Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:03 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,480,554 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there ever have an insurance inspector come to your home to see what breed your dog is? I have owned and rented homes for 30 years and this has never happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,095,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Has anyone out there ever have an insurance inspector come to your home to see what breed your dog is? I have owned and rented homes for 30 years and this has never happened to me.
We purchased three rental properties this year and the insurance company sent inspectors to all. We had allowed one tenant to have a dog. We got a written inquiry from the insurance company as to its breed.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,129,770 times
Quote:

yup we had one snooping round, reported our second dog (we had only just got her) and they cancelled 'dog cover'

Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Wow - I wonder if that is a Florida thing - inspectors sneaking around - interesting to know.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Wow - I wonder if that is a Florida thing - inspectors sneaking around - interesting to know.
I don't think so. We had a second home in NC a few years ago, and were asked the exact same questions including about dogs. Ins. companies are VERY STRICT when it comes to this.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 AM

34 posts, read 42,098 times
Thanks for all the help. I just think these companies have a biased opinion on certain breeds. I'll look at some apartments in the Lakewood ranch area.

I can't lie about her not being a German shepherd or a mutt because she looks exactly like a German shepherd; don't think I can fool anyone with that one :/

With that being said, anyone renting out their rental property for 6 mons? ��

Old 07-19-2015, 12:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,175,813 times
Quote:
A few years ago, a friend of mine up in NJ had a bunch of older cars on her insurance policy. She had herself, husband, son, and daughter's cars. Her son liked to work on cars so he had a couple of fixer uppers. Husband had a little 60s sports car (like an Austin Healy) that only ran on Saturdays. She always said cars were like pets and once they got there, they never left.

Anyway, her auto insurance company sent a guy out to snoop around and find out if she was renting the cars. Seems there is a pocket of immigrants of questionable status on the other side of town. She was livid when she found out and promptly changed companies.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 AM

Well German Sheps look like Belgian Malinois - but hey anyway - we were never checked on up North - but this was years ago

Anyway - What happens when your dog is a half of one of the so-called "dangerous dog breeds"?

Or - There are many very big scary dog breeds that are unusual and not on the insurances lists - just putting it out there.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM

54 posts, read 108,909 times
If you can get your dog qualify as a companion dog with a doctor note no one can refuse your dog no matter what breed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area