Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,702,943 times

Advertisements

I have a three day weekend this weekend, so I decided to get away from the hustle of Miami to somewhere a bit more peaceful, so I booked an AirBnb in Sarasota. It's one mile from Siesta key and comes with a bike, so I plan on biking around a lot and just taking in the sites and vibe of a less populated area...

Anything I should absolutely not miss while in Sarasota? I know the beaches are top-notch, however what else? I plan on beaching it one day and perhaps doing a bit of exploring or doing something that is unique to Sarasota. Any suggestions? I'm willing to drive a half hour or so outside the area if it's worth it, but what does one typically do when they're not lying on the beach? Paddle board/Kayak/etc... I can do all that here in Miami. Any beautiful parks I should go to? Shops? Restaurant? Entertainment? Shows? Sites? nature walks? guided tours? anything?

I appreciate anyone responding.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 2,107 times
Hello. I also live in Miami, but I am retiring in June. I bought a house in Venice area, so I have been doing some exploring. One park that we liked was the Myakka River State Park. It has several nature trials, and a boat ride. The day we were there it was too windy for the boat ride and part of the trails were flooded, so we are planning to go back.

There also several museums on the area, the only one that I have visited is the Salvador Dali museum.Which I recommend.

The area is a beautiful area, with a lot of things to do. I can wait to move permanently so I can do some more exploring.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I have a three day weekend this weekend, so I decided to get away from the hustle of Miami to somewhere a bit more peaceful, so I booked an AirBnb in Sarasota. It's one mile from Siesta key and comes with a bike, so I plan on biking around a lot and just taking in the sites and vibe of a less populated area...

Anything I should absolutely not miss while in Sarasota? I know the beaches are top-notch, however what else? I plan on beaching it one day and perhaps doing a bit of exploring or doing something that is unique to Sarasota. Any suggestions? I'm willing to drive a half hour or so outside the area if it's worth it, but what does one typically do when they're not lying on the beach? Paddle board/Kayak/etc... I can do all that here in Miami. Any beautiful parks I should go to? Shops? Restaurant? Entertainment? Shows? Sites? nature walks? guided tours? anything?

I appreciate anyone responding.

Cheers
Have you been to Selby Botanical Gardens and/or Ringling Museum? You could do both in one day, Selby is downtown, and Ringling on the North Trail. I highly recommend. There are a number of theaters here also with live shows in or near downtown. Downtown itself is small, but has a lot of neat places to check out.

There is so much going on here I just can't list it all. A couple of our realtors usually have a long list of things to do in the area, so perhaps they will chime in.

Have fun!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:07 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
Mote Marine and Jungle Gardens are two of my favorite places. In addition, you could go out to Lido Key and do a kayak tour of the Mangrove tunnels. Thats always a cool way to spend the afternoon

Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,690,371 times
the ringling museum has a magnificent circus exhibit and this saturday happens to be free admission to the museum, which is usually aaround $25, I think. Fascinating diorama.
there's a great art sale this weekend downtown.

i think you should access online the TICKET section of the Herald Tribune for lots more options.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Have you been to Selby Botanical Gardens and/or Ringling Museum? You could do both in one day, Selby is downtown, and Ringling on the North Trail. I highly recommend. There are a number of theaters here also with live shows in or near downtown. Downtown itself is small, but has a lot of neat places to check out.

There is so much going on here I just can't list it all. A couple of our realtors usually have a long list of things to do in the area, so perhaps they will chime in.

Have fun!
No, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll actually plan to do the botanical gardens thing. If the weather is no good, I'll probably end up doing the museum, but I'm itching to be outside as much as possible on my short visit. I'm couped up all day in an office during the week that I wanna be outside in the sun, amongst the trees and nature.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Ana Maria island? Is it worth the drive? What about Boca Grande? Neat area or what?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll actually plan to do the botanical gardens thing. If the weather is no good, I'll probably end up doing the museum, but I'm itching to be outside as much as possible on my short visit. I'm couped up all day in an office during the week that I wanna be outside in the sun, amongst the trees and nature.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Ana Maria island? Is it worth the drive? What about Boca Grande? Neat area or what?
Anna Maria is definitely worth the drive. Especially if you want a complete change of scene from Miami, or SE FL in general. Most of Anna Maria is very much "old Florida" and has a wondeful relaxed vibe with many beachfront bars and restaurants. If it is nice weather, you should definitely go!

Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
If you want to be outside, you could beach it, hang out at an outside bar or restaurant, go for a bike ride but I agree with SoFLGal that the best thing to do is to rent a *** and go paddling. It can be as relaxing or as active as you want it to be and it is located right around the corner (literally) from a somewhat unique beach (Lido) for our area. It gets busy eventually but it is pretty easy to get into earlier.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anna Maria is definitely worth the drive. Especially if you want a complete change of scene from Miami, or SE FL in general. Most of Anna Maria is very much "old Florida" and has a wondeful relaxed vibe with many beachfront bars and restaurants. If it is nice weather, you should definitely go!
Yeah, I'm actually looking to get a complete opposite-of-Miami experience.
Nature, beaches, trails, sun, relaxation, instagram pics (jk), beauty, coconuts, etc

Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
If you want to be outside, you could beach it, hang out at an outside bar or restaurant, go for a bike ride but I agree with SoFLGal that the best thing to do is to rent a *** and go paddling. It can be as relaxing or as active as you want it to be and it is located right around the corner (literally) from a somewhat unique beach (Lido) for our area. It gets busy eventually but it is pretty easy to get into earlier.
I'm not trying to get around any rules or anything but just wondering why the short term for kayak which is also the proper name for an animal was deleted? Obviously, it must have some other meaning that automatically causes a deletion but I've never heard it, at least as far as I can recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area