Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 46,268 times

Advertisements

This is just a rant/vent over being frustrated in poor listing descriptions! Don't call something (house, bathroom, kitchen, etc) updated if is more than 5+ years old! Don't say move in ready when the furniture and fixtures are 30+ years old and items have been neglected. And lastly, don't have an "as-is" attitude/respnonse to buyer questions if you are not going to put in the list sold "as-is". If you are selling the property as is, state it in the listing. Unrealistic real estate descriptions are inefficient and create wasted time.

I do not understand misrepresentation in attempting to sell a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Well - I agree with most of your post but - if the home is 30 years old I would say 5 years old fixtures would be considered updated.

We all know the buzzwords - cottage=terribly tiny, close to everything=congested and ugly, up and coming neighborhood=bad area - its all BS anyway

Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
most sales are listed as is because they are as is unless you negotiate repairs or price discounts because of defects or whatever.

Also, don't bother with any listings that don't have a full set of pictures included.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM

707 posts, read 1,052,159 times
I am with you on this one. Especially a listing that has 1 photo on the first day it's on the market. Take a full set of pictures while you hire a photographer.

"Well maintained"= no updates
"Cozy"= cluttered and small

Most Realtors can't describe themselves on their own websites.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
In Englewood (full of old unrenovated homes) I've seen many listings with less that glowing descriptions. Probably so the agent doesn't waste their own time showing a down-at-heels property unless the lookyloo knows in advance this is not "move in ready".

dpbarr started the game of "what this description really means" let's continue it lol.

Old Florida charm=no air-conditioning
small=you can't get out of bed if the bedroom door is open
colorful=horrible paint job
centrally located=lots of traffic
[b]mother-in-law apartment=illegal rental possibility

Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
rustic = falling down
vintage = old and outdated
unique = hard to sell
peaceful = next to cemetary

Old 04-16-2016, 07:32 PM

47 posts, read 46,268 times
Love the key/de-coder on the descriptions - pretty spot on! On my original note I didn't mean to imply that with in the last 5 years wasn't update, just that anything over 5+ years is no longer considered updated. Roof is the exception. So many we have seen say recent updates and we look around and can't find them. To me granite isn't an update, it has become pretty standard. As for the As-Is, it was the attitude to any of our questions - such as a room had panels yet the rest of the house was dry wall, the electrical was exposed with conduit and not hidden like the rest of the house so it seemed to be an add on/conversion space and we asked when and if permits were pulled, they didn't want to answer and said "as-is". I get that anything that comes up during inspections is typically remedy by seller or a price reduction is agreed upon.

It is a PITA process for sure!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjka View Post
Love the key/de-coder on the descriptions - pretty spot on! On my original note I didn't mean to imply that with in the last 5 years wasn't update, just that anything over 5+ years is no longer considered updated. Roof is the exception. So many we have seen say recent updates and we look around and can't find them. To me granite isn't an update, it has become pretty standard. As for the As-Is, it was the attitude to any of our questions - such as a room had panels yet the rest of the house was dry wall, the electrical was exposed with conduit and not hidden like the rest of the house so it seemed to be an add on/conversion space and we asked when and if permits were pulled, they didn't want to answer and said "as-is". I get that anything that comes up during inspections is typically remedy by seller or a price reduction is agreed upon.

It is a PITA process for sure!
Don't count on it. Sometime a house is priced with reductions already in place. Or not.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:15 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Updated kitchen equals new knobs on the drawers.

Honestly, it is 'puffery'. It is the agents job to put the home in its best light. As with anything, buyer beware

Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Updated kitchen equals new knobs on the drawers.

Honestly, it is 'puffery'. It is the agents job to put the home in its best light. As with anything, buyer beware
Well, marketing is marketing but REALTORS® have an ethical obligation not to over-puff.
Per our Code of Ethics:
Article 12
REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area