U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM

87 posts, read 278,729 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was going to make a trip down to look at homes in the northern Manatee county (Palmetto, Parrish, Ellenton). There seems to be really good deals around Moccasin Wallow Rd both in Parrish and Palmetto. I checked out the crime for Manatee county and have read a lot of the remarks regarding gangs and most of it seems to centralized around us 41 in Palmetto and Bradenton. Does anyone have any experience in the northern Mantee area with the new buliders Ryland, Maronda, etc. There are some great buys on existing inventory homes from some of these builders. Also who has property without CDD's (that's another conversation in itself), safe areas, good buys, smart buys. Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,918,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarat View Post
Hi, I was going to make a trip down to look at homes in the northern Manatee county (Palmetto, Parrish, Ellenton). There seems to be really good deals around Moccasin Wallow Rd both in Parrish and Palmetto. I checked out the crime for Manatee county and have read a lot of the remarks regarding gangs and most of it seems to centralized around us 41 in Palmetto and Bradenton. Does anyone have any experience in the northern Mantee area with the new buliders Ryland, Maronda, etc. There are some great buys on existing inventory homes from some of these builders. Also who has property without CDD's (that's another conversation in itself), safe areas, good buys, smart buys. Thanks for your help.
palmetto is changing from a sleepy town to gang central----too bad as housing is affordable----

parrish and ellenton are fairly safe---con--traffic south on 75 can be brutal----
i would be careful with ryland homes---scan the archives of the bradenton herald on any of the home builders and check the fla west coast BBB

Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM

is gang central applied to all of Palmetto or just certain areas. Palmetto seems to conver a lot of area.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,918,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarat View Post
is gang central applied to all of Palmetto or just certain areas. Palmetto seems to conver a lot of area.
it's more towards the areas directly off rt 41,and 301----less in the downtown area------stay away from the projects or the small development west of 41---check the areas at nite----note the cars per home

there are some nice areas,but traveling at nite is risky----innocent people have been caught in drive bys

Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 AM

Good advice, thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM

233 posts, read 678,611 times
Default CDD vs. HOA (or both)

sugarat,

Ellenton and Parrish are pretty good areas. I would avoid Palmetto altogether. We live in Parrish and have really enjoyed it.

CDDs and HOAs are two entirely different things. Which one are you opposed to? In short, HOAs are simply associations which are responsible for the maintenance of the common areas and enforcement of the rules and regulations of the subdivision. A CDD (Community Development District) is where a development entity uses a bond from the local government to fund the building of the infrastructure. Therefore, in one location (such as Lakewood Ranch), you could pay both a HOA and CDD fee. CDD fees are added to your ad valorem tax bill each year. In some subdivisions, you will only have HOA fees.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Thanks PaulaC. CDD's are the thing we are trying to avoid. HOA's are fine and most of the time a helpful thing if you like living in a nice neighborhood. In your opinion, are there any areas/ developments/ builders in Parrish that are worth checking out (without CDD's preferrably)?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM

233 posts, read 678,611 times
Default Parrish

sugarat,

There are some homes available in the subdivision we are in, called Ancient Oaks. Mike Koontz built them and we are very happy with the quality and size of the lots. Neal Communities has a development in Parrish and Pat Neal has a very good reputation. I do not recommend Pulte Homes which is building in Harrison Ranch. That's just my opinion as I have lived here 37 years and have not heard anything good about Pulte. Anyway, most of the newer subdivisions here are HOAs, but generaly speakiing from what I have heard, the main area with CDDs is Lakewood Ranch. I am not aware of any of the subs in Parrish with a CDD. Someone else may know of something, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is to stay with newer construction (after 2002) due to insurance. My insurance this year was $696. Let me know if you need anything further.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM

4,845 posts, read 13,236,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
it's more towards the areas directly off rt 41,and 301----less in the downtown area------stay away from the projects or the small development west of 41---check the areas at nite----note the cars per home

there are some nice areas,but traveling at nite is risky----innocent people have been caught in drive bys
just check out newsmanatee.com and see what happened yesterday in Palmetto...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,902,164 times
My husband and I are in the same situation as you. We are really looking to Parrish. Lots of new homes exist with no CDD fees. They are newer areas, some gated. From what we know the area is growing, but stay far away from Palmetto. Parrish is very rural so don't anticipate much night life nearby, we are anticipating a more rural lifestyle but we are still investigating the area too. We cant seem to find much more we can afford in areas such as Sarasota or East Bradenton. If so, we can get much more house in Parrish..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area