida Hospital Tampa. I'm going to be staying in Bradenton for about a year while exploring the area and figuring out exactly where I want to settle. This would roughly be my commute:

Map

Per google maps it would be 50 minutes without traffic. How realistic is this estimate? Is this a commute that would be terrible traffic-wise? I'll be on nights to start, so my commute to work (driving north) would be around 6:00pm, and my commute home (commuting south) would be around 7:00am. Any insight would be appreciated!
It is realistic. We live in south Manatee by the airport, and my husband drives to downtown Tampa every day. Traffic almost always moves nicely. Plus you have the added benefit of going against the traffic. Very doable.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:

Map

I would do a test drive to see how you feel about the drive also if it is only for a year with a good job you could do it. You should be going against traffic which would help also

Old 05-01-2015, 05:06 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
what's the commute presently? If you did it before there is no reason why it couldn't be done. the likely problems would be traffic accidents and road closures. Otherwise, 1 hour is doable.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
Thank you so much for the insight! You guys have confirmed what I was thinking- that it would be pretty doable for me . I'm not actually living in the area yet, but have made several trips down over the last year to get a feel for the area. I did a test drive last time I was down there and it felt ok, but it was at a different time of the day which is why I wasn't too sure. Presently I have a 45 minute commute which I'm fine with, so I figure a little further is ok.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:03 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Traffic generally is very smooth with minimal backups heading north into Tampa until you get close to the I-4 interchange. Even then it's not bad, just more cars and sometimes you slow down slightly. For most of your trip you'll be going fast.

Be careful about speed traps. There is a section near Ruskin on I-75 that sometimes has 6 squad cars out giving tickets at the same time. They pull over car after car after car. So your biggest issue is forcing yourself not to go too much over the speed limit. That's how nice the traffic flows.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 PM

287 posts, read 300,014 times
My niece drove from our house in Sarasota to Bush Gardens, 1 1/4 hour minimum, and back for 2 1/2 years, so it can't be all that bad. She moved out now and I'm heartbroken, but I digress.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbi jo newnen View Post
Been there, done that...

Moving forward, I would not want to do it for long - the traffic and flow in Tampa is getting far more congested by the year - so is the traffic all around Sarasota/Manatee and the choke points or ingress and egress around the I75 access/secondary road points...by 2016 , just a year away you're going to witness and experience at least a 7% increase in N/S traffic. You can get transportation analysis from FDOT, and the planning commission, plus the respective counties themselves. Hillsborough is already obsolete in my opinion.

I have commuted in many much larger cities (e.g. Dallas, Atlanta S/D, et al) and this place is getting to be quite congested more than it was just 5 years ago. I am no newcomer either. Been around since 1977, so I've seen the drama and know all of the actors in the "play" of planning and investment.

Good luck, but I would advise and plan against it in the longer term. Really. Don't let anyone tell you it's "not that bad". The only drive that is relatively "easy", is a drive from Manatee to downtown St Pete, and back every day. Going to Tampa via 75 and 4, and the Crosstown every day, you can guarantee yourself that you will experience drama about every other day.
Sooo not true - my husband has been making the drive for 6 years now, and has only had a delay or problem once or twice.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 PM

244 posts, read 372,919 times
Quote:

Map

extremely Doable, will be a lot better than driving into manhattan from brooklyn...if that is what you do now ? Tampa traffic is not anything like NY traffic, there is traffic but nothing like the BQE or LIE on a friday in the summer !!!!!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:

Map

Sounds like you would be avoiding the "rush" hours ~ not so bad...go play in rush hour traffic & you might have a different opinion. It's one thing if you have cheap or no rent but the time spent commuting, gas would be deciding factors, IMO. It's preferable to live within ten miles of work. We do have much more traffic on the highways year round than in the past. Factor in the reliability of your vehicle as well. Does your position include taking "call" or ability to be "called in"? I can't imagine wanting to commute 120+ mile a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area