Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:57 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,452 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing their phones advertized and wondered if anyone had any experience with them and could offer opinions on the coverage areas and signal quality?

I have a "Smart" phone but I really don't use it much. I carry it for Emergencies and a once in a while call to SWMBO or a few texts here and there but that's about it. I'm currently using a Tracfone which runs me about $80/year but the Freedom Pop thing has 500 MB of data, 500 text messages, and 200 anytime voice minutes free every month for life which is more than I'd ever use so I was thinking about switchin'

Anyone use them? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:06 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Sorry, I have no advice on that. I checked my old thread here when I was looking for a new phone/service, and no one gave any input on that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...less-plan.html

Including this just for extra info for you. I ended up staying with Tracfone, and am very pleased. I bought the Moto E, and this is all the phone I need. When you buy the one year card (400 min talk, 400 text 400 data, they triple it (for life) so it is actually 1200 each. That plus the rollover of unused minutes makes it a terrific bargain for me, works out to $80 or so per year, as you said, I think that is hard to beat, especially with such good coverage and customer service.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks - Oh, I'm very familiar with the TracFone triple deal. I got one of the first "Smart" Phones they offered. - the LG39c with triple for life and it runs me the same $80/year which certainly isn't bad at all. I'm just thinking on switching to FP when this one dies and was doing some advanced research. FP has much more up-to-date phones than TracFone.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry, I have no advice on that. I checked my old thread here when I was looking for a new phone/service, and no one gave any input on that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...less-plan.html

Including this just for extra info for you. I ended up staying with Tracfone, and am very pleased. I bought the Moto E, and this is all the phone I need. When you buy the one year card (400 min talk, 400 text 400 data, they triple it (for life) so it is actually 1200 each. That plus the rollover of unused minutes makes it a terrific bargain for me, works out to $80 or so per year, as you said, I think that is hard to beat, especially with such good coverage and customer service.

Hope this helps.
I thought I was getting a super sized bargain, that's even better than what I've been paying and I'm never going to catch up with the minutes I roll over on each month as I too am not one who is glued to my phone. I signed up for their monthly plan, but sounds like the 400 minute card would save me some $45 more dollars a month, with taxes I pay about $11 monthly, my android/smarty pants phone does as much as I need it to do. I have the fuel and have learned to tweak it so it doesn't eat up my battery life when not in use like it used to, not it sits at 97% when not in use for up to 5 or more days. Someday I may think about upgrading, for now I haven't a need.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
I think freedom pop uses Sprint service.
Also wireless internet service but at 3G speed.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I think freedom pop uses Sprint service.
Also wireless internet service but at 3G speed.
Wireless internet, I could not care less about. I only care about phone and text for emergencies/once in a while. If I leave my phone at home - I don't really miss it. I'm not one of the people who constantly has it stuck to my ear or hand. I just want something that communicates when I need it to.

I realize that FP uses Sprint, but how's the coverage/reception?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I thought I was getting a super sized bargain, that's even better than what I've been paying and I'm never going to catch up with the minutes I roll over on each month as I too am not one who is glued to my phone. I signed up for their monthly plan, but sounds like the 400 minute card would save me some $45 more dollars a month, with taxes I pay about $11 monthly, my android/smarty pants phone does as much as I need it to do. I have the fuel and have learned to tweak it so it doesn't eat up my battery life when not in use like it used to, not it sits at 97% when not in use for up to 5 or more days. Someday I may think about upgrading, for now I haven't a need.
Yup, I too am not someone who is glued to my phone, just need it to make calls/texts, (and very few at that) check emails when I'm out. This android phone is all that I need, I love it. And the Verizon coverage is great. I have also always been very pleased with the customer service from Tracfone, I know that some of these budget wireless plans out there now have virtually NO customer service. I don't use the phone a lot, but I need to know I can depend on it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I am however very familiar with TracFone. I've had them for years.

Doesn't anyone out there have any experience with Freedom Pop?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I am however very familiar with TracFone. I've had them for years.

Doesn't anyone out there have any experience with Freedom Pop?
Doesn't look like it. Sometimes "free" isn't always the best option. And Tracfone is so cheap, why bother?

Anyway good luck, maybe someone else will chime in. I don't think I even got any comments on it in my thread I linked about cheap wireless plans. It doesn't seem to be popular. Maybe it's just not that dependable.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Doesn't look like it. Sometimes "free" isn't always the best option. And Tracfone is so cheap, why bother?

Anyway good luck, maybe someone else will chime in. I don't think I even got any comments on it in my thread I linked about cheap wireless plans. It doesn't seem to be popular. Maybe it's just not that dependable.
I hear ya, that's why I asked. I mean $80/year ain't gonna break me up but FP does have much more recent phones than TracFone. Hard to believe that no one has it... or maybe they don't wanna admit it?

That in itself says a lot I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area