Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 47,294 times

Advertisements

We are thinking or relocating to Englewood. My BIL and SIL already have, and they live in Overbrook Gardens. They love it in Englewood. We will be visiting them this summer and would like to scope out some neighborhoods. We would like a neighborhood with an Old Florida style, but not a lot of seedy/shady neighbors. We've also thought about Venice too. I'd like to be less than 3 miles to the the beach.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Englewood is, for the most part, an "old Florida" town. There are some great neighborhoods, but it's not a manicured coastal town like most are now. It's not for everyone, but we love it here! Overbrook Gardens Englewood Isles are both beautiful neighborhoods. Not really "old Florida", but nice nonetheless.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,913 times
Englewood is certainly nice but everyones definition of "nice" is different. We had our minds set on some particular areas until we came down and spent time driving around getting somewhat familiar with the areas. Our focus areas changed following that. I can't stress first hand investigation enough. Had we bought where we initially thought prior to being here, we wouldn't have been very happy.
As always, YMMV.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Englewood is certainly nice but everyones definition of "nice" is different. We had our minds set on some particular areas until we came down and spent time driving around getting somewhat familiar with the areas. Our focus areas changed following that. I can't stress first hand investigation enough. Had we bought where we initially thought prior to being here, we wouldn't have been very happy.
As always, YMMV.
Exactly!

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Are you looking to buy or rent? A recommendation of neighborhoods would depend on your price range and style of living. Are you planning to retire here or do you have a family with kids? There are some older neighborhoods with older homes where your insurance rates will be higher and there are some newer communities too.

Some Englewood neighborhood names are Bay Vista, Boca Royale, Englewood Gardens, Englewood Isles, Keyway Place, Manasota Gardens, Overbrook Gardens, Oyster Creek, Park Forest, Stillwater.

Venice has a variety of neighborhoods to choose from as well, again depending on your price range. If you are not looking for the larger, resort style communities you can look in Gulf View Estates, Venice East, Heritage Lake Estates, Pennington Place, Pinebrook, Quail Lake, South Venice, Southwood, Venice Gardens, Ventura Village, Waterford, Woodmere Lakes.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,836 times
This search wasn't available when we purchased 8 years ago but it's interesting to see where crimes are.
CrimeMapping.com - National Map
Of course Englewood is in both Sarasota and Charlotte counties and Charlotte does not have a crime map (that I've found).

A really good search map is the FDLE (law enforcement) map that locates all pedophile and sex offenders. Before looking at a property I would always look up the address and see who was nearby. One real estate agent in Bradenton got mad at me when I told her why I would not even look at one house because a sexual predator was 2 miles away.
I like the map search that shows the whole area up to 5 miles from an address.
https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/of...hoodSearchMain

Most of Englewood is extremely safe compared to other places.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 AM

22 posts, read 47,294 times
We are retiring. Nice to us is well kept homes, not necessarily expensive homes. Where people take pride in their property. We would like to stay under $150,000, but we could go up to 200,000 if it were turnkey ready. I just don't want to worry about the meth lab down the street. I know they are everywhere, including the upscale neighborhoods, but I don't want to be in what "looks" like a meth neighborhood. I hope I don't come off a snooty, because I'm far from that. I live in Louisville now, although a wonderful place, there's just some areas you don't want to be in. Also, my sister in law, says make sure you're on sewers and city water. Just how much extra is flood insurance?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:06 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
We are retiring. Nice to us is well kept homes, not necessarily expensive homes. Where people take pride in their property. We would like to stay under $150,000, but we could go up to 200,000 if it were turnkey ready. I just don't want to worry about the meth lab down the street. I know they are everywhere, including the upscale neighborhoods, but I don't want to be in what "looks" like a meth neighborhood. I hope I don't come off a snooty, because I'm far from that. I live in Louisville now, although a wonderful place, there's just some areas you don't want to be in. Also, my sister in law, says make sure you're on sewers and city water. Just how much extra is flood insurance?
I don't mean to be pessimistic but finding a place within 3 miles of the beaches for under 150k is a monumental task, if it's even possible. We just bought in a very nice community for well more than that. We're about 4 miles from the Gulf "as the crow flies", 11 miles from Englewood Beach via roads but that's certainly not a bad trip.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:15 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,187,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
Somebody posted this link on another thread a few weeks ago. DEA.gov: National Clandestine Laboratory Register. Interesting to note how few there are in Sarasota and Charlotte county.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,459 times
What the heck is a clandestine lab??? I read the definition on the DEA web site, but it was written in
government-ese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area