U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM

331 posts, read 1,467,758 times

Advertisements

After carefully re-calculating everything again and agian, I'd figured that earning about 25K/year would be sufficient in my particular situation.

The question is if it's at all reasonable to expect to find a permanent job(a full-time or a couple of part-times) that pays such a salary. I've visited Sarasota on several occasions and by just considering an abundance of stores and banks in the area, I would expect that there are jobs associated with these establishments.

Obviously I've tried to conduct a job search over the internet and by actually visiting potential employers and employment agencies while in town. But everyone was intersted in "immediately available local candidates". When asking about my chances after I complete my move(late spring/early summer), the most optimistic response was - "things are really slow here now(even though it was 'snowbird season'), but things might change, so there could be something for you down the road".

Here's a bit about me to help you gauge my chances. I'm a 30 year old man, from suburban Chicago. My most recent job was a mainframe systems analyst for 3 years. Before that worked a back office(various bookkeeping/data entry/phone customer service) job at a bank for a year. Also had a year of shipping/receiving/mail room experience dating back some 12 years or so.

What worries me is that I have a 5.5-year gap in employment between the analyst job and now. Nothing peculiar about it though, simply could afford not work. Also, would I be deemed overqualified for a $12/hour job simply because my most recent job paid 54K/year? I don't have a college degree though, will it balance out the salary issue?

Also a question for those familiar with employment practices at Publix, Sweetbay, Albertson's or other grocery stores. When they hire bakers, do they require for a candidate to have some sort of certificate? The reason I ask is beacuse baking(both yeast bread and cakes) is one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm accomplished enough to just walk in and do a good job right away. But unfortunately I don't have any paperwork showing any "official" education.

Last edited by outsider1; 02-10-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM

50 posts, read 193,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post

Also a question for those familiar with employment practices at Publix, Sweetbay, Albertson's or other grocery stores. When they hire bakers, do they require for a candidate to have some sort of certificate? The reason I ask is beacuse baking(both yeast bread and cakes) is one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm accomplished enough to just walk in and do a good job right away. But unfortunately I don't have any paperwork showing any "official" education.
I can't answer all of your questions but I may be able to help with this one. My husband is interested in the possibility of working with Publix so we've made ourselves familiar with the Publix website (LOTS of helpful information there). This link in particular will help answer some questions about qualifications in their bakeries.: Publix Careers - Store Non-management Job Descriptions (http://www.publix.com/careers/opportunities/groups/Stores/NonManagement/JobDescriptions.do - broken link)

Publix's application process is also on their website. Couldn't hurt to just give it a shot. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Keelybella,
You can apply on-line for the store management and corporate positions. I think they also post those on hotjobs.com.

For anything assistant dept. manager and below you would need to visit a specific store and fill out an application on their internal computer. Actually, I tried doing this during my last visit. But the fellow said it won't make much sense until I finally become one of the "local candidates".

As for their bakery, he didn't give a definite answer. Just said that whether a candidate is certified or not depends on the store's specific needs at the moment when they are hiring. The website doesn't specify it either.

Based on what I've heard about Publix as well as Sweetbay, they are interested in people with extensive supermarket management experience who are relocating to FL. The catch is that they offer you a position a step lower than the one you had back north. For them it results in a great overall quality of management. So in your husband's case he would probably have a good chance of landing a job with them, if he's willing to take a small step down in the process.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,088,075 times
Degree? Certifications? Recommendations?

Most of the assistant managers at fast food places start at $25K. Can the company that you work as a mainframe analyst do some benchmarking for you?

Publix is a choice, some banks might have better pay. You very close to the Tampa area, many contractor jobs in the area and the pay is over $50K. Just got to do your homework and your previous employer might help by recommending you for a job. Do to the multitude of individuals looking for a job, is easier if someone that know you can plants the seed for the interview.

Found a few jobs, but you need to network and get an inside connection...

Best of luck...
mainframe systems analyst Jobs in sarasota Florida | Monster.com

Here's a bit about me to help you gauge my chances. I'm a 30 year old man, from suburban Chicago. My most recent job was a mainframe systems analyst for 3 years. Before that worked a back office(various bookkeeping/data entry/phone customer service) job at a bank for a year. Also had a year of shipping/receiving/mail room experience dating back some 12 years or so.

