Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

I'm losing my job as a factory supervisor and my wife and I are going to take advantage of the severance package and move to Florida. My wife works in law enforcement as a police officer. We visit Panama City Beach every summer and absolutely love it there.

The problem with the pan handle though seems to be job possibilities for me and the law enforcement folks make lower salaries there. I would like to know from any law enforcement officers living in the Sarasota and surrounding area how the job market is there for cops. What are the best areas to look for housing in the $250,000 range?

We are not looking for night life. We both love the beach and doing activities outdoors. Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
how bout the sarasota police department website.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Also try the Sarasota sheriff department, North Port police, Bradenton police, Manatee County sheriff department web sites. Those would be the local jurisdictions.

Jobs in FL, in general, will pay less than a similar job "up north." There are exceptions for certain fields. Bradenton/ Manatee county has some manufacturing but you will find pay scales are lower and you cannot take for granted that you will get a decent benefits package. Employers can get away with it because so many people come to FL looking for beaches, sunny weather -- and jobs.

Here's the catch 22 on jobs: many employers here will not consider you or will put your application at the bottom of the list if you are not already living in the area. It may be different for your wife's line of work.

Single family homes priced under $300k are in demand, especially if they are in well rated school districts. Lack of inventory and high demand have been driving up home prices over the past 5 years but especially the past 2 years. That being said, there are a number of neighborhoods that would fall within your specified price range, but it would be helpful to have more specifics of what you're looking for, rather than to post a long list of neighborhoods based on price alone.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
There are plenty of homes under $250K available. Whatever area you choose, get as close to the water as possible. You will always be competing against new construction in areas like Lakewood Ranch if you decide to sell later.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
There are plenty of homes under $250K available. Whatever area you choose, get as close to the water as possible. You will always be competing against new construction in areas like Lakewood Ranch if you decide to sell later.
I have to agree with this - especially for beach and water lovers. Future development (lack of planning) will eventually make places inland isolated from the water and beach due to the time element. If it takes 45 minutes to hit the beach you are less likely to!

Lots of sheriffs and police cars in the driveways in our area - Alta Vista, Paver Park, Arlington Park, etc - and less than 10 minutes from the Bay and 12-15 from Lido Beach.

Some decent homes selling for $200- $300 (for 300K you get all-new inside remodeled "flipped" houses almost perfect).

Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
This area has fantastic beaches, and lots of other things to do as well. You didn't say how big the house has to be, but if you do not need a McMansion you should be fine with your price range if you don't mind smaller and older. I agree with living somewhere easy to get to the water. I am in Whitfield Estates, for example, two blocks from the bay, and less than 15 minutes to Lido Beach most days. Maybe 30 minutes to other beaches in Manatee and Sarasota.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,674 times
Thank for your help!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
The entire state of Florida pays lower for most jobs.

I live in Nokomis and am 5 minutes from the beach - Venice and Nokomis has some affordable houses but if you want a lot of house the town of North Port is your best bet. Most beaches are about 30 minutes from North Port.

If you don't want nightlife - this entire area is perfect for you. Mostly retired folks and families - no real hot spots.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,068 times
I lived in Nokomis west of 41 for many years. Venice and Nokomis have plenty of homes under 300k and yes many ARE older. But there are also newer villas and condos, and you will find that the house is not as necessary as it may have been in a colder climate. If you like the beach, water, being outside--look for a house with a pool, and sacrifice on square footage to get newer kitchen and bathrooms, in my opinion. Nokomis and Venice have lots of great little restaurants and pubs without the traffic and congestion of Sarasota and Bradenton.

Good luck!
Kelley

Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
A good handful of cop cars in my neighborhood in North Port, too. Houses here are more affordable than what you'd find in Venice/Nokomis/Sarasota, and many are fairly new, too. My own neighborhood has pool homes under $200K and it's still pretty underdeveloped; most of the houses are 10/12 years old or so, it seems. We are 30 minutes from the beach, though; if you anticipate spending lots of time on the sand, you might do better with a more expensive community closer to the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area