U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 AM

156 posts, read 136,799 times

Advertisements

When I moved here about 4 years ago, things were very manageable. Now as more and more people move here its getting more difficult to get around the area without knowing back roads and planning your trips to market at 6am or 11pm. Even summer is not as much relief as it used to be. I can only imagine how packed it will all be this winter. But when is it too crowded and its like going to Disney World and standing in line for two hours to get one 15 min ride on Space Mountain?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,068,376 times
eeeh, no.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,619,508 times
That's a big leap there, young fella.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,753,628 times
It all depends on what your perspective is. If you are expecting an "old-Florida" laid back atmosphere with lots of open space and empty roads that time has past here. On the other hand with all of the new development there are more amenities, restaurants, shops, activities etc.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,976,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger4u View Post
When I moved here about 4 years ago, things were very manageable. Now as more and more people move here its getting more difficult to get around the area without knowing back roads and planning your trips to market at 6am or 11pm. Even summer is not as much relief as it used to be. I can only imagine how packed it will all be this winter. But when is it too crowded and its like going to Disney World and standing in line for two hours to get one 15 min ride on Space Mountain?
What areas were you talking about when you said it's difficult to shop for groceries at 11? It's true that traffic jams can be frustrating, especially in downtown Sarasota, but any city has rush hour traffic and, without tourists, Florida's economy would suffer.

Anyway, here's my answer. I've been traveling around and, even off-season, I've found that most desirable places where people want to live have too many people.

I'm currently staying in a small town in Western NC, and there's hardly any traffic at all (and it's the busy season) except between 4-6pm, and that's only near the downtown section. I've never waited in any line, even in Walmart, for more than a few minutes and the supermarkets aren't crowded. The locals think it's too crowded, however. Lots of Florida snowbirds buy summer homes in NC. However, when you get away from the hustle and bustle, there's a price to pay. I don't have the selection I had in Englewood or Port Charlotte (no Best Buy, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, Ross) and the supermarkets are limited (no Fresh Market, no Whole Foods) Even the Walmart (Venice, off Jacaranda) was a lot nicer. However, it's very peaceful and quiet, I feel safe all the time, and most of my neighbors either fly or have 4 legs.

So, yes, the Florida West Coast is no longer a place for quaint, country living, unless you live way out of the city (and there are still some areas with acreage left) but we need to pick and choose our priorities. Sarasota offers a wide variety of shopping, restaurants, cultural events, golfing and beach activities, so it's always going to attract tourists and retirees or 2nd home buyers.

I agree with you that quality of life seems to diminish when crowds of people start taking over a once quiet city, but we can't move to a place, plant roots, and then put up a sign "no more people!" People from all over move to SWFL for its white sand beaches and sunny weather and, as more baby boomers retire, I think it's going to get even worse.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM

252 posts, read 309,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
but we can't move to a place, plant roots, and then put up a sign "no more people!" .
Thats so true. We were in SRQ last weekend for the first-ever summer trip, and we were very surprised how many people were still on the roads and in the restaurants and stores. Even on LBK and St Armands, it almost seemed like business as usual. Obviously it was a bit quieter, but we were expecting a ghost town. No traffic jams, but plenty of volume.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,428,121 times
those "many people" still on the roads and restaurants and stores are called RESIDENTS, for the most part, and we do seem to be able to exercise our right to go about on the roads we pay for and the restaurants we frequent that stay open in the summer because if they didn't, they would have to close.
Yes, the area is congested in the winter time, and yes, the summer time is hot and sometimes unbearable, but we do have this ubiquitous thing called "Air conditioning" almost everywhere, and that's how we survive.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM

252 posts, read 309,074 times
Yes, I understand that, but from reading all the 'tourists ruin everything' threads I was expecting it to be traffic nirvana. Just sayin.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:01 PM

3,590 posts, read 8,470,260 times
We came two year ago from a very crowded area and I am very grateful for how quiet it is here - I did get a little annoyed at the end of "season" when the restaurants got too crowded but all and all I still feel relief right now and love driving down Tamiami with hardly any cars on the road -

Ahhhh - this is the time of year I go to Siesta whenever I feel like it, clothes shopping, and restaurants and I kinda resent it when the snowbirds are back - but - still compared to other places it is still paradise to me.

When I was a child we used to go to Treasure Island Beach every year and it was just some sleepy hotels and a little strip mall -now you cant even find a parking space to get on the beach - I think this area is going to end up like that. So - good place to invest in real estate -

Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM

598 posts, read 435,652 times
After just moving in 2 weeks ago from the tri-state, there is NO traffic (yet) but the damn wait for lights to change is a major adjustment. I understand 4 lanes each direction will change things but I'm quite happy to see restaurants and businesses thriving in the "off" season.....let's bump this in jan and see the different views

But hey, thanks for having us! Although you didn't do much to keep us out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area