Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 8,180 times

Advertisements

I did a four-point inspection recently and noted that there was no ground for the electrical panel. Now the insurance company has requested that the ground wire and be installed. Obviously I am not an electrical inspector. The homeowner plans to have it installed and wants me to verify it. I'm not sure about my obligation to do so, or what my liability concerns should be.
Any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 AM

249 posts, read 321,336 times
I have been told that a receipt from a licensed electrician explaining what was done and given to the insurance company will work just fine.
It appears that the person doing the inspection does not have to get involved.
I am sure someone else will chime in here who has been through this before.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
Electrical work usually requires a permit with the county. If the electrician does the work and pulls a permit, it has to be inspected by the county and must pass inspection. Then the 4 point inspection report needs to be updated in order for insurance to be issued. It can be by a licensed individual. So, the actual electrician can sign off on the electrical part after he completes the work. Usually the insurance company will want verification of some sort. I would have the buyer call whatever insurance company they are going to use to see what they will accept. If you don't feel comfortable signing off on the electrical work after it has been completed, have the electrician that did the work sign it. See below.

Home inspection return inspections-4-point.jpg

Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
When we bought home several years ago the inspection showed that some wires in the breaker box were not attached correctly--
probably they should never have passed inspection by the city/county when the previous owners/sellers had the kitchen remodeled and added new breaker box and new lines...but it wasn't caught then...

The insurance company saw the inspection report and said no insurance until the wires were correctly attached...
our realtor gave us name of good electrician who came out and did the work right away--our realtor facilitated it since we had not closed on the house at the time--had work done prior to closing which I don't recommend but it was relocation move--the owners had sold to the relo company and the relo company was not making any repairs as per the contract--so we had to do it to have insurance lined up for closing--it was close to start of hurricane season and we didn't want to have storm roll in and prevent getting insurance...

The electrician emailed receipt (we gave credit card info over the phone) and photo of the repair to us and we sent them to the insurance company
that was enough to clear the problem...
didn't get permit--wasn't told we needed one--but our electrician was licensed...
and guess we sent them to the inspection company as well but don't know that the inspection company came out and saw the breaker box--maybe they did and we had to pay second fee for second visit...

Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,997,474 times
Simply installing a grounding rod will not require a permit/inspection. It's a $20 rod with a grounding cable running from it to the panel. In fact, the national electric code now requires TWO rods, a minimum of 6ft apart. It's a very minor correction, but one has to wonder, how old is this place?? Ground rods have been the norm for many decades.
I would not allow the homeowner to do this themselves, unless they are a licensed electrician. I would have it quoted by a professional and have the seller pay for it since it is not up to code.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
This is a great guide from a home inspector for items that require a permit in Manatee County, Sarasota County and the City of Sarasota. Company Home Page

Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 AM

11 posts, read 8,180 times
The house was built in 1965. It turns out that the homeowner replaced the panel himself a few years ago. He did a nice job on that, but I guess he forgot about grounding. When testing receptacles everything appears fine. That can be deceiving. Ground wires, rods etc are a pet peeve of mine. Probably the best-hidden safety hazard.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:27 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
We charge $50 if we have to go back out, take a photo of the correction, modify and reissue the report. But the above posts are correct, the homeowner can usually submit an invoice and clear it up themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: