Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 20,597 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I thought I posted in here already but I can't find it so I most have done something wrong!

I am hoping for sown help in narrowing down our search. I have two boys in elementary school. We are looking for areas that are safe and good to raise kids in. 3 bedroom for $2000 or less to rent and preferably within 30 min from the beach. My husband and I both work from home so we'll be bringing our jobs with us.

I initially looked at southern Florida on the west cost but it is just wayyyy out of my price range. I kneel this is a wide area without much restrictions so I'm sorry! I'm hoping you can help me hone in on areas I should dig deeper into. The people that live in the area are always the best resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
If you want a house, I think this area which has some of the highest housing costs in FL is likely to be a tough fit as well

Other people are likely better resources
And you can search this forum (top right side of main page) for RENTAL and get lots of threads

Old 12-31-2015, 09:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I think North Port is good for you - you can find a 3/2 house with pool to rent for that price. Most parts of NP are safe - Sarasota County Schools - try to get Toledo Blade or Cranberry Elementary area. 30 minutes to beach.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
North Port is a good option within your price range. It is located in southern Sarasota County in between Port Charlotte and Venice. It is 20-30 minutes to the beach depending on which section of North Port. The schools are good and there are activities and things for kids to do. It has shopping, restaurants, grocery stores and more. It is close to Port Charlotte for the mall and Venice for the beach.

Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools - Home
City of North Port - North Port, FL : Home

Old 01-01-2016, 12:05 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
For those moving to our area that consider school districts a top priority in finding a new home, I suggest checking out the Sarasota school website to help you pick out those that appeal to you, then search for neighborhoods in those particular school districts. Otherwise you may waste a lot of time checking out neighborhoods you wouldn't rent in because the schools aren't in line with your expectations.

Students in the cities of Sarasota, Venice and North Port attend Sarasota county schools.

The main website for Sarasota county schools is: Sarasota County Schools - Home

This site has links to each individual school within the district as well as all of the other important information for parents such as school ratings and test scores, school districts, new student enrollment, bus routes & schedules, gifted student programs, etc.

The site above does have a school locator feature where you can plug in an address and you will get all 3 current school districts for that address (elementary, middle & high schools).

Sarasota county has an open boundary policy regarding school choice -- students may apply to go to a school outside of their district assigned school, which is based on their legal domicile. New students to the county may participate in the school choice by completing an application prior to attending the "assigned" district school. Please note: admittance to a school is based on availability of seats and it not guaranteed that a student may attend the school of their choice.

Some schools have specific entrance criteria. For example, Pine View, which is a district wide school for gifted students in grades 2 - 12. There is also additional testing and requirements to enter the Sarasota County's gifted program:
Sarasota County Schools - Pupil Support Services

Sarasota also offers charter schools for parents seeking alternatives to traditional schools. These include Christian, Catholic, Montessori and Independent schools. You can contact the Sarasota school district via their website or call 927-9000 and speak with the charter schools contact person.

Of the state's 67 school districts, Sarasota County ranked second-highest in student performance in 2014. It is one of only 10 districts graded "A" by the Florida Department of Education.

As to where to search for rentals, Sarasota tends to be more expensive than North Port. But Sarasota offers more rental options/neighborhoods, public beaches, several malls, a downtown, access to sports and other things to do. Where to rent really depends on your family's lifestyle and priorities. There are a number of rental sites with listings, you can also try a public version of the local MLS for rentals at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS. You might also include in your search Venice, Osprey and Nokomis (last 2 are located just south of Sarasota & north of Venice).

Rental inventory is low at this point in time all along our coast, but especially now as we are heading into the winter "season." My suggestion would be to do research for the next few months on school districts and the general Sarasota area, then take a trip down after the winter snowbirds head back north (most are gone by May 1st) when short term rental and hotel/motel rates are lower, spend some time looking around and make your decision then.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 PM

Just a note - Sarasota does have school choice but the good schools fill up quickly and often do not even appear on the "School Choice" list

Old 01-03-2016, 09:15 AM

248 posts, read 534,984 times
Lakewood Ranch

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM

You can get a 3 bedroom home for rent in Lakewood Ranch for $2,000? Where?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:21 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
You can get a 3 bedroom home for rent in Lakewood Ranch for $2,000? Where?
Actually there are a few for rent in Central Park, more in Summerfield Village in that rental price range. Lakewood Ranch is a good suggestion as it offers well rated school districts, a number of public parks, walking trails, YMCA and special events throughout the year that are family friendly.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
North Port is a good option within your price range. It is located in southern Sarasota County in between Port Charlotte and Venice. It is 20-30 minutes to the beach depending on which section of North Port. The schools are good and there are activities and things for kids to do. It has shopping, restaurants, grocery stores and more. It is close to Port Charlotte for the mall and Venice for the beach.

Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools - Home
City of North Port - North Port, FL : Home
North Port 20 to 30 minutes from the beach? Laughable. Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area