Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 25,359 times

Advertisements

Hi - noob question here from someone unfamiliar with alligators. I'm moving to Bradenton soon from North Alabama, and will be about 10 mins from Lake Manatee. The idea of getting some exercise using a paddle-board really appeals to me, especially so close to home, but I must admit that the idea of being in and around the water with gators is a concern. We have them up here in AL, but not anywhere you'd ever encounter them day to day so I just don't have any experience.

Is this a valid concern? Is this one of those situations that's perfectly fine with a few sensible precautions? Or a real cause for concern?

Thanks for the feedback - especially from anyone familiar with Lake Manatee itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
What the heck is, "SUP"?

Yes, you would get eaten if you did that. The gators in Florida are professionals.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I can't answer specifically for Lake Manatee but I can tell you that most bodies of water have the potential to hold gators (even retention ponds) so a large lake like that probably has lots, and probably large ones. Gators will avoid you, typically, unless people have been feeding them but even those that haven't been fed have been know to attack people in relatively rare occasions. I think you just have to accept the risk if you decide to go there. I've heard stories of gators coming up into boats and canoes so I'm sure it would be nothing for them to grab an ankle on a paddle board. Likely to happen...probably not. Real possibility...sure, it could happen. It's not like they aren't there, or that they know better.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:12 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Kayak or canoe, no problem...I would pass on the paddle board in any body of fresh water or non-salt water inlet near gulf. Out on the gulf in shallow water, yes to paddle board.

I agree that the gators I have seen are pros. If one of nearly any size gets a foot or hand, one is probably gonzo.
GL, mD

Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What the heck is, "SUP"?
Stand Up Paddleboard

Old 03-07-2016, 03:14 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Florida+Fresh Water=Aligators

The math is very simple.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Florida+Fresh Water=Aligators

The math is very simple.
Indeed. The question really is whether there is a real danger. Alabama + fresh water = water moccasins, but the chances of getting bitten are very minor.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
^^^That is really my point. We have water moccasins, too, btw. I don't know how you quantify the risk for any one place and activity. I suppose you could contact the FWC. They do have a pdf on their website that shows several years of stats and the overall number of attacks each year seems to run well under 20 events each year so it's not a high number given the size of the state and populations of people and gators. Of course, if you are one of those people who were attacked or killed, that is little consolation.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM

It comes down to probability in the end I guess. Sure attacks are rare, but if you go often enough to a risky spot and in a vulnerable craft then you run the risk of being one of the unlucky few. Perhaps a kayak is a better idea, or a longer drive to salt water.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM

This is pretty interesting - thanks for the tip. That's a very low bite rate considering it's the whole state: http://myfwc.com/media/310203/Alligator_GatorBites.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: