U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 31,327 times

Advertisements

hi all, i am a newbie to this site, my wife and i live in st.pete and currently we rent, we have been house hunting around palmetto/parrish/ellenton area. we like the prices for new construction versus st.pete(love st.pete not the prices, although they have improved) my wife refuses to pay top dollar for a 1950"s house which has a tiny kitchen, old bath room and lord knows what lurks inside the walls/plumbing. etc. we have looked at and liked harrison ranch but are concerned about the cdd fees, does anyone know how long these are projected to be paid? any good websites for manatee county data/info? the prices have come down and we found a model we love, but not having kids do we really want to pay for a fancy pool/clubhouse? any info much appreciated. thx all have a good one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,900,023 times
Paying a CDD fee doesnt mean you're paying for a clubhouse and pool. That would be a HOA fee. A CDD is a Community Development District where you pay an additional fee or "tax" to fund the development of the community. I would never EVER buy in a CDD there are a lot of hidden red flags that don't arise until its too late, such as frequent increases and intervals. If you type in "Community Development Districts in Florida" in Google, it will pull up some very interesting articles that give more details..HOA fee's are pretty common in newer neighborhoods and allow for deed restrictions and upkeep of property, so thats a plus. Im also looking into Parrish, we love the rural setting and bigger and cheaper than anywhere in the Sarasota area. You didn't mention if you have children but the elementary schools are great out that direction. Hope this helped

Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM

233 posts, read 678,248 times
Default Harrison Ranch

NewFLGal is correct in the difference between a CDD fee and HOA fee. Either way, be sure you get all the information before doing anything. They MUST give you copies of the documents. CDD fees are actually paid on your tax bill. The length of time to be paid depends on the bond purchased to fund the infrastructure.

However, as I have previously posted on this forum, do your research on the builder at Harrison Ranch. It is Pulte and they do not have a good reputation. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is quality. There are homes available in the Parrish area that are better quality. Just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Yep, and also, be sure the developer is stable-- otherwise they could go bankrupt and stick the community with even more..Basically, your funding the development for area growth, saves the county a lot of money-- but that's not something I want to have to pay!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Default cdd/hoa

thank you for your input. it is mostly the cdd fee we are worried about, the hoa is relatively low, we have family in kissimmee who pay about the same although they do have a school right on their door step, i will look into pulte more, we also are considering ryland homes. and morrison. we really like morrison, just trying to find a community with the right location/ low crime etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Default pulte

we do need to research the builder esp in this sluggish economy,.pulte scores very high on jd powers for a few years that is a good bench mark..

However, as I have previously posted on this forum, do your research on the builder at Harrison Ranch. It is Pulte and they do not have a good reputation. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is quality. There are homes available in the Parrish area that are better quality. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Pulte

You may want to check this out: The Pulte Homes Experience

Try a google search. I was recently told that at one time, Pulte was banned from building in Michigan for 10 years. I don't have verification on that, but I'm sure it could be researched.

Morrison Homes seem to be pretty nice. The homes in Parrish are right on top of one another, though. If that's OK with you, they would be the better choice for a builder.

Either way, I believe you would like the Parrish area!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Yes, I agree, Parrish seems to be so popular yet so little is known about it. Hehe PaulaC and I are turning into walking advertisements for the town! It's growing and it's close to 75 and 301; easy access to Sarasota and Tampa. If you can find a great home with a fence, who cares how close you are to your neighbors. Unless of course you get next to the bickersons! In all cases though, don't you want to investigate your neighbors a little anyway before you buy? I always do, this day in age it's important to know your neighbors! Sooo Pulte, not so great huh? Any ideas which subdivisions have Pulte homes? or subdivisions that are especially nice?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Parrish Subdivisions

The only one I know of is Harrison Ranch. I do not know if Pulte is building in other areas of Manatee or Sarasota County.

I've always liked Pat Neal as a builder. He has been around many years and provides a quality product. I believe he is building in Forrest Creek. Also, there are some resale homes in Ancient Oaks. The lots are larger and there were different builders, so I wouldn't be able to comment on each home for sale. Morrison isn't bad. Their sub is Aberdeen (sp), next to Albertson's.

I know we are getting a new butcher shop that will be opening in a couple of weeks. I can't wait for that. Parrish can use a little more variety!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM

18 posts, read 73,575 times
Be sure to investigate the deductibility of the CDD on your federal taxes. I am visiting the area to check on homes and jobs. At one location I visited they gave me a breakdown on the CDD fees and the HOA fees. The CDD was part long term debt and part maintenance. The long term debt may be deductible; I need to look in the tax code when I get home. However, I am fairly certain the maintenance aspect is not deductible. HOA fees are not deductible and are generally for maintenance and insurance of public areas within a community. (The property I looked at used the HOA fees for administrative and insurance purposes, as well as basic cable.) I believe the maintenance portion of the CDD would be treated the same. It may be included in your tax bill, but my guess is it is more of a way to enforce payment.

Have any other tax professionals researched the deductibility? If so what did you find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area