Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times

Advertisements

This thread is a really good reason why I will never buy or sell anything through a realtor again as long as I live. MY needs are the priority, not someone's commission. It's so easy to do all this yourself and get what you really want. Anyway, if I never see or hear from another one it will be fine w/ me. We've been buying and selling our own stuff for a long time after getting shafted far too many times. It ain't exactly rocket science! Title companies can be a royal PITA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 03:26 PM

517 posts, read 1,091,623 times
Actually, the real estate agents who have been regular posters to this particular forum for years are, in my opinion, a refreshing exception to what you're talking about. They are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful, and I've learned a lot from them.

I wish one of them would open a satellite office in another area where I've been mainly looking--I'm sure I'd be in a home there in short order. The last time a home came on the market there that would have been perfect for me I just didn't do anything about it as I was reluctant to "cold call" the listing agent there (for lack of knowledge of anyone else to call), given the past disappointments I've had there with calling listing agents--and of course, that home was quickly snapped up by someone else. Pursuing anything there, as much as I'd love to live there, is something I need a little time to psych myself up to attempt again, but with low inventory, at least in my low price range, I'm finding that the slightest hesitation once a suitable home comes on the market means poof, it's gone.

So even though I do very well understand, and share, your frustration in general, there are some agents who are really, really helpful, and, in my experience, are willing to take time to answer questions and work very hard to match someone up with whatever are the best possibilities for that individual's needs and price range. In my opinion, this forum is a great place to connect with them.

Again, this is not to minimize the significance of your personal experience (as I've encountered similar, and I agree that it's very discouraging), but I really think someone could possibly wind up missing out on the best possible outcome for themselves by painting all (of any profession) with a broad brush and not realizing how much the exceptional ones can help.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times
Here's some helpful info on deed restrictions in the Tampa area. Like condo homeowner associations, there are good ones and bad ones. Love 'em or hate 'em, the article points out, as others have mentioned, that they seem to be a way of life in this state. Older communities would be where they might not be. I would sure look close at the details before buying anything, but even w/ deed restrictions, I know from owning condos (too many) that no matter what the home owner's associations may have down in writing, you're dealing w/ individuals, and they can be sticklers to the letter of the writing, or casual on that. I understand the idea behind many of the rules, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be enforced equitably.

So like all things, buyer beware is the theme. If I had a say in the matter, and I do, I like living w/o them, and prefer dealing w/ people myself rather than through a HOA if there is a problem. I also don't like other people telling me what to do. Unless someone is putting a roof over my head, food on my table, or keeping me warm at night, then what I do is nobody's business unless I am disturbing them, and generally I am a good neighbor and don't do that. It's better to let individuals run their own lives. There is way too much outside interference into our lives as it is, from far too many places, especially these days.

http://www.ccfj.net/HOAFLdeedrestr.1.html

Last edited by smarino; 09-06-2015 at 12:53 AM..

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

I think an important thing to understand for anyone thinking of buying a condo or home in an association is that some involve much greater financial and quality-of-life-issues risk than others. Research to find a community on a good trajectory (and some luck, if you buy, that it stays that way) is needed.

I agree with your point (a point that's for some reason often overlooked in conversations on this topic, and I don't understand why) that it's important to keep in mind that you're dealing with people, not just what's written on paper about the way things are supposed to work. I often hear stated that it's only those homeowners who choose not to follow the rules who ever have a problem or financial loss from their choice to buy into an association, but while some people have great experiences, these entirely positive experiences are not universal. (As just one example of what can go awry in some associations, do an Internet search on "Florida homeowners associations and condo associations and embezzlement.")

Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,025,987 times

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
I think an important thing to understand for anyone thinking of buying a condo or home in an association is that some involve much greater financial and quality-of-life-issues risk than others. Research to find a community on a good trajectory (and some luck, if you buy, that it stays that way) is needed.
Some being the key word. If it's a condo setting or one where they do all of the maintenance then I agree. That's why we liked Rotonda West. We take care of any and all areas of our home. We pay the taxes, maintenance, etc. The association's main responsibility is deed restriction enforcement. The yearly fees are very reasonable. There are no community pools, but that's a good thing in my mind. There is a new Community Center building going up, but that's being funded by the proceeds from the sale of the existing building. The property was donated by a very generous community member, etc, etc, etc.

So we have cheap yearly fees, some amenities, but the biggie is someone can't have a junkyard next door. Very pleased we moved here. Getting house colors etc "approved" is a simple and small price to pay for that. At least for us. As always: YMMV.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Yes, that was exactly my point, that you can't generalize; it's necessary to consider each association on its own merits.

I've owned two condos in the past. The first one, I should never have sold. The second, I should never have bought. Both involved living within an association, but there were huge, night-and-day differences between them in quality of life and whether each was a good idea from a financial perspective.

I think Rotonda West is beautiful, by the way. A few years ago, I drove through there a couple of times looking at the outside of homes that were for sale that I'd seen online. Even then, although there were some great values around (as was true throughout this area at the time), a home there would have been a stretch for me (and at the time, would have involved an almost two-hour commute each way). But I think I'd be very happy today if I'd stretched to get into a place there.

Congratulations on your new home--I understand why you love it there!

Last edited by City__Datarer; 09-07-2015 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,443 times
Thanks City___ sorry it was a stretch for ya. We're on the eastern side of the circle on a canal and lovin' it. (no fridges, monster trucks, or junk in the yards either. )

Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,840,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
I don't want customers who think having an opinion and expressing it eloquently is "maniacal".
How many customers would want a real estate agent who always thinks he's right and does not play well with others? No one.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 AM

809 posts, read 746,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Yes, that was exactly my point, that you can't generalize; it's necessary to consider each association on its own merits.

I've owned two condos in the past. The first one, I should never have sold. The second, I should never have bought. Both involved living within an association, but there were huge, night-and-day differences between them in quality of life and whether each was a good idea from a financial perspective.

:
Given your experience, can you share any advice on how to choose a good association? I really think I've had the worst possible experience, and that leads me to believe that any association can go bad.

And no, I'm not an armchair complainer. When my association got bad enough, I went door to door explaining the problem and got enough owners to support recalling the board. Then I served as treasurer and secretary for about three years. Unfortunately, the politics and self service never went away. In addition, my experience was that the various property managers were more interested in pleasing the board (who often didn't really understand how a condo is supposed to work) rather than "doing the right thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area