Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 5,464 times

Advertisements

Yes, the ideas I have are most definitely a pipe dream..but I'm realistic. I know hawaii has exactly the lifestyle I'm looking for, its just too far away. The only place on the main land that is similar would be the keys. Would you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
the keys

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass998 View Post
Yes, the ideas I have are most definitely a pipe dream..but I'm realistic. I know hawaii has exactly the lifestyle I'm looking for, its just too far away. The only place on the main land that is similar would be the keys. Would you agree?
Yes, but be prepared to pay big, and probably not find a good job.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Is there an island that you can live on? Like saneibel island for example? Or do you just drive there for the day type of thing? Once I get a few places that I'm interested in, I'm going to actually go check out the areas in person to get a better feel. I'm not too concerned about the job aspect because of the field that I'm in (fingers crossed). Also, I keep reading about how bad south Florida is...true? Like the people are very rude ect...

Old 07-05-2015, 10:16 AM

140 posts, read 188,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass998 View Post
Is there an island that you can live on? Like saneibel island for example? Or do you just drive there for the day type of thing? Once I get a few places that I'm interested in, I'm going to actually go check out the areas in person to get a better feel. I'm not too concerned about the job aspect because of the field that I'm in (fingers crossed). Also, I keep reading about how bad south Florida is...true? Like the people are very rude ect...
The west coast is better because the people here are more relaxed. The right coast suffers from a larger income gap between the haves and have nots which is the original recipe for crime. Here people earn a bit less but are better integrated because of it. But check it out for yourself. Also remember, things calm down after a while and when the novelty of your destination wears off, be sure it is a place that you can still like on a daily basis. Living on the mainland vs on an island has a lot of advantages that are not readily apparent to people who quickly move here.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:30 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
If you are seriously considering Key West, go to the general Florida forum and search for posts from StarFishKey. She lives in the Keys and posted extensively about life down there, jobs, treatment of beach bums (homeless), etc. Although the dream sounds great, her posts will give you a slice of reality.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Hah, it actually sounds miserable there. Thanks for the read.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I dunno, but it sounds like you need to check out the Keys. Definitely not Venice...about 60% of the population is over 60 years old. It's a pretty quiet place.
The median age in Venice at this time is 67. Walking distance to the beach is expensive in Sarasota, to either buy or rent, because you will be living on one of the keys (islands). Siesta Key fits a lot of the lifestyle list you're looking for but it is, as I said, expensive. Anna Maria Island just north of Sarasota and west of Bradenton may offer you a little more flexibility on housing prices, but not a great deal. South Venice would be more reasonable but Venice tends to roll up the streets by 8 pm at night.

No place is perfect. Every location will have positives and negatives. That's what is great about having forums such as city-data, it often gives those contemplating a move here a dose of realism about the good, the bad and the ugly of the various locals.

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 07-05-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
the keys
+1...

I would keep going south of Key Largo.

Having done several SCUBA diving trips off sections of the lower/lesser known very sparsely populated Keys, they may offer that on the beach/walk to the beach vibe the OP is looking for. Employment and nightlife are both in short supply, however.

https://goo.gl/maps/cDCsY

Zoom in for a better look.
GL, mD

Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM

8,318 posts, read 4,671,045 times
I think even though as you mentioned Hawaii is far away - based on your description, the Big Island of Hawaii sounds like the best fit towards what you're looking for. Just look on Craigslist and you will see all kinds of rentals/situations in Hawaii - including healthy places with gardens and fruit trees - along with inexpensive off-grid cabins if that interests you. Florida isn't Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area