Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 74,906 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are a couple in our mid 40's with two elementary school kids currently in Baltimore looking to finally move south and we've narrowed it down to Sarasota county. My mom, a retiree, is looking to come with and would be our live in nanny. I found a home in the Paddocks and want to know more about the area/neighborhood/schools.

I see the ES and MS are rated well and Sarasota High a '6'. Should that concern me?

How safe are those neighborhoods? I want a place where my kids can ride their bikes, play catch in the street, and not worry about thru traffic.

I want to be somewhat (30 mins) close to beach, but not deal with too much tourist traffic (not sure that's possible)

I would like shopping to be somewhat close (within a few miles).

How is downtown Sarasota itself? Restaurant scene? Bar scene (for date nights)?

My husband is an avid golfer and I like tennis. What would our options be for a country club well rated for golf but has tennis as well?

Also, typically, how many months of the year do Floridians swim in the gulf? How many months could I expect typical summer like weather?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
I see the ES and MS are rated well and Sarasota High a '6'. Should that concern me?

Where are you looking at ratings? One of the best sources for Sarasota county school info is the school district website.

How safe are those neighborhoods? I want a place where my kids can ride their bikes, play catch in the street, and not worry about thru traffic.

As a real estate agent I cannot comment on this question because of fair housing regulations, would suggest trying one of the various crime mapping sites (city-data also offers the feature). The Paddocks is not known for cul-de-sacs, would not recommend letting little ones play in the streets.

I want to be somewhat (30 mins) close to beach, but not deal with too much tourist traffic (not sure that's possible)

Sarasota is a metro area of between 250,000 - 300,000, depending on which report you read. So there will be traffic. Your main route from The Paddocks to the beaches is either Bee Ridge or Clark Rd, both are 6 lane roads and very busy.

I would like shopping to be somewhat close (within a few miles).

What type of shopping? There are retail strip centers within about 5 - 10 minutes of just about any neighborhood in the area. The 3 main shopping malls are south, north and east of The Paddocks, with University Town Center to the north probably being the closest access, go north on Cattlemen Rd. For more unique stores you would have to try downtown Sarasota or perhaps St. Armands Circle.

How is downtown Sarasota itself? Restaurant scene? Bar scene (for date nights)?

Downtown Sarasota Florida Sarasota - Main Street Sarasota Hotels Vacations and Accommodations

Sarasota, Florida - Destination Main Streets - Shopping, Dining, Events, and Attractions

My husband is an avid golfer and I like tennis. What would our options be for a country club well rated for golf but has tennis as well?

Your husband will have many options for playing golf.

Sarasota/Bradenton Golf: Sarasota/Bradenton golf courses, ratings and reviews | Golf Advisor

There are a number of country clubs you can join that offer both golf and tennis, to name a few: Palm Aire, The Meadows, Bent Tree, Laurel Oak. Many of the private country clubs offer at least one course open to the public.

Here's one of the many options for tennis: Home : Sarasota Sports Club

Also, typically, how many months of the year do Floridians swim in the gulf? How many months could I expect typical summer like weather?

Some Floridians swim all year round, I personally stay out of the water once it drops below about 75 degrees. So typically I don't swim Jan, Feb, parts of Dec and March. There are a number of sites that will give you month by month temps, etc. Our coldest month is January, but it's all relative. Many times I am wearing a sweater in January while those visiting from "up north" are walking around in shorts & short sleeved shirts. Rarely do I have to drag out my one heavy winter coat, and if I do, it's only for a couple of nights before it generally warms up again.

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 05-18-2016 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area