What worries me is that I have a 5.5-year gap in employment between the analyst job and now. Nothing peculiar about it though, simply could afford not work. Also, would I be deemed overqualified for a $12/hour job simply because my most recent job paid 54K/year? I don't have a college degree though, will it balance out the salary issue?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 PM

50 posts, read 193,909 times
Thanks Outsider1! And thanks for passing along what info you had heard about Sweetbay and Publix. We don't have either store in our area (closest is a Publix in Chattanooga, Atlanta or Nashville). But we had heard - or maybe just inferred through what we've learned - that it was difficult to get on with Publix until you live in the area you want to work. I'm hoping we are wrong with that assumption, though. Because we could never move until he secured employment first.

In Knoxville, our major supermarkets are Food City and Kroger. Neither seems to have clear cut qualifications listed anywhere either. My mother worked in a bakery department for Food City for a while. I can tell you that they required experience but not certification. It was more like a knowledge of baking/cooking and some experience working with food. In fact, they had offered to train my mother as a cake decorator without any previous experience after only 1 month on the job. So maybe it's just a matter of proving in an interview your knowledge to get your foot in the door? Then once on the job, apply to move up? I can gather from Publix's website that they are growing their bakeries significatly (even from where they are now) and are in need for that department. I would go for it, certification or not!

The company my husband works for also requires a bit of experience for the Deli/Bakery. But not much. They value their on-the-job training so if you can get in the door, they'll work with you. Then based on your performance and time on the job, they'll promote you. As far as dept. assistants or mgrs., they do require more extensive experience/time on the job.

Publix seems to be structured differently from the company my husband works for currently. He wouldn't mind starting in a department mgr. position, which would be just below his current assistant store mgr. position now (salary balances with Publix). I think he just wants more information before doing anything.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Keelybella,
Here's Sweetbay's employment page:
Careers - Sweetbay Supermarket
Within this page they also provide a link to careerbuilder.com where they advertise their jobs. Managers can apply on-line either through careerbuilder's link or to careercenter@sweetbaysupermarket.com
I think that I saw their posting for an assistant store manager in Sarasota and a deli manager in Venice quite recently.

As for Publix, to be considered for Sarasota area managerial jobs he would need to send his resume to mercedes.kosbab@publix.com
It is harder to get into Publix through. It seems that because SW FL jobs are few and far between, Publix is one of the cream of the crop places to work for, so employees hold on to those jobs for dear life.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:24 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,773,574 times
Quote:
After carefully re-calculating everything again and agian, I'd figured that earning about 25K/year would be sufficient in my particular situation.

The question is if it's at all reasonable to expect to find a permanent job(a full-time or a couple of part-times) that pays such a salary. I've visited Sarasota on several occasions and by just considering an abundance of stores and banks in the area, I would expect that there are jobs associated with these establishments.

Obviously I've tried to conduct a job search over the internet and by actually visiting potential employers and employment agencies while in town. But everyone was intersted in "immediately available local candidates". When asking about my chances after I complete my move(late spring/early summer), the most optimistic response was - "things are really slow here now(even though it was 'snowbird season'), but things might change, so there could be something for you down the road".

I can't answer all your questions either, but I can tell you about Publix. The need in the bakery is constant. The need for asst bakery managers and bakery managers is great! They will hire you if bakery is your interest. You will have to start out as a baker or decorator and you don't need a certificate, but experience is important if you want to get hired fulltime right off the street. You may be asked to decorate a cake to show you know what you are doing. At any rate, after 6 months fulltime as a baker or decorator you can apply for an asst bakery manager. The benefits are really good. Health, dental, vision and prescription will cost you about $18 a week for a single person. It goes up from there if you have a family. You get 2 weeks paid vacation (goes up to 4 with time) 2 weeks pay at christmas, stock just for showing up to work (free) you can also purchase stock and a 401k which publix contributes to in stock.You also get quartely bonus's also 8 sick days a year which rollover and accumilate. As a decorator (depending on location in Florida) you can make up to $13.50 to $14.29 an hour. Same for baker. As an asst bakery manager you can make around $42k or more depending on location. Bakery managers make anywhere from $50k to $70k (again depending on location). The work week for managers is 50 hours plus. Usually around 54 to 54 if the store is a busy one.

Like I said, the need for the bakery is widespread and urgent. You have a great chance of getting in.

If I can answer anything else for you let me know.
I live in TN now, transferred with Publix but I worked with them in Florida for 20 years.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 AM

Kim,
Thank you very much for a very descriptive and detailed post! Very helpful and feels encouraging!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,773,574 times
Quote:
Kim,
Thank you very much for a very descriptive and detailed post! Very helpful and feels encouraging!
You're quite welcome! I noticed I wrote managers work week was 54 to 54! haha! typo. I meant 52-54 if the store is a busy one.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,088,075 times
Quote:

What is the latest in your search?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area