Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 9,258 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am a Creole business woman in finance that works from home, my husband is a landscaper, jack of all trades type. We have a five year old daughter. We are looking for an artsy community with some diversity and good green space. We would love to be close to the beach yet not in a flood zone, I would really love to rent instead of buy so would love some suggestions on which areas are best to rent.( thinking pool home as well��) Great public schools are a must but also tolerance for mixed race children and their back grounds. We make just under $100k combined. We will be moving from Ohio due to my SAD. Does anyone have any suggestions? I visited Sarasota for a client last year and completely fell in love, but now with all the talk on these forums, I am not so sure... I am thinking we may be too poor for the community!!!!Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
sorry, cant help you much since you did not share your house budget. You'd need at least a 2 br 1 bath rentals could be in the 1200+ areas and homes. as far as buying is concerned, I'd say mid 200's for a decent school district, a 10-15 year old home with hurricane abatements and hurricane proof construction.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:40 PM

Our house budget to rent would be 1200-1500 comfortably 😁Buying is not an option as we do not want to be locked in anywhere.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:42 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I would suggest the city of North Port which is about 25 minutes to beaches. North Port is more diverse and younger than the Venice area IMO while still in Sarasota County with good schools- A lot of Haitians and Russian immigrants in that area - thus diversity.

Rental homes are much cheaper in N.P. also - we had a nice 3 bedroom pool home in North Port for $1,300 a month. A good elementary school is Cranberry Elementary or Toledo Blade Elementary - I would try to get a rental in those areas.
Go to Great Schools website to see school ratings.

It is not that "artsy" in this area - some people think Sarasota is - but I disagree.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Look a little further south at Punta Gorda. Lots of galleries, etc.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Have you considered St Augustine... Smaller city with lots of history, right on the beach, sort of laid back. Public schools are rated top in the state. ( there are some places with St Augustine mailing address that are more Jacksonville suburbs) You would have Jacksonville nearby if you need larger city stuff, like airport, shopping etc. Orlando is close if you want to do the theme parks

Also consider some areas of Jacksonville, like Riverside/Avondale or the Jacksonville Beaches.

The winter in NE Florida is cooler, but compared to OH its downright balmy. Think October in Ohio, that would be the dead of winter in NE Florida.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,416 times
I think your budget will require you to be in Port Charlotte or North Port.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:47 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Englewood has a small art community and is a beach town. There are parts of the town not in a flood zone.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hello All,
I am a Creole business woman in finance that works from home, my husband is a landscaper, jack of all trades type. We have a five year old daughter. We are looking for an artsy community with some diversity and good green space. We would love to be close to the beach yet not in a flood zone, I would really love to rent instead of buy so would love some suggestions on which areas are best to rent.( thinking pool home as well��) Great public schools are a must but also tolerance for mixed race children and their back grounds. We make just under $100k combined. We will be moving from Ohio due to my SAD. Does anyone have any suggestions? I visited Sarasota for a client last year and completely fell in love, but now with all the talk on these forums, I am not so sure... I am thinking we may be too poor for the community!!!!Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Landscaping in the Sarasota area is crazy competitive and super cheap. I would plan on your husband's business suffering. As far as the jack of all trades, he could do very well as a contractor as soon as he gets licensed.

My sister only pays $25 a month to get her lawn mowed weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area