Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM

16 posts, read 11,782 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move at the beginning of next year and would like to find a job working for the state, I currently work for the Welfare Department in Allentown, Pa...trying to find the same job in Florida...any good advice or web sites that i can check out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I worked for Sarasota county for many years and it was a pretty good gig. Here's a link to some of the job opportunities with the county:

https://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj01/ats/...=ADVANCE&cws=3

Here's some stuff with the city of Sarasota:
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sar...ov/default.cfm

Here are a few jobs in Venice:
http://www.venicegov.com/job_openings.asp

Also once you get in with the city/county you get preference to switch to other jobs you are qualified for.

If you looking for a state job in the same field you would probably want the FL Dept of Children & Families also known as DCF.

https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/pe...A==)/logon.htm

Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM

thank you so much for the information....I am trying to find a job before i move, have enough savings for about 6 months but would like work before the move.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Finding a job while you have an out of state address is going to be difficult. Most employers will not consider out of state applicants unless it is a specialty position that is difficult to fill locally. It's because there are generally more local applicants for jobs than openings. That is especially true for many of the government positions.

Pay scales here are not what people expect when they move down from the northeast, wages here tend to be lower, benefits are often less as well. Lots of people move to FL each year to escape the cold winters up north, and employers take advantage of that fact. Many jobs in our area are in the medical field (because of the retiree population) or service related (tourism).

I am not trying to discourage you from relocating, only giving you a heads up as to what you can expect to find. I would suggest checking out pay scales here for the kind of work you are seeking, then look into rental rates as well to see if the numbers work for you.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM

thank you and you didnt discourage me, I am a person who doesnt need much...so a one bedroom will be fine and I'm not a materialistic. I just need water and sun...Im a former Navy man and miss the ocean. This is basically my second half of life, and Im wicked smart, so employment should not be a problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
FYI, the state of FL pays very low. I used to get their job emails 1x per week when I was testing the waters for engineering & project mgmt related positions. "10yrs experience, masters degree preferred, $34,000-$40,000 pay scale" Are you kidding me!?!?? One would have to be VERY desperate to apply for that! People with that experience & education are making $100k+

Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
FYI, the state of FL pays very low. I used to get their job emails 1x per week when I was testing the waters for engineering & project mgmt related positions. "10yrs experience, masters degree preferred, $34,000-$40,000 pay scale" Are you kidding me!?!?? One would have to be VERY desperate to apply for that! People with that experience & education are making $100k+
I agree ^^^. Of all the government type jobs, state is by FAR the lowest, really terrible. I would advise trying to get county or Federal employment, those pay VERY well. Although we live in Manatee County, my husband commutes to downtown Tampa (Hillsborough County) and has an excellent high paying job with the county there, and great benefits.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM

thank you all for the help, I really do appreciate it!!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area