Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 06:31 PM

34 posts, read 42,174 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

27 year old young professional here, interviewing at the end of the month. I'll be there for couple of days and I want to spend my entire time checking out Sarasota so I'm ready.

Would love some advice! I have been doing my own research on the side, but I'd love some opinions here -

For now, it'll be me and my 7mon old german shepherd puppy Meeka. Once I've settled in (6mons - 8mons), my sister will probably move out here.

Looking for @ 1 bed 1 bath or 2 beds 1 bath under $1,000/mon - Any recommendations?
Pet friendly of course
Easy walkable access to the beach so I can take Meeka for a walk in the evening
I would prefer living in an area with people around my age but it's not a huge priority
I don't mind renting a house as long as my Meeka is allowed - Thoughts on that?

I've been living in Houston for more than 13 years. I'm ready to leave Houston behind and start something Sarasota.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Read the thread about rents in Sarasota and be aware renting with a large dog (eventually) will be a problem in many complexes...
Search this forum for RENTALS
and threads will come up

Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
The rental market is extremely tight. What is available in your interview won't be available when you move here. Is is good to get a sense of the neighborhoods in advance, but you may not be able to find a place in your preferred location which meets your criteria when you are ready to sign a lease. And FYI, there are very few beaches that allow dogs.

The good news is that this is the best time of year to find a rental because you are not competing with snowbirds. Since it is summer, this is your best shot for finding what you want. I am seeing a few for rent signs. I saw none between November and April.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 AM

747 posts, read 846,759 times
OP just did this myself. Here's some of what I learned:
We love the area, look into doing a day drive from Holmes Beach down to Armands circle and you'll probably send for Meeka and your belongings. Great dining and bar options, gorgeous blue water and white sands.

Unfortunately the rental market is tough, I got lucky but a rental house seems to be the way to go with animals. I have a dynamite realtor in Bradenton but don't know if she goes/knows/does Sarasota. Forget Trulia.com, it's a waste of your hopes. The listings are largely unavailable. Stick with the Florida MLs site. Realtors don't get much commission on a rental so you have to be patient be most won't jump through hoops for you. However mine was smart knowing many people will buy after their year and she has already developed a good relationship in hopes you buy with her.

In my field and my wife's our salary ended up being a dead lateral move which is great be we expected a large decline in income going south from NJ.

Some things to check out while your in town, Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton waterfront (downtown) area. Armands Circle. Anna Maria island. The new shopping mall off hi way 75 (I think) really depends on your lifestyle but being 27 I figure you're not hitting up art galleries and such....but I could be wrong

All in all we were hoping for a better quality of life and to be excited in our careers again. We are moving down in 3 weeks and can not wait!!!! The biggest resistance I saw was finding animal friendly housing, I don't get it but anything over 30 pounds seemed to be frowned upon

Good luck

Old 06-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Just found what appears to be an amazing rescue group and they have rental info:
Pet Friendly Places « Nate's Honor Animal Rescue

Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post

Unfortunately the rental market is tough, I got lucky but a rental house seems to be the way to go with animals.

What was the price range for houses you looked at?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
I would try Holmes Beach. This is the off-season, so you might luck into something. I had some friends who had pets and had an affordable place there, so it's not impossible. Do keep in mind that large dogs tend to be a deal-breaker for probably 80% of rentals.

Good luck, if you can find a place, I know you will love it here.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
What was the price range for houses you looked at?
$2200-$2500 per month

Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM

201 posts, read 237,528 times
Easy walkable access to the beach for under $1000/month ... not going to happen. Even $1000/week will be hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area