Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

As said above, Florida is different. A massive amount of real estate, cars and even yachts are sold to older folks.

I would agree this may not be the case elsewhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
A quick search of the tax records shows only 838 property owners with a mailing address of the United Kingdom, so not a significant number of British property owners in our area.

By far the largest majority of foreign owners in our area are Canadian.
Many foreign based owners of FL and USA property actually use the address of the managing company and not their local one.

And those wishing to own the property without the world and its mother knowing so , do this as a matter of course.

in short if you see only 800, the real number is a multiple of that.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMemeFemme View Post
[/b]

As a Wall Streeter and capital markets professional, I find this laughable, only the retail small investor believes in buy and hold for the "long haul". That world changed about 27-35 years ago.
buy and hold long term has served me vastly better than listening to fools who want me to trade daily.. so I know you are wrong. I feel sorry for you wall street kids that think you have market smarts cornered. I find good buys , buy them and keep them for many years. I also buy a little sell a little to profit from trends, but that is just my "fun money"

Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 PM

FL is a retirement state , well parts of it are.

As such it attracts people from many areas and of course mostly those who can afford the costs incurred..

So YES old folk do impact property in FL.

I would add FL is also home to a lot of rubbish RE , bad deals and fleeced old people. The RE industry in FL is big because both young and old very often find it was not what they hoped and end up selling much sooner than average.

Oh, and what was this thread about ????

Old 07-09-2016, 03:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
Wow, you probably think a 401k is a great retirement vehicle too.The stock market is riggedAND overpriced, so is the real estate market here. By the way, you probably don't know that the average US citizen and average Floridian is not involved in the "stock market" at all.Most home buyers in Florida aren't buying and holding anything in the equity markets or even the fixed-income markets. I don't know what elitist planet you're living on. Additionally anyone that talks about "fun money" derived from the stock market is truly experiencing a true disconnect with the realities of most Floridians in the real estate SF market - either first time buyers or true retirees.What rubbish.
Can you tell us where you get your data?

My MIL is quite poor - lower lower middle class. Worked in the school system as an attendance lady for 30 years. She bought a 40K condo on the east coast of Florida. She gets ss, a pension from the school system and owns equities.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that putting away money in the markets (mutual funds, etc.) every month for 20-30 years won't result in vastly more money than putting it in the mattress.

60% of adults over 55 own equities....and my guess is that the percentage among those who move to Florida is probably even higher.

Here are some stats. Please provides yours.
Little Change in Percentage of Americans Who Own Stocks

I enclosed, BTW, a very conservative result of my own investing (I'm not a pro!) - almost 10% per year average since 2003. I expect to make less going forward - but I don't see how the average person can even hope to retire (or live) well without either active continuous income (owning real estate, etc.) or equities.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think will happen to Sarasota realestate?-screen-shot-2016-07-09-5.39.13  

Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
So where do us fools go to learn? I am ready to listen and learn. Thanks.

Quote:
The facts are that most Americans are not direct owners of equities and bonds (fixed income) as true "retail investors". Perhaps they too are dumb enough to conflate ownership within a mutual fund and/or garbage employee-offered 401k (which are almost criminal in most cases, and a total ripoff) and owning individual equities, gov't or corporate debt.Most of the 300mm population are not in these retail markets, but have been duped and sheparded into packaged product, including rather newer products like ETF's.And the real dummies are in variable annuities (or other lousy, stupid and dangerous insurance contracts). Believe what you wish, I know better.Giving your money to someone else to manage doesn't define accurately a "retail investor" in anything or any market.

Additionally, anyone (a retail buyer) who sits around, listening, and following and acting on the investment advice/recommendations from talking heads on cable shows such as CNNMoney or FOX, is a complete and utter fool.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Wow, you probably think a 401k is a great retirement vehicle too.The stock market is riggedAND overpriced, so is the real estate market here. By the way, you probably don't know that the average US citizen and average Floridian is not involved in the "stock market" at all.Most home buyers in Florida aren't buying and holding anything in the equity markets or even the fixed-income markets. I don't know what elitist planet you're living on. Additionally anyone that talks about "fun money" derived from the stock market is truly experiencing a true disconnect with the realities of most Floridians in the real estate SF market - either first time buyers or true retirees.What rubbish.
Nonsense, i lived in Fl for years, as did my extended family, and many still do.

Hell i am in Orlando as i type this. So please dont tell me what i know. Oh and yes 401k is an excellent tool and great way to get started. but one should have a mix of assets. As to Wall street being "rigged" that is just silly. All markets are "rigged" to some degree, you just have to make the best of it. The street does well for those who have a long time line and ignore CNBC etc. i am a small investor that know his limits understands i am not the smartest but also understands value when i see it.
I dont see a lot of value in FL RE right now, but then at no point did i claim to... I do see some limited value for investors willing to put in a lot of work and find good and well priced properties in solid locations.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Or become friends with someone like you who can school / advise me.

[quote=CapnCrunch;44714089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
So where do us fools go to learn? I am ready to listen and learn. Thanks.

Sure, you bet.......if you have a FA or broker, fire them especially here in SRQ. Most are almost criminal

Start with graduate school level courses in Economics, with focus on fundamental and technical analysis.

Get a MBA degree.

Go to work in the business.....not necessarily a major firm

Obtain a CFA, Series 7, Series 6, Series 63/66, Series 3, Series 24, Series 52/53 licenses, among others

Become an Institutional Trader (not a stock jockey)

If you can't do the above, the Library is free.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 23,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Nonsense, i lived in Fl for years, as did my extended family, and many still do.

Hell i am in Orlando as i type this. So please dont tell me what i know. Oh and yes 401k is an excellent tool and great way to get started. but one should have a mix of assets. As to Wall street being "rigged" that is just silly. All markets are "rigged" to some degree, you just have to make the best of it. The street does well for those who have a long time line and ignore CNBC etc. i am a small investor that know his limits understands i am not the smartest but also understands value when i see it.
I dont see a lot of value in FL RE right now, but then at no point did i claim to... I do see some limited value for investors willing to put in a lot of work and find good and well priced properties in solid locations.
410k's are major scams, there is also no such thing as an "employer contribution", no body gives you money, especially an employer, you pay for it but you clearly don't understand the product and have never read the prospectus, or the plan's entire disclosure or detail. If you had, you would know that most 401k plans "sold" to companies for their employees to "pick from" are garbage, and every employee ends up losing about 30% of their set-aside investment dollars. 401k's aren't "excellent" for anybody other than Wall Street money managers who use your money and gamble with it.Garbage stuff.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM

147 posts, read 173,685 times
The Housing Market Is Waving a Red Flag - Bloomberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area