Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 PM

81 posts, read 75,507 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any insight – appreciated.

I am posting this on city forums in both areas – moving from and moving to:

Moving from Fort Lauderdale area to the Sarasota area – approximately a 3-hour / 200 mile move.

I have heard & read so many moving horror stories – moving companies that hold your stuff hostage until you pay extra, uncaring & incompetent movers who damage / break furniture & goods, thievery, don’t show up on time, etc. etc. etc.

Through personal experience, can anyone recommend a moving company that is honest, reliable, caring, competent, reasonably priced, and one that you would have no reservations about recommending?

We plan on moving the breakables & valuables ourselves in a rented cargo van. The movers would be moving some furniture (not an entire houseful, as we sold some of it off) and the boxed & bagged non-breakable household items.

Ideally, & if possible, we would also need someone to take down and move a crystal chandelier, and disassemble & reassemble a coral electric fireplace – if within the scope of a mover’s ability to handle.

Any leads & recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
Two Men and a Truck. Excellent - no contractors, flat fee, your stuff is the ONLY stuff in the truck, on time and little if any damage.

Can you find cheaper? Probably, will you have problems? Probably.

They moved us from NY to Fl including my Baby ('03 Vette). I'd highly recommend.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
I'm with 03bluecoupe all the way... they did an AWESOME job for us... Riverview FL to Huntsville, AL
On time - clean - very professional -

Old 09-16-2015, 03:15 PM

251 posts, read 409,337 times
We normally use Two Men and a Truck and have received excellent service each time. One instance was our move from Orlando to Sarasota. We also used Stronger Movers for a short move within Sarasota/LWR and they were great too but I believe they are just local to Sarasota. Two Men are a bit pricier than others, but I love how they cover the repair of any damaged goods.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 PM

81 posts, read 75,507 times
Can I ask you folks approx. how much Two Men and a Truck charged you? - to get a base for comparison shopping, if needed? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtix View Post
Can I ask you folks approx. how much Two Men and a Truck charged you? - to get a base for comparison shopping, if needed? Thanks.
I would suppose that would depend on your content amounts and distance. They supplied all moving supplies; all of the boxes we wanted/needed, wrapping paper, and tape. Really nice heavy duty boxes. I think would have packed more but we did most of it but they wrapped all electronics in bubble wrap protection, wrapped and packed lamps, pictures, all furniture etc, took apart all beds Loaded. We didn't have to load any dressers, toolboxes, etc. Actually they recommended filling the cabinets, which we did.
We had a 26' truck jam packed full - which they loaded. Drove two days and met us at our new house exactly when they said they would. Unloaded everything, setup the bedding. They moved us 1500 miles. It cost us $7500 but that included some extra insurance. And again - that's a 1500 mile move and the driver had to fly back to NY from Fla, etc so if yours is a short move it'd probably be considerably less.

Could we have gotten it done cheaper? Sure. But moving is stressful enough without experiencing some of the horrible experiences that others have had with El Cheapo Deluxe movers.

TM&AT only uses their own employees, no sub contractors. Very professional. You know the price ahead of time, and that's the price, period.

If you wanna load and unload yourselves you could use someplace like PODS. Wasn't what we were after though. Heard some nasty stories about them though to with the containers arrival being delayed.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 AM

118 posts, read 182,341 times
We also used Two Men and a Truck to move from Raleigh to Bradenton in May. Very good experience. We were happy.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork for the cost. But it was competitive and the service was great.

Ruth

Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 AM

251 posts, read 409,337 times
They normally charge us $125 per hour for 3 guys plus travel time.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzais01 View Post
They normally charge us $125 per hour for 3 guys plus travel time.
Interesting, things must work different for local vs long-distance moves.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM

118 posts, read 182,341 times
I imagine they (Two Men and a Truck) do have a difference between local and long distance moving, since they do both. Our move was long distance so the cost was based on estimated weight plus mileage. Once the estimate was given, it was firm and the contract price. That was nice, as we added a few more items when we changed our minds on a couple bigger things. The same two guys loaded the truck one day, drove it down the second day, and then unloaded the truck the third day. We knew exactly what to expect on timing. That was great.

Ruth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area