Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,541,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
yea right I pay him a fortune !!!
Yeah man, we need to talk... I need a raise!

You have one on either Boundry or Rotunda Circle down from us toward Rot. Blvd North. I think it's on the circle, but I'm old and my memory's shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
That's 569 BOUNDARY Blvd

and its RotOnda dude...c'mon man :-)

Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
That's 569 BOUNDARY Blvd

and its RotOnda dude...c'mon man :-)
oops - my bad... you may flog me with pineapples. I absolutely deserve that one!

I know it's RotOnda... I live on it man.... just been a looooooong day. Fat fingers don't help at all either.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:11 AM

33 posts, read 32,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I don't know if you will ever get a true picture like this. I had a decent experience with Divosta, but my neighbor calls them crooks and liars. Don't make your decision on one grumpy man's opinion.
No truer words can be said. I closed on a DiVosta home in early October. They met every deadline they set and post-closing customer support has been very good in clearing up punch list items that was comprised of:
  1. Scratched toilet seat lid (replaced)
  2. 4 kitchen cabinet doors scratched/chipped - to be replaced next week
  3. Dishwaasher door didn't operate properly. Gave us the option of getting it repaired or replaced. DW being replaced next week
  4. Light switch to operate pool lights not hooked up properly - to be fixed next week
  5. rain gutters needed a tweak to prevent runoff from the roof landing right at the front door. Done

We have regular meetings with customer support and he is very proactive in reaching out to us. During the construction process itself we had three important meetings. One at the outset to go over everything that we had selected in terms of options and one pre-drywall where we went through the entire home with the construction manager and the pre-closing walkthrough where the Construction Manager and Customer Suport team were present. These meetings combined with regular postings of pictures during construction helped ease our anxiety since we were in NJ while the home was being built.

All in all it has been a positive experience, and much better then I expected

My guess is the other builders do something similar. We were seriously considering a home in a Neal community but the final choice came down to options in the home and the relative stage of completion of the community and amenities.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 37,934 times
Thanks! Good information.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:17 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mruane1953 View Post
No truer words can be said. I closed on a DiVosta home in early October. They met every deadline they set and post-closing customer support has been very good in clearing up punch list items that was comprised of:
[LIST=1][*]Scratched toilet seat lid (replaced)[*]4 kitchen cabinet doors scratched/chipped - to be replaced next week[*]Dishwaasher door didn't operate properly. Gave us the option of getting it repaired or replaced. DW being replaced next week[*]Light switch to operate pool lights not hooked up properly - to be fixed next week[*]rain gutters needed a tweak to prevent runoff from the roof landing right at the front door. Done[/LIST]
We have regular meetings with customer support and he is very proactive in reaching out to us. During the construction process itself we had three important meetings. One at the outset to go over everything that we had selected in terms of options and one pre-drywall where we went through the entire home with the construction manager and the pre-closing walkthrough where the Construction Manager and Customer Suport team were present. These meetings combined with regular postings of pictures during construction helped ease our anxiety since we were in NJ while the home was being built.

All in all it has been a positive experience, and much better then I expected

My guess is the other builders do something similar. We were seriously considering a home in a Neal community but the final choice came down to options in the home and the relative stage of completion of the community and amenities.

Good luck!
This was exactly my experience with Divosta. The items which we had trouble with were the cabinets and the refrigerator, both of which were not manufactured by Divosta. The warranty rep guy was good about getting the repair guys about here ASAP. I will say this....the kitchenaid appliances they offer seem to be sub-par. A couple of our neighbors took the very basic models when making their selections, sold those on Craigs list when they moved in, and got better quality appliances themselves.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
This was exactly my experience with Divosta. The items which we had trouble with were the cabinets and the refrigerator, both of which were not manufactured by Divosta. The warranty rep guy was good about getting the repair guys about here ASAP. I will say this....the kitchenaid appliances they offer seem to be sub-par. A couple of our neighbors took the very basic models when making their selections, sold those on Craigs list when they moved in, and got better quality appliances themselves.
In the 70's, Kitchenaid were top of the line. They've since fallen into the trap of so many. "Cheapen it up to sell in Lowes, HD, etc..." It's really sad but most of the public isn't really willing to spend for true quality equipment. But they expect the bargain sale crap to be top of the line stuff. Not. It may have the same name, but it's not the same stuff.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdsms View Post
I am curious as to what the members here think of the various builders and how they would rank them:
Neal
Taylor Morrison
Lennar
WCI
DiVosta

When you're talking builders ~ it would be best to specify if you're building golf course, canal, bayfront...

Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 AM

31 posts, read 37,934 times
Not looking to be on water.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
Difficult to rank as I would think that none of us have had that many houses in SW FL, or had a house built by each builder in your list...
Fwiw, We had a Lennar house built in Naples in 2005, lived there 'winter' seasonally from 2005 through 2013. It was well built and came with most of the stuff we wanted, then.

For past 2 winter seasons here in North Venice area, we live in a different golf community, this house built by WCI in late 2013, and they were not what we expected or were 'used to', having built several houses in different states over the past 4 decades.

Imo, it is all about the specs done by developer/builder, the level of quality subs the builder can get, the quality 'level' that is included in fixtures/finishes/appliances/HVAC et al, the optional levels of upgrades and that quality level vs pricing, and the warranty follow up.

The OP's list is composed of big name developer/builders, but it all works (or not), at the local on site build in my experience, combined with the competence of post build follow up.

Having GC'd a couple houses back in the day, good materials + good subs + quality oversight = a new house with fewer problems. Whether or not any on that last who are building in Sarasota/Venice area currently fill that ability is difficult for any of us to know, and it's all anecdotal.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area