U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 AM

657 posts, read 1,700,741 times

Advertisements

we are living in CT and are planning our move to florida in the near future. all i can see on the listings for the area im looking at bradenton 34202 is gated community homes.
i dont think i want the hoa fees tacked on to a mortage.
is there anywhere i can search out forclosures without joining and paying a monthly fee?
i would love some feedback on gated community vs. not.
i would also love some feedback on this particular area as well. my husband and i are 36-38 and have 2 small girls 3-5.
will my husband have a hard time with a job in this area. he has a class b cdl
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 AM

367 posts, read 1,601,419 times
Pardon my ignorance what is a class B CDL?
You dont have to live on a gated community, this is not a very dangerous place to live, certainly there are areas to avoid though.
You don't say any budget so it's hard to establish what you are looking for.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 AM

367 posts, read 1,601,419 times
sorry just looked it up
and I'm afraid I have little knowledge of careers in that field

Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,772,880 times
I think a CDL will find employment almost anywhere.
Personally, I think gated communities are a joke. I don't care for the Brandon area at all, but houses might be cheaper over there.
Most crime is committed by someone who knows the victim. Criminals can live behind gates, too.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

68 posts, read 271,730 times
Gated communities are a total joke. People follow others in the gates all the time. False sense of security.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
Pardon my ignorance what is a class B CDL?
You dont have to live on a gated community, this is not a very dangerous place to live, certainly there are areas to avoid though.
You don't say any budget so it's hard to establish what you are looking for.
we are searching in the $250,000 range. with a pool. we searched some schools in the areas. bradenton 34202 has 2 schools that i think will be wonderful. so thats the focus.
we want to take a trip to check things out but flights are crazy now! i have friends in the area too so hopefully i can get a better feel for the area.
i dont think the gated lifestyle is for us.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,394,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
we are living in CT and are planning our move to florida in the near future. all i can see on the listings for the area im looking at bradenton 34202 is gated community homes.
i dont think i want the hoa fees tacked on to a mortage.
is there anywhere i can search out forclosures without joining and paying a monthly fee?
i would love some feedback on gated community vs. not.
i would also love some feedback on this particular area as well. my husband and i are 36-38 and have 2 small girls 3-5.
will my husband have a hard time with a job in this area. he has a class b cdl
Living in a gated community means HOA fees. I am almost sure that you will have to pay the HOA fees...

Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM

91 posts, read 363,598 times
It depends on if the gates are manned gates or electronic gates. I lived in South FL and our community had a guard at the gate 24 hours a day. Noone got in without permission. In fact, even the residents had to check in and show their valid gate card and license to confirm address after Midnight to make sure they lived there. That was comforting.

The electronic gates are somewhat of a joke. Most of the ones I have seen where friends or family live only work half the time and the gates are wide open for anyone to come in or out. And you still probably have to pay a fee for it in the HOA.

You will definately pay more for a manned gate, you are paying the salary of the guards. But if you would like that piece of mind, by all means, it it worth it.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM

57 posts, read 178,527 times
I agree and disagree with people saying that gated communities are a joke. I think no one should ever feel completely secure, because you just never know. Someone said that people who live in the gates could be criminals and that's very true. Less likely, but possible.

On the other hand, a gate is a deterrent and is still probably safer than areas without gates. Doesn't mean nongated communities are bad or unsafe, I'm just saying safer. If someone really wants to get in, there are very few things that will keep them out, no matter the security. One neighborhood I'm looking at has a gate with a gate guard. However, the neighborhood is HUUUUGE. What's that ONE guy going to do? (He patrols during the day. I don't know if that's only while the neighborhood is still being built or if that will be the norm.) In my mind, every little bit helps make me feel a little safer, but I wouldn't say that I would have a false sense of security if I lived there.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 AM

26,984 posts, read 43,274,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
we are searching in the $250,000 range. with a pool. we searched some schools in the areas. bradenton 34202 has 2 schools that i think will be wonderful. so thats the focus.
we want to take a trip to check things out but flights are crazy now! i have friends in the area too so hopefully i can get a better feel for the area.
i dont think the gated lifestyle is for us.
My son was in a private school in Bradenton and when we moved close to Tampa. He went to a public school and we find out how much he was behind on math and grammar. We had to help him and the school was great and now he improved so much that he is in the gifted program. If it wasn't for our move he would have had bad education, while we were told about all the beautiful stories from the Bradenton teachers, how great he was doing. Since a private school doesn't have to give the FCAT test, you might not notice.
I have no experience with public schools in Bradenton only with 2 different private schools and I wish I had put my daughter in public school as well. It saves a lot of money and our experience is that they are worse than the public schools, at least if you have a good public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area