Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:29 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,918,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
As soon as my daughter graduates in 2018. She's going to college in Sarasota, FL. Unless she graduates early. Either way it's going to happen. I'm going to look into buying a house at that time also.
How many times have you moved to and from now? It's gotta be like 5 at least. Every time you hate the state you leave and once winter hits you love it again. 😳
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 18,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrysota View Post
Are you tired of the low pay? Are you tired of the old people giving you bad looks? Are you tired of having nothing to do besides go to a bar for the millionth time? Are you tired of seing fake people that drive porches while you barely have beer cash. Are you tired of living in a 10x12 room for $600 a month. Are you tired of the sun making your skin look like leather? Are you tired of the real estate people telling you its paradise. Are you tired of the cops harrasing you as you walk down the street at 11pm? Sound familiar??
You are 100% correct, it's a low wage area with very high cost of living, not a place to make money but to retire and enjoy the money made somewhere else.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM

643 posts, read 467,626 times
Sarasota is a very strange place. I have a condo I get 1300 a month for and its for sale. Not getting offers on it and we have come down. Not sure if the market is getting soft or if its just a bit of a lul. I think Sarasota is beautiful if you have the money to live in a nice area,nice beaches, once you visit the few places like Marie Selby, Ringling museum ect there is little to do and traffic is horrible. I like the couple of events through the year like thunder by the bay but even the 4th is getting so hard to find a parking spot and then to get out once the event is over I will most likely just go to Punta Gorda to watch. Florida has always been plastic banana phony baloney place. But that is what all tourist places are like and Fla is one giant tourist spot. Outside of the beach there is little of nature that is not swamp. In fact Fla. is one giant Swamp that we humans have reclaimed. Weather can not be beat in winter but summers suck. Sarasota is not really alone, I have been across Fla Miami, Daytona, Orlando are all the same really. There are some older towns the Mexicans have not taken over, Deland, Mt Dora to name a couple. But Sarasota is a very expensive place to live and if you want to live on or very near the water well that is a class all by itself. If you like it you like it if you don't you don't. I do not nor would I live in Sarasota, we only bought as an investment. So far its paid off even though the taxes and HOAs are very high. For us we will be moving back to the Mountains of the Midwest, cheaper to live and we like to ride Harley and Fla is not only the worst state safety wise to ride its the most boring. Some people love Tampa, its got some things I think are very interesting. We just stayed over night at the Vinoy hotel. Great history wonderful place, way to expensive though. If you don't like it here make plans to move, thats what we are working toward.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikitoperez View Post
You are 100% correct, it's a low wage area with very high cost of living, not a place to make money but to retire and enjoy the money made somewhere else.
That is fast becoming every where USA, problem is the other place you make money is where? Its disappearing.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Sarasota is a very strange place. I have a condo I get 1300 a month for and its for sale. Not getting offers on it and we have come down. Not sure if the market is getting soft or if its just a bit of a lul. I think Sarasota is beautiful if you have the money to live in a nice area,nice beaches, once you visit the few places like Marie Selby, Ringling museum ect there is little to do and traffic is horrible. I like the couple of events through the year like thunder by the bay but even the 4th is getting so hard to find a parking spot and then to get out once the event is over I will most likely just go to Punta Gorda to watch. Florida has always been plastic banana phony baloney place. But that is what all tourist places are like and Fla is one giant tourist spot. Outside of the beach there is little of nature that is not swamp. In fact Fla. is one giant Swamp that we humans have reclaimed. Weather can not be beat in winter but summers suck. Sarasota is not really alone, I have been across Fla Miami, Daytona, Orlando are all the same really. There are some older towns the Mexicans have not taken over, Deland, Mt Dora to name a couple. But Sarasota is a very expensive place to live and if you want to live on or very near the water well that is a class all by itself. If you like it you like it if you don't you don't. I do not nor would I live in Sarasota, we only bought as an investment. So far its paid off even though the taxes and HOAs are very high. For us we will be moving back to the Mountains of the Midwest, cheaper to live and we like to ride Harley and Fla is not only the worst state safety wise to ride its the most boring. Some people love Tampa, its got some things I think are very interesting. We just stayed over night at the Vinoy hotel. Great history wonderful place, way to expensive though. If you don't like it here make plans to move, thats what we are working toward.
Where midwest?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,462,376 times
You can make money as a government worker or government contractor in D.C. - not sure where else - maybe wall street

Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,730,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
How many times have you moved to and from now? It's gotta be like 5 at least. Every time you hate the state you leave and once winter hits you love it again. 😳
3 times in the past 10 yearsISH, and once in 1998. My daughter is going to school in Sarasota, so we are going there when she goes. Plus my wife's other daughter whom she reconnected with after 16 years lives and goes to college in Saint Leo, so that is another big reason. My reason? Screw winter and snow. I had enough of it finally.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
You can make money as a government worker or government contractor in D.C. - not sure where else - maybe wall street
DC is so out of the world of reality its incredible. I know this is what you meant by your post. Money flows when all else is sinking. I don't believe the numbers of how well the country is doing for a min. Sarasota has some very beautiful area if you have the money to afford to live there. Even then its not for me or everyone. Even if you live on St Armand key its nice but too crowded for my liking. As far as cities go its one of the nicest cities in Florida for its kind. Personally I prefer Mt. Dora more small town areas. I like the hills and mountains over flat land and beaches. Beaches and palm trees have an appeal but most of us can not afford a half million dollar 800 sf cottage near the beach.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 16,922 times
I have lived in central Florida for nearly thirty years. I understand how you feel.
The 'have's...elite, five percent.... are a special brand of Snobs, here in Florida.
It's very sad to have to serve people like that, eight hours a day. I do it myself .
Most of my hard working coworkers are on anxiety or depression medication.
We will be cleaning the store tonight..... while Mister and Mrs. Lexus or Porsche are down at Vero Beach, enjoying the sunset over their seafood dinner. Or stretched out on the deck of their in ground pool.
It's very sad. I get on my knees every morning and night, and ask the Higher Power to help me and my daughter have a better life.
Very sad. Peace to you; I understand.

Last edited by t ohanaspirit; 04-24-2016 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 04-25-2016, 12:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,462,376 times
t - but you must realize that Mr. and Mrs. Lotus might have been working like dogs their entire life to get the big house and the pool - don't you think they deserve it? Remember they are old and their body parts ache - they only have a couple years left to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area