U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2015, 04:56 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,144 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

My dh and I are about to separate and am thinking of moving down with my two children to Florida. Am thinking the Sarasota area for numerous reasons. First because my in laws stay in Bradenton for 7 months of the year and I'll be close to them., I also have relatives on my step fathers side who live in St. Petersburg and Orlando area. I'm fed up of Boston winters and want to live in a warmer climate. I know it gets really humid there but I'd prefer that over snow! Cheaper cost of living too. I know Sarasota has a good school system but what other areas are good for children within 45 mins of Bradenton?

Thanks for your comments
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 AM
 
11,115 posts, read 17,544,935 times
Reputation: 10118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle217 View Post
My dh and I are about to separate and am thinking of moving down with my two children to Florida. Am thinking the Sarasota area for numerous reasons. First because my in laws stay in Bradenton for 7 months of the year and I'll be close to them., I also have relatives on my step fathers side who live in St. Petersburg and Orlando area. I'm fed up of Boston winters and want to live in a warmer climate. I know it gets really humid there but I'd prefer that over snow! Cheaper cost of living too. I know Sarasota has a good school system but what other areas are good for children within 45 mins of Bradenton?

Thanks for your comments

Have you checked with your attorney about taking the children out of state? Especially at the distance you are considering. I know MA domestic relations laws are strict.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,144 times
Reputation: 20
He said he wasn't going to fight me on moving back to England so I can't imagine he would fight me going to Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 07:51 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 8,745,871 times
Reputation: 3707
The cost of living is not that low in Sarasota - it is lower than Boston but high for Florida.

A single woman will not like it here - it is mostly families and old people - I would try to go to Tampa or St. Pete for a good life for a single Mom.

This time of year it is almost impossible to get a decent rental because the snowbirds have arrived.

Sarasota does have good schools but I am sure there are other districts that are just as good in Tampa/St. Pete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 07:12 AM
 
6 posts, read 8,144 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
The cost of living is not that low in Sarasota - it is lower than Boston but high for Florida.

A single woman will not like it here - it is mostly families and old people - I would try to go to Tampa or St. Pete for a good life for a single Mom.

This time of year it is almost impossible to get a decent rental because the snowbirds have arrived.

Sarasota does have good schools but I am sure there are other districts that are just as good in Tampa/St. Pete.
Thank you Nancy....i wouldn't be thinking of moving till the end of next year there's still so much going on. It's just getting ideas and doing extensive research at present to get a feel if I want to move. I just know I hate the Massachusetts winters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 08:11 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
1,217 posts, read 1,029,991 times
Reputation: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle217 View Post
Thank you Nancy....i wouldn't be thinking of moving till the end of next year there's still so much going on. It's just getting ideas and doing extensive research at present to get a feel if I want to move. I just know I hate the Massachusetts winters.
It's always warm and sunny in Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 AM
 
11,115 posts, read 17,544,935 times
Reputation: 10118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
It's always warm and sunny in Florida.


FL is the exact opposite weather. From around May 1st to mid October, it feels like you're living in a pizza oven, except with 92 to 99% humidity. As I said in another thread, half the state evacuates FL north on Rts. 75 and 95 on May 1st. We get many of them here in mountains of NC.


Be careful what you wish for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,144 times
Reputation: 20
I know but I'd rather cope with humidity than 3ft of snow!! Also we usually travel to England for 7 weeks over the summer to see relatives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: South Florida
622 posts, read 829,265 times
Reputation: 850
Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Bradenton/Sarasota FL
638 posts, read 551,042 times
Reputation: 404
We are 41/42 and just moved from NJ, absolutelY love it. No kids but Bradenton personally is nicer than Sarasota if you're out by Lakewood Ranch

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top