Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times

Advertisements

Most of the stuff we've found- the Joshua, browns, farm market, yoders, etc. is all frozen and then allowed to thaw. It's not quite the same.

Does anyone have a local source where they actually squeeze oranges and don't freeze and store the stuff for long periods? Ideally I'd like to buy quarts but even reasonably priced pints, etc. would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,387 times
mixon groves in Manatee county. google it

Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,656 times
I had a post, somewhere, on just this very subject. The problem is that it has a very short shelf life, and the prices would be more than most people would like to pay. Why don't you just get yourself something like this

Cuisinart Citrus Juicer ccj 100 ccj 100C Stainless Steel | eBay

We have a much older model (has a heavy, bigger base too, which is better). I used it the first time a few days ago, and was so impressed w/ the difference in taste and texture between of the juice from it and all that crap in the stores that I went down to Walmart and bought a bunch of Florida Valencia oranges for cheap yesterday. You do go through quite a few oranges for just one glass, but it's sure worth it. A fair size bag of the oranges was just $5, and it looks to make 6-8 small glasses of juice or more. Nothing in the stores can compare. "Not from concentrate" is just a marketing term. That stuff has been heated to extreme temperatures so that it can stay in coolers a long time and loses a lot of nutritional value and taste.

Most fruit and vegetable juices are poor value for the money, with big losses in nutrition and fiber compared to eating the whole fruit or plant. But w/ one of these contraptions you still get lots of the pulp and fiber. Great if you have a compost going too.

Last edited by smarino; 02-24-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 08:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
The days of the local grove squeezing oranges for juice are gone. If you want fresh squeezed, buy a bag or a bunch of oranges at Publix and do it yourself. But it's going to be an expensive 4 oz of juice.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,003 times
Sun Harvest Citrus

Last time i was in Ft Myers they were makin fresh OJ onsite
They also have a fresh Strawberry-Orange juice that was delicious among other nice offerings.

Definetley check out if you are in the Ft. Myers area.
I have also seen "made in store juice" at some Publix.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The days of the local grove squeezing oranges for juice are gone. If you want fresh squeezed, buy a bag or a bunch of oranges at Publix and do it yourself. But it's going to be an expensive 4 oz of juice.
This ^^. I was buying some and hand squeezing, but the price isn't worth it.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Some possibilities:
Detwilers Farm Market (Sarasota, FL): Address, Phone Number, Specialty & Gift Shop Reviews - TripAdvisor
Detwiler's sells a brand called Joshua, which I have enjoyed many times...

Nokomis Groves Albee Farm Rd
https://www.nokomisgroves.com/
I haven't had any from this place yet, but some friends remarked about their fresh juice.

And, from a GOOG search:
Buy the juice! - Review of Albritton Fruit Company, Sarasota, FL - TripAdvisor

The real stuff, non-pasteurized, is remarkable: we have good friends that own/operate Conoley Farms and they bring us a couple gallons of their fresh squeezed a few times per year. Outstanding...
GL, mD

Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 AM

704 posts, read 771,351 times
We have purchased fresh squeezed OJ, the Joshua brand, from Detwilers and it is really good. There is no comparison to what you buy in the grocery store. I don't know about the other places or how it compares.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^. I was buying some and hand squeezing, but the price isn't worth it.
Get a cheap citrus juicer -- gets it to the last drop.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

892 posts, read 859,161 times
Look for a whole foods. Here in Miami Beach I go to the Whole Foods on 10th and Alton. Not only is the stuff, fresh it's not pasteurized which preserves the "I squeezed it myself taste".

I buy freshly squeezed orange, grapefruit, tangerine, and blood orange juice. Since Whole Foods is a chain, I'm sure your local Whole Foods has the same selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